Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Clothing/Fashion

Old 07-10-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
Jersey79

Jersey79 has said some nice things
Default a quick question about Plus sized Clothing...

Hi, Forgive me if I am in the dark on this topic but I am neither a BBW nor do I have a BBW on my arm right now to ask. My question is as a larger woman would you consider it hard finding stores that carry your size? Also do you shop online for many items? I'm curious because it seems that there is an obvious abundance of larger women these days (hopefully societry lays off and we can see more). However, when I'm walking in the mall I don't see many stores catering to larger women and I'm not sure if deptartment stores carry an abundance of larger sized clothing. To me there is nothing sexier than a big girl dressed in nice clothes and confidence that comes with it. I'm also just breaking into the designer clothing importing business and I'm wondering if there is as much of a market as I think. Anyone input would be greatly appreciated.
Jersey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!

Is it easy to find clothes in bigger sizes? No, but it's not like it's that difficult either, once you know where to look.

There are more and more stores that are including large sizes in their inventory, but it's likely that they will always be outnumbered by the average-size-range stores in malls and shopping centers. American retailers seems to realize that there is a market for plus sizes, and it's slowly becoming the norm for department stores (though, often back-of-the-bus areas of the building) and larger retailers to have plus sizes, but so far, the boutique market is dominated by only three major retailers (as far as I know, just as a shopper): Fashion Bug, Lane Bryant and The Avenue. One of my personal favorites in the brick and mortar segment is Torrid, but it has a smaller market share.

Online is a different world, and with some research, many sources can be found, in several countries. I'm comfortable saying that there's virtually nothing you can't find online - and if there is, there's another segment that can get it custom made for you.

If you're serious about breaking into importing, then there is a huge (no pun intended) market to be tapped. I encourage you to do a LOT of research to see where you might find the best opportunity.
SamanthaNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I was most tuned into your words "nice clothes".This is the dilemma that fat women face when looking for a VARIETY.
I am all for the trendy clothing I see, but I do tire of going to online stores and seeing mostly capri pants and short tops.Much of the clothing I do see that I like goes to maybe a 3X.I sometimes sit there thinking.."wow..just make these nice clothes a little bigger(or a lot).
Plus sized clothing tends to wallow in flowing velvet( don't get me worng..I love velvet) or teeshirts with little turtles on them..oy.
So, please do not stuff the market with more of the same.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey79
Hi, Forgive me if I am in the dark on this topic but I am neither a BBW nor do I have a BBW on my arm right now to ask. My question is as a larger woman would you consider it hard finding stores that carry your size? Also do you shop online for many items? I'm curious because it seems that there is an obvious abundance of larger women these days (hopefully societry lays off and we can see more). However, when I'm walking in the mall I don't see many stores catering to larger women and I'm not sure if deptartment stores carry an abundance of larger sized clothing. To me there is nothing sexier than a big girl dressed in nice clothes and confidence that comes with it. I'm also just breaking into the designer clothing importing business and I'm wondering if there is as much of a market as I think. Anyone input would be greatly appreciated.
The problem with importing, is that most countries where you could buy things cheap and make a good profit here in the US, have no clue how to design for BBWs and especially SSBBWs. I have a friend who started a small business and was importing clothing from Indonesia. It took her several years and many trips there working with the people that make the clothing in getting patterns right so that fit would be OK. And is a BBW herself, and did some sewing and understood a little about designing patterns, etc.

Do you know how to sew & construct clothing? Do you know how to make patterns, and work with huge variance of sizes and body shapes of BBWs and SSBBWs? If you do not, you have some huge strikes against you. So if you are serious, then I suggest a long stint at a fashion institute learning how to design and make patterns, how to sew and construct for starters. Because should you go to China or India for cheap stuff, you will need to show them how to fit a large sized woman. Cause those little people are clueless.
Sandie S-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaNY
There are more and more stores that are including large sizes in their inventory, but it's likely that they will always be outnumbered by the average-size-range stores in malls and shopping centers. American retailers seems to realize that there is a market for plus sizes, and it's slowly becoming the norm for department stores (though, often back-of-the-bus areas of the building) and larger retailers to have plus sizes, but so far, the boutique market is dominated by only three major retailers (as far as I know, just as a shopper): Fashion Bug, Lane Bryant and The Avenue. One of my personal favorites in the brick and mortar segment is Torrid, but it has a smaller market share.
There is also Catherine's, at least around here.

Personally I get a lot of items at Kohls.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!

As a ssbbw....shopping for clothes is a serious pain in the ass....but thats partly because I have style and I wont wear the first thing I see...ohh and Im cheap, lol, so it has to be in the buget. But looking back....shopping now is cake compared to what is was shopping as a BBT at age 10...before plus sizes were standard.
BeautifulPoeticDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
truth38

truth38 can now change their title

Clothing for bbw/ssbbw women have always been to me a problem.
Not that you cannot find clothing but not everyone wants to wear flowers all the time, box shirts, or t-shirts that look like teenagers or children should wear them.
While in China last year I met a couple who were making clothing for women but they stopped at size 3x. They said they did not think the larger size would sell. I tried to assist them in styles, patterns, etc for bigger sizes but they were not interested.

This is one of the reasons why I travel to China. I have my students there who owns a factory help me design sexy, sensual, and sophisticated COMFORTABLE clothing for women. The ideal is to have the clothing made by body type,(pear, apple, apple bottom, etc) size,(1x-12x) and type of material .Hopefully when the products are finished I can display them.

I also would like to design qipaos for bbw/ssbbw to show the beauty of Asian dress on a sexy woman.