Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Spiffing up canned soup.

Do you do this? If so, would you care to share your recipe(s)?

One of my favorite canned soups to help out a little is Progresso Pea Soup. I sauté a minced garlic clove or two in a little olive oil, add the soup, and then finish it off with a little sherry. Excellent!

-Jim

Last edited by SoVerySoft; 02-14-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: combating auto-correct.
smithnwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Jah
Veggie girl

Jah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging inJah makes people happy simply by logging in

I usually add frozen mixed vegetables to canned soup, maybe some sort of noodles and then maybe some meat or meat substitute.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Campbell's makes a Mexican chicken tortilla soup (w/rice) that I mercilessly smother with a handful or four of shredded taco blend cheese, a shot glass of hot sauce and top it off with a stack of french fried onions. I eat it over extra rice, usually yellow or Spanish style. By the time it's ready to eat, it's more solid than liquid.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I grew up mixing oriental top ramen with Campbells vegetarian vegetable soup.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've always added tiny noodles and garlic to tomato soup to make healthy,and hearty sgetti-o's! My classes love it.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Please note: "Progressive" should have been "Progresso". Damned spell checker. It's too late to edit it now.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'll mix Cream of Potato with 1/2 can milk, 1/4 cup sour cream and browned hamburger.. over rice, or over mashed potato, or over wide egg noodles.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'll mix a can of vegetarian vegatable with browned hamburger and a tablespoon plain mustard for a sloppy joe mix.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

I like to make a batch of hot buttered (or butter lovers) popcorn and throw it by the handful into cream of tomato soup.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Pandasaur

Pandasaur is a member of the 500 clubPandasaur is a member of the 500 clubPandasaur is a member of the 500 clubPandasaur is a member of the 500 clubPandasaur is a member of the 500 clubPandasaur is a member of the 500 club

I add rotisserie chicken and frozen veggies to mine, sometimes even a fresh tomato
Pandasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I like to make a batch of hot buttered (or butter lovers) popcorn and throw it by the handful into cream of tomato soup.
I do that with either croutons or a big hot piece of Texas garlic toast with cheese.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

I'll nuke a package of broccoli and cauliflower flowrettes(?), chop them up, and add to Broccoli cheddar soup, and serve in bread bowls.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Add a can of Cream of mushroom to 2 cups of prepared cream gravy, served over biscuits.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I add in chopped (frozen) kale or spinach to all sorts of canned soups, but in particular Italian wedding soup.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
Mckee

Mckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized repMckee has super-sized rep

I usually add croutons to all kind of soups. Beans and onions too, according to the type of soup.
Mckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I really don't do much to canned soup but eat it as is with crumbled crackers. This thread reminds me however of a dish my mother prepared when I was growing up that I absolutely came to loath due to how much my father loved it and how frequently it was served. Mom would brown hamburger with some chopped onion, drain the fat, and add a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup. Served on a warm hamburger bun with sweet pickles on the side, iceberg salad with Catalina dressing. I was often angry at my dad for a multitude of valid and invalid reasons, so just the smell of "Hamburg and Mushroom" cooking would make me cringe. Now that he's gone and I haven't had this in 30 years, I think about making it again, but with the loads of fresh mushrooms I always thought this dish was missing.

Anyone else grow up with Hamburger and Mushroom or eat it now?

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

One of my favorites when I was growing up was this easy "corn chowder"

- In a fair sized sauce pan, fry up a few strips of bacon until they crispy. Set the bacon aside and pour off the most liquid of the grease, but don't clean the pan.

- (optional) dice up about a tablespoon of onion, and simmer in same pan as above until kind of translucent. Leave them in the pan, and add

- one can of cream of mushroom soup, and

- one small can of creamed corn.

- Stir the above together, and keep stirring regularly (over low heat) until warm.

- Put in bowls, and crumble the crispy bacon on top.

(I seriously loved this recipe for years, and used to make it for myself. But we cook quite low salt these days, and I just can't tolerate the amount of salt in canned soup anymore because I'm just not used to it. sigh)
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFatGirl View Post
I really don't do much to canned soup but eat it as is with crumbled crackers. This thread reminds me however of a dish my mother prepared when I was growing up that I absolutely came to loath due to how much my father loved it and how frequently it was served. Mom would brown hamburger with some chopped onion, drain the fat, and add a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup. Served on a warm hamburger bun with sweet pickles on the side, iceberg salad with Catalina dressing. I was often angry at my dad for a multitude of valid and invalid reasons, so just the smell of "Hamburg and Mushroom" cooking would make me cringe. Now that he's gone and I haven't had this in 30 years, I think about making it again, but with the loads of fresh mushrooms I always thought this dish was missing.

Like a sloppy joe? or more open faced?

My mother makes a version of this, but its more of a gravy served over mashed taters and/or buttered toast/biscuits.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

I tend to use tomato soup as a soup starter for a variety of chunky vegetable/kiebasa/tortillini/jambalaya/etc. I used to swear by Campbell's as the one and only; but I'm getting swayed by the range of organic/designer/yuppie tomato soup.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #20
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:

Something sorta like it but tossed in with melted whatever cheese was in the house, into a pound of cooked elbow macaroni and topped with french fried onions or buttered breadcrumbs -like a casserole. We called it cheeseburger casserole but love it. NO PICKLES.

Free me, free yourself
No longer hold me

Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #21
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
Please note: "Progressive" should have been "Progresso". Damned spell checker. It's too late to edit it now.
not too late for meee
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #22
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

^ ^ ^ ^

Thanks, sweetie! I try not to look any more stupid than God made me.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #23
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
^ ^ ^ ^

Thanks, sweetie! I try not to look any more stupid than God made me.
Lol I tried to rep you! I sure love your self-deprecating nature lol always gives me a hearty giggle
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #24
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Mama made me tater tot casserole,which is brown ground beef,add an onion,a few cans of cream of mushroom,a little garlic salt. Layer it in a pan with cheese and top with tots. It could feed masses,if needed.

AND My Daddy loves Hamburger Supreme(just typing it makes me shudder).
It's ground beef,tons of thick cut onions,drain,add cans of pork n beans,and at the very last minute,add a huge can of whole kernel corn. Served with cole slaw. Ugh.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote