Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
samuraiscott
True Story

samuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticed
Default Memorial Tattoo

We have had the tattoo thread, now I want ideas on a memorial tattoo for my Mom. I plan to get one in January from a childhood friend of mine who now owns his own tattoo shop. I have found some ideas online that I like, and my friend Tiffany found some as well.

I am looking for something that I can look at in the years to come and be comforted and proud that I memorialized her at the same time. I was thinking about having Angel Wings incorporated into it because my Dad's nickname for her was Angel. She was the most beautiful person in the world; I just want to do her memory justice. Soooooooo Any Ideas?

http://samuraiscott.blogspot.com/
samuraiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

When my mother passed, my sister got a tat of a crying angel. I don't have any pics of her tattoo but this is the statue the tat is based on:

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.

Last edited by CastingPearls; 01-06-2013 at 09:37 PM.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
samuraiscott
True Story

samuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticedsamuraiscott never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls View Post
When my mother passed, my sister got a tat of a crying angel. I don't have any pics of her tattoo but this is the statue the tat is based on:
That's an awesome idea, Lainey. Thank you for sharing.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Depends, maybe...

on things you might want to decide-on before evaluating specific ideas:
  • relative size & cost.
  • your anticipated threshold of pain & possible location (e.g., Since it's more important for you to be able to look-at/see-it yourself, you probably wouldn't consider getting anything on your back; but, if for employment purposes, you want it to be less visible under a shirt, your chest or upper arm would also offer pretty large canvases as well. Likewise, the lighter & clearer skin on the interior of your wrist or forearm can discretely carry much smaller or more subtle designs.
  • specialty & style (If you're set on your friend doing this for you, what does he, personally, do best? If he's a black & white portrait artist, hey, find a good picture & there you go... If he's better at something like calligraphy, think about whether or not you want something, I dunno, more explicit, i.e. a name & a date or, perhaps, a bit more oblique, e.g. a favorite expression/quote. A guy I used to know actually had, if I remember correctly, an actual bar-code that roughly translated to a certain date. Obviously, the more it's both/either visible/abstract, the more random strangers will just walk up to you and be like "What is that supposed to mean?)
  • mood (do you want something more somber or austere-looking? Or maybe it should it be, like, light, whimsical-even?
  • timeline (do you want something that will take about an hour or do you want something that might take several sittings? Or, maybe, something that will look good transitionally, but that will give you flexibility to add to it down the line from time to time.

Seriously, the more carefully you consider stuff like this ahead of time, the better & more efficiently you & your friend will both arrive at & execute a concept that really satisfies you. Angels & Wings, both together & separately, are very common features in lots of different types of tattoos, which is why your friend will probably have loads of flash examples to help jump-start you in one direction or another. But it will certainly help to know which way that is, in the first place...
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

For my mom I have a broken heart with a rose around it and a banner that reads Mom and her birth and death year. For my pops I have just a shaded cross and his death year as his birth year was the same as my mom's. I incorporated them into more of a single tattoo instead of two separate ones.

Here is shot of them.

Last edited by LeoGibson; 01-18-2013 at 06:23 PM.
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
samuraiscott
True Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
For my mom I have a broken heart with a rose around it and a banner that reads Mom and her birth and death year. For my pops I have just a shaded cross and his death year as his birth year was the same as my mom's. I incorporated them into more of a single tattoo instead of two separate ones.

Here is shot of them.
I really like the fact that you incorporated them together. I might do that and instead of it just being for my Mama. Thanks for sharing Leo

Old 12-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
bbwfairygirl

bbwfairygirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbbwfairygirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbbwfairygirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
  • relative size & cost.
  • your anticipated threshold of pain & possible location (e.g., Since it's more important for you to be able to look-at/see-it yourself, you probably wouldn't consider getting anything on your back; but, if for employment purposes, you want it to be less visible under a shirt, your chest or upper arm would also offer pretty large canvases as well. Likewise, the lighter & clearer skin on the interior of your wrist or forearm can discretely carry much smaller or more subtle designs.
  • specialty & style (If you're set on your friend doing this for you, what does he, personally, do best? If he's a black & white portrait artist, hey, find a good picture & there you go... If he's better at something like calligraphy, think about whether or not you want something, I dunno, more explicit, i.e. a name & a date or, perhaps, a bit more oblique, e.g. a favorite expression/quote. A guy I used to know actually had, if I remember correctly, an actual bar-code that roughly translated to a certain date. Obviously, the more it's both/either visible/abstract, the more random strangers will just walk up to you and be like "What is that supposed to mean?)
  • mood (do you want something more somber or austere-looking? Or maybe it should it be, like, light, whimsical-even?
  • timeline (do you want something that will take about an hour or do you want something that might take several sittings? Or, maybe, something that will look good transitionally, but that will give you flexibility to add to it down the line from time to time.

Seriously, the more carefully you consider stuff like this ahead of time, the better & more efficiently you & your friend will both arrive at & execute a concept that really satisfies you. Angels & Wings, both together & separately, are very common features in lots of different types of tattoos, which is why your friend will probably have loads of flash examples to help jump-start you in one direction or another. But it will certainly help to know which way that is, in the first place...
I would definitely agree with all of the above. Getting a tattoo is a process you want to consider carefully, even if it's in a location you may not see on a regular basis. Also consider location if your weight tends to fluctuate or you intend to lose/gain.

Think also about something that has meaning for you about her. The tattoo I got in memory of my hubby is something that makes me smile when I get to see it. (I worked corporate before moving to WAH so I kept my tats in locations I could easily keep covered.) It has relevance for me.

I didn't add dates to mine. I felt just his initials were enough.

bbwfairygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default ^Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwfairygirl View Post
"..something that has meaning for you about her."
Because, for example, a lot of people could look at yours and, except for the initials, not realize that it's a memorial. Whereas, when I see black & white portraits, I tend to immediately wonder if it's a memorial, even as much as that's, obviously, not always the case. Personal tastes, your unique relationship with the person, these should be the building blocks or lines within which it best takes shape.

Anyone following this Ink Masters series? Not exactly my type of show. But the competition aspect is sort of compelling for how style & specialty come into play, artists depending both on maximizing opportunities to show-case what it is they do best as well as how well they can adapt outside of their own comfort-zone. Really, a lesson in how, in the right hands & with the appropriate design, any style can produce some really fantastic work.
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'd try to incorporate some elements that symbolize your Mom. Maybe something that she loved or that triggers a good memory for you. For example, is there a flower or jewel that she really loved? A favorite possession? Some colors she always decorated with or wore? Something to really personalize the piece.
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
bbwfairygirl

bbwfairygirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbbwfairygirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbbwfairygirl can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Quote:

"...something that has meaning for you about her."
Because, for example, a lot of people could look at yours and, except for the initials, not realize that it's a memorial. Whereas, when I see black & white portraits, I tend to immediately wonder if it's a memorial, even as much as that's, obviously, not always the case. Personal tastes, your unique relationship with the person, these should be the building blocks or lines within which it best takes shape.

Anyone following this Ink Masters series? Not exactly my type of show. But the competition aspect is sort of compelling for how style & specialty come into play, artists depending both on maximizing opportunities to show-case what it is they do best as well as how well they can adapt outside of their own comfort-zone. Really, a lesson in how, in the right hands & with the appropriate design, any style can produce some really fantastic work.
Agreed. I also had to consider the fact that since I lost a partner vs parent or child and I was young yet, there was the possibility of meeting someone new. I thought about how it would be for them if they had to see something that was more "specifically about him" rather than something that could be visually pleasing "in general".

My one stepdaughter chose to get the kanji symbol for daughter and my husband's and his first wife's initials on each side. She also chose to exclude dates. It's actually quite beautiful...graceful if one could consider a tattoo as such.

I don't watch my tv so can't say that I've even heard of Ink Masters...lol

Last edited by bbwfairygirl; 12-22-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo...
bbwfairygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
lovelocs
Nunc est Bibendum

lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lovelocs has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Everybody's got good ideas. I just wanted to suggest, perhaps, a butterfly, since they are representative of transforming souls. I looked up "Celtic butterfly" and there were some nice patterns, which were recognizable, and masculine. Maybe incorporate her initials.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #12
Victoria08

Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Victoria08 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
  • relative size & cost.

Those are all good points.

I actually find tattoos to be quite personal (to the point where I don't tell people what one of mine means), and so I'm not sure I can give any pointers on the design itself. Having a good artist is half the battle, to be honest. The tattoo I have for my grandad is vague enough that people don't immediately think it's a memorial piece, which I like. For him, I have his last name and a rose on the back of my neck. Simple, but highly meaningful for me. As long as what you get means something special to you, then that is all that matters. Maybe take a list of ideas to your artist and see what he can come up with for a cohesive piece, and just build from that.
Victoria08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #13
sweetfrancaise

sweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetfrancaise knows EXACTLY what's going on

I've been debating getting a memorial tattoo of sorts as well. Three years ago, my boyfriend died in a car accident. The thought of getting something to memorialize him--and what I've been through since--keeps recurring. Currently the idea is to get an art nouveau-styled daffodil, the flower of remembrance and renewal. At this point, it's about getting up the courage to just do it already!

It may be nice, as others have said, to do something a little more abstract in memory of your mom. It makes it more personal, I think.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Thumbs up

It's about damn time we have a thread like this.

EDIT: Whoops, I read the thread title backwards.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
oliver141180

oliver141180 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesoliver141180 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
I think the key bit is as you say, personal tastes. Some people may want something that shows exactly what it is, others may want something that only has relevance to them (and their loved one).

I have part of one of my tattoo's done as a private (unless you can read japanese!) message for my dad. I found a tattooist willing to mix his ashes with the ink that was used so became a very personal thing. Not suggesting thats for everyone, but was just my thing. Did take a while to sort out as not many tattooists are willing to do it (although as long as the cremation process is done properly, and the ashes are sterile, there are no issues with it).

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you decide to get done.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
Sweetie
Where is the Love?

Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
I would definitely agree with all of the above. Getting a tattoo is a process you want to consider carefully, even if it's in a location you may not see on a regular basis. Also consider location if your weight tends to fluctuate or you intend to lose/gain.

Think also about something that has meaning for you about her. The tattoo I got in memory of my hubby is something that makes me smile when I get to see it. (I worked corporate before moving to WAH so I kept my tats in locations I could easily keep covered.) It has relevance for me.

I didn't add dates to mine. I felt just his initials were enough.

That is a beautiful tattoo.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Sweetie
Where is the Love?

Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweetie has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I think there were some really great suggestions here. But the thing I want to say is that I hope and pray that some day my son will feel the way y'all do about your parents.