Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Habaneros.. What to do with them

I have received a large quantity of habanero peppers. A family member purchased serrano and jalapeno pepper plants at the beginning of the season and got six habanero plants by mistake.

I'm going to process the peppers into sauce, but I'm not quite sure if I'm going to prepare a mash to cure like Tabasco does with their peppers, or make a pepper relish and bottle it.

I think the relish would be too hot for anything other than cleaning car battery terminals. So i'm leaning towards the mash.

Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
BubbleButtBabe
No one cares anyway

BubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging in

I have a friend that makes pepper jam or jelly from hot peppers..Not sure what type she uses but she loves it..

Only two miracles are worth seeing:
The miracle of loving
And
The miracle of forgiving-Sri Chinmoy
BubbleButtBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

You CAN chop them up and freeze them until you decide...
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

And if you mince them up really fine, you can sprinkle a couple of milligrams into your scrambled eggs. I promise it'll wake you up.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

What ever you do, don't saute them up in large quantities.. that'll clear the house out of people.. (I had a brother that cooked with them often. I'd have to leave for the afternoon)
Old 10-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

They're good in chili, which is a winter staple for me. But I live in a state that gets real winters. Don't add more than 2 or 3 habaneros to a large pot of chili unless you like it super spicy. A little goes a long way. I suppose they also would go well with gumbo, if you are more inclined to make gumbo than chili. Both are good on cold-weather days, IMHO. Ironically gumbo is a Southern food, but I'm Minnesotan & love it in the dead of January or February when it's 20 below.

You can dry them out & save them for later. You don't need to use them all up at first.

Last edited by EMH1701; 10-29-2012 at 04:09 PM.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You could weaponize them.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Make a SUPER verde sauce!!!
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

You could always make your own salsa!

Recipe
Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
You could weaponize them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishty View Post
Make a SUPER verde sauce!!!
We said the same thing.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I love love love spicy foods, but I like to eat crackers smeared with goat cheese, honey, and a tiny slice of raw habanero.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Phaal. I took a foodie challenge list on Facebook and this was one of the foods I haven't tried yet. It's super hot curry, basically. You can make it with chicken or lamb, or vegetarian, I'm sure.

Some recipes call for ghost peppers, but I see no reason why you couldn't use habaneros.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #13
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
Phaal. I took a foodie challenge list on Facebook and this was one of the foods I haven't tried yet. It's super hot curry, basically. You can make it with chicken or lamb, or vegetarian, I'm sure.

Some recipes call for ghost peppers, but I see no reason why you couldn't use habaneros.
Safer too!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
EMH1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Safer too!
I'd think you can eat ghost peppers safely in chili, so long as one remembers that a little bit goes a long way. You don't have to have more than one. Also, removing the seeds/membrane will remove some of the heat. And additionally, put dairy on the chili like sour cream and/or cheese to counteract the spices, and have a cold glass of milk handy. Water only spreads the fire.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
bbwfairygirl

bbwfairygirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbbwfairygirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbbwfairygirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearInYourHand View Post
I love love love spicy foods, but I like to eat crackers smeared with goat cheese, honey, and a tiny slice of raw habanero.
Yum, me too!! Although usually jalapenos or serranos since I cook with them more frequently. Good with seaweed crackers too