Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 09-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in
Default risk of death

There are studies online such as this one: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062701481.html
It talks about there being a large risk of death with weightloss. It makes me worry because I want to lose weight for the sake of my back and my knees. Do people here think I should let studies like this stop me from losing weight?
Sorry I couldn't think of a better place to put this.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This is such an individual matter -- in regards to both your health and your aspirations -- that nobody can advise you as well as you can advise yourself. You say you want to lose weight for the sake of your back and knees, which sounds as if you're in pain. If so, the question may be how much pain are you willing to endure for a few additional months or years of life? In my case, the answer would be, "Not very much," but you may have responsibilities or long-term goals that mandate living as long as you can. As far as studies go, they can only give you a general picture of conditions that hold true within a group of people; you can't predict individual cases very well on the basis of statistics. For example, if a study were to show that a majority of Australians are allergic to cats, that wouldn't make you allergic. The only advice I can give you is to rank your priorities in order and do what you think will bemost conducive to a happy and productive life. And good luck.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Isa
In search of....

Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Isa has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I really do not think this is the best place for support in losing weight. It would probably be more beneficial to find a more health orientated forum/site.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

" The only advice I can give you is to rank your priorities in order and do what you think will bemost conducive to a happy and productive life. "

Exactly.

You have to decide whether the benefits are likely to outweigh the potential costs.

The choice I made was to lose some weight in order to have a better quality of life. I would happily accept a shorter lifespan as the cost of that weight loss because my quality of life has increased to the point that I feel it's a fair trade-off. But, I don't have kids to be around for, and won't have grandkids to watch grow up either. So, I don't have any particular reason to choose quantity over quality when it comes to lifespan.

I don't think the study is really that significant though. There are so many variables to be considered, and it wasn't a particularly large or detailed study to begin with. It's just one theory and one study.

Tracy