Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Has the baking begun?

I just got out my "cookie bible" to figure out what kinds of cookies i want to make for xmas this year. Has anyone else started? We're having family to the house for the first time ever, so i want a large amount of cookies.

So far i want to make the following:
Grandma's sugar cookies
snickerdoodles (hubs request)
Chocolate cookies with white chips (max's request)
Raspberry pinwheels
strawberry cream cheese bar cookie

I will probably do some sort of drop cookie with m&ms for Alex too.

My father in law is a BIG baked goods enthusiast, so i want a lot of stuff on hand. The only time we eat doughnuts or pastries is when he's visiting.
I'm thinking a batch or two every weekend. Even if it's to make the dough and bake later..
What are you guys planning?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
bbwlibrarian
possibly revolutionary

bbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized rep

No cookies this year (it's not traditional in my family, anyway), but we're making the following "sweet treats":

- Gift of the Magi Bread (recipe is at http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/G...the-Magi-Bread but that's not where I got it; our old family recipe is nearly verbatim to this. But, seriously, this is the best tasting thing at the Christmas table!)
- A traditional Christmas pudding
- Mock Toffee (recipe at http://www.bhg.com/recipe/candy/mock-toffee/)
- Peanut butter potato candy (traditional Appalachian recipe)
- Homemade fudge
- Peppermint ice cream

We bought stollen and petits fours, and we usually end up making truffles out of the leftover dried fruit, so I'm not too sad about the lack of cookies! I won't miss them.
bbwlibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've made just a few. Normally I really do lots and lots, but I ran out of time. What I have done so far:

Pistacchio thumbprints
Butterscotch thumbprints
Pecan tassies

Want to make:

Cathedral windows
Divinity
Fudge
cream cheese mints

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Next weekend! I can't wait!
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Leesa

Leesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeesa is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Exclamation Cookies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni View Post
Next weekend! I can't wait!
Save me some!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
EMH1701

EMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityEMH1701 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I made gingerbread cookies the other day. I was hungry for them.
EMH1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm going to be making a sugar cookie house this weekend. I just need to hit the $1 store to get some boxes of candy. I'm waiting on payday to get ingredients for the other cookies.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I made 8 dozen chocolate chip and walnut cookies today.

Quote:
Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
I adapted the recipe from the Nestle toll house cookie recipe, and made a few tweaks to make a better cookie.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
RedheadinNJ
found Mr. Treats-me-Right

RedheadinNJ can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesRedheadinNJ can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Next weekend I'll be making the cookies. The plan is for the following cookies fluffernutter, mint chocolate chip, chocolate turtles, lemon crinkles plus cream cheese mints, drunken chocolate covered cherries & caramel dipped/chocolate covered pretzels. I'm thinking about doing a test run on an eggnog cheesecake too.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

Ugh everyone but me is sick.. so i didn't get a chance to bake. I'm hoping to make some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies tomorrow while Alex is at school. Sick family gives me little time for fun baking. I got some really cute containers today at the 99cent store to store these cookies i want to make
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well, what I'd like for Christmas cookies are:

-- Zimmetschtärne
-- Mailänderli
-- Schpitzbuebe
-- Brunsli
-- Chräbeli

Unfortunately, I don't even know what they might be called in English.
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
LifeTraveller
Sporadic Poster

LifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this boardLifeTraveller carries a lot of weight on this board

It's been ongoing here for about a week. I've made chocolate chip, iced pumpkin cookies, cherry shortbread, lemon shortbread, snickerdoodles, oatmeal chocolate chip, with dried cherries, and just plain sugar cookies. As a rule I don't make cut-outs anymore, but sometimes people will ask for some. . then I'll do my best. . So far I think it's been about 20-24 dozen cookies. . a light year actually. I also make "no bake" oatmeal cookies for my sister in law, but since I don't bake em, I didn't count them. .lol

I will still bake more cookies, but in between it's been cheesecakes, for some folks that like them. Lots of flour, sugar, eggs, and parchment paper have worked their way through the kitchen this year....and a bit more to go. . It's a lot of work, but when people enjoy it. . What's a little effort? Which reminds me, I need to bake some this evening. . Hmmmm probably oatmeal with the cherries in them. . woohoo My grandson's favorite. .
Old 12-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My wife has been getting excited about baking and decided to attempt a clementine cake, using the tiny oranges that appear in the grocery this time of year. Her efforts have been stalled, however, by the fact that the recipe calls for 'light cream' and the grocery only has 'heavy cream'. I suggested that she consider half-and-half, but she is determined to do this right or not at all. Joan of Arc had much the same attitude, I understand.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
penguin
Fnord

penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.penguin has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'll be making some sugar cookies this weekend with my daughter, and I'm going to try to make some Christmas tree cupcakes as we're having some of her friends over on Sunday.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I googled your cookie names. They look sooo delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Well, what I'd like for Christmas cookies are:

-- Zimmetschtärne
-- Mailänderli
-- Schpitzbuebe
-- Brunsli
-- Chräbeli

Unfortunately, I don't even know what they might be called in English.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #16
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm making mince pies today to take to my friend's house tomorrow. I'm cheating a bit by using readymade pastry...shhh!
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Pandasaur

Pandasaur is a member of the 500 clubPandasaur is a member of the 500 clubPandasaur is a member of the 500 clubPandasaur is a member of the 500 clubPandasaur is a member of the 500 clubPandasaur is a member of the 500 club

I need to get my butt in gear and start on the pumpkin spice cupcakes but I have been sooooo lazy...
Pandasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
bbwlibrarian
possibly revolutionary

bbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized rep

Just finished making these Christmas Scones in anticipation for Sunday brunch. Mmm, mmm, mmm!
bbwlibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
one2one
Sentient little hedonist

one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!one2one has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I don't think I'll have time to make more than the Baklava this year. It's a family tradition. My brother makes English toffee, my mom makes a variation of Patitsa with almond paste, and I do Baklava.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

Since i've been so sick, I only managed a double batch of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, sugar cookies and chocolate chocolate chip cookies with white chips..

The family is happy with that and i'm glad. Cuz just that baking tired me out. We had a day without power on Friday or I might have made the pumpkin cookies i wanted.