Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 07-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Breaking chairs and furniture

Candy posted this incredible thread about the saga of her broken chair.
Candy's broken chair!

How bout the rest of us. We've all been there. And some of us have pictures.

My worst chair smashing situation happened at a Quinceanera in Florida. They had those rented white teeny tiny folding chairs made out of plastic. I was trying to be careful, but after getting up for a drink, I sat down and the entire thing flattened to the ground.
The chairs had been circled around a group of my friends and folks visiting the town I didn't know very well. On my way down I smashed my head on a plastic table. Of course, everyone jumped to my aid, and moved the totally flat chair out of the way, asking, "Are you ok?!?!" I was totally and utterly mortified, but tried to play it off.

I've done the same thing to my parent's kitchen table, but wasn't so dramatic.

And you?
Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

*L*

I was going to start a thread about this subject.Yesterday, I was noticing that the chair I sit on at the computer?..it is making some scary noises!!!!

I broke a chair of my ex boyfriends.He then took it to where he was working at the time to get it fixed....I was not too happy to know that he co-workers would get to know WHY it broke.The fix did not last long and the chair had to be tossed.I think that was the first time that I knew just how fat I was...heh.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've broken several chairs (although not to Candy's degree, but I don't go sitting on chairs like... just inviting disaster!).

Anyway, the one that always sticks out most in my mind is an office chair I had at work in about.... 93? It was my chair for a long time, pretty room... good chair.

So anyway, I sat down one day and felt a pop and I was sitting at an angle. Not a huge angle, but I certainly noticed it. So I got up, looked down, saw that one of the 5 legs had broken right at the edge of where they all meet. It had a black plastic top on it that was still in tact.

I lifted the seat up a bit and the leg popped back into place "visually" - so I walked away. People were always coming up and sitting in other people's chairs. I knew it was only a matter of time.

Mary, the tiniest girl in the office, sat in my chair a few mins later.... and boom - off it went, right to the floor on the side. She was unharmed, and everyone marveled at how a lightweight like her snapped the leg.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
activistfatgirl

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh, AnnMarie, that's evil! I love it!
Old 07-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
Gordo Mejor

Gordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Souplantation

One time after a NAAFA local chapter meeting a bunch of us went down to the local Souplantation. We got our food and had a tasty meal. After eating, I pushed back my chair just a little and stretched out my arms and yawned.

There was a loud SNAP!. The back of my chair had snapped in two. All the women in the group looked at me and started giggling a bit. At 6'1", 190 lbs, I was the lightest in the group. One woman told me that she was glad it was me and not her.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
KerrieKat

KerrieKat can now change their title

i've always lived in fear of that happening. But even at 468 pounds it never happened. But strangely enaough when i got down to 405...i cracked a toilet seat. Go figure!
KerrieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
EbonySSBBW
California Dreams

EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have broken a few chairs in my day but one of the funniest things that I caused destruction to was not a piece of furniture. I used to have one of those big stability balls that is used in the gym. I would sit on it at the computer, it was fun to bounce on. Well this was during a time when I had lost a lot of weight and was gaining it back (not intentionally). One day I was sitting on that ball at the computer and I heard a pop. Before I knew it...I was completely on the floor. I had popped that sucker! I love those balls but the next one that I bought I made sure had a 500lb weight limit and burst protection so that if it popped it would deflate slowly and give a fat girl a chance to get off. LOL

"The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts" Marcus A. Antoninus

"If I were asked to give what I consider the single most useful bit of advice for all humanity, it would be this: Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life, and when it comes, hold your head high. Look it squarely in the eye, and say, I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me" Ann Landers
EbonySSBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
lipmixgirl
Mayor of Fatopia

lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lipmixgirl has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default picture it - the new chinese restaurant...

so there i am, having lunch with my mom at the grand opening of a chinese restaurant... (the furniture was straight off of grand st. in chinatown)... i sit down on one of the wooden chairs and attempt to scoot forward towards the table... to which i hear ::crack:: as the chair does not scoot forward but kind of slant forward... i looked up at my mother in horror exclaiming in a hush "mom, i think i broke the chair!"

thus, my mother, who is a very cool and collected woman, advised me to just get up and trade out the chair for another one... therefore, i very gently stood up, swapped out the chair sat down, repeated the aforementioned steps, and all i hear is ::crack::...

apparently, as it turns out, the restaurant purchased bum chairs and many, many patrons - both large and small were snapping chair hinges left and right...

be that story as it may, on an unrelated note, i still am paranoid about lawn chairs and will never sit in those fabulous folding canvasesque ones...

"never argue with the mothers..." Shivs

The Big Apple in The Big Apple...

"Do your Fat Civic Duty daily!"
-
Aris - Mayor of Fatopia

condom faerie, panty faerie, bikini faerie, adipositivity faerie, snack faerie...
aris - bringing fat happiness to you...

lipmixgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My name is Misty..and I'm a floor sitter..meaning I'll sit in the floor or on the ground before I even consider sitting in a chair that looks shady.

I haven't broken a chair yet, but I had a teacher in middle school that was a bhm and he broke one once..on the stage, in front of the whole school and whenever I see a chair that worries me, that image replays in my mind. I felt so sorry for him.

Now granted, I understand there are those rare guys that get off on that stuff, but he better not approach me..LOL
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
activistfatgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty
My name is Misty..and I'm a floor sitter..meaning I'll sit in the floor or on the ground before I even consider sitting in a chair that looks shady.
Hi, My name is Tiffany, can I join ya on the ground? For those of us that can do it, its the sturdiest chair ever...the earth!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistfatgirl
Hi, My name is Tiffany, can I join ya on the ground? For those of us that can do it, its the sturdiest chair ever...the earth!
Pull up a piece of grass baby..LOL

I think I amaze a lot of people with my ability to get up and down..lol..I rock at it now.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Last year I was working at a family agency where I frequently got in on helping out with their after school programs. At their Halloween party for the kids, I plopped down in one of the metal folding chairs as I tended to do before. The chair's seat bent toward the floor at a near a fairly severe angle (think aluminum can), and somehow, by some miracle I was able to catch myself and stand up immediately. I bent the chair back into place, and put it in the closet.
By some other miracle, none of the 6 to 13 year old kids noticed! Can you imagine how that would have been, had even one child noticed? Or if I had fallen splat on the floor? Whew!
Apparently, it was not my day to be embarrassed. But, if you want to talk about crappy chairs-- how about those white plastic stackable ones that relatives bring out for outdoor parties, and when they run out at Thanksgiving? I will stand for three hours before I sit in one of those (uncomfortable + as sturdy as an empty cardboard box = I'll stand, thanks!

I also worry about my bedframe sometimes. I like that cinder block idea!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
SexxyBBW69

SexxyBBW69 does more than just post hot picsSexxyBBW69 does more than just post hot picsSexxyBBW69 does more than just post hot pics

at a bar sitting outside with the girls from work happy hour on a lawn resin chair I was too busy leaning back on the back legs & the chair broke & everyone sitting near us saw.
& I was maybe 20 lbs thinner
yeah that was embarassing
SexxyBBW69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #14
GoddessNoir
Milkmaid

GoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going onGoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going onGoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going onGoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going onGoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going onGoddessNoir knows EXACTLY what's going on

I've never broken anything but, it's a big fear of mine. Like someone else said, those white resin chairs, never, ever, ever in this lifetime will my tooshie meet one of those. Never. I won't sit on anything that looks bendable or too light. I'll do the pushing down with my hands test just to test how it might hold up. When my friends ask me to go out with them for dinner, drinks, etc. they all answer automatically, because they KNOW I'm going to ask, YES, it's fat girl friendly.

Just wanted to add, even though I'm new here, I already dig you guys just because you understand this kind of stuff.

Ecstasy is uncut forests and the smell of fresh baked bread. - Arvuyeda
GoddessNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:44 PM   #15
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessNoir
Just wanted to add, even though I'm new here, I already dig you guys just because you understand this kind of stuff.
Oh me too! I feel so grateful that I happened upon Dimensions that I think I say that every three posts or so. lol It might be a little excessive, but I'm okay with that. I'm just so happy to find people that "get it." I'm even more tickled that someone "gets it" about "getting it."

Just... a good place to be.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:15 PM   #16
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My computer chair is leaning...but I think it's missing bolts on the bottom...But hey....still I can sit in it lol
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #17
shy guy
Monkey Trumpets

shy guy is a member of the 500 clubshy guy is a member of the 500 clubshy guy is a member of the 500 clubshy guy is a member of the 500 clubshy guy is a member of the 500 clubshy guy is a member of the 500 club

Hey I broke a chair once...Hitting over some dudes back in a fight...later
shy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #18
candygodiva
Just like you imagined...

candygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging incandygodiva makes people happy simply by logging in

Public furniture demolition is the worst.
I was at an office once, and one of these really nice, antique looking chairs gave way under me. It really looked sturdy. But of course, looks can be decieving.
I don't even think I plopped on it. I was sitting there, signing some paperwork, and whoops! It just went. Ugh! Everyone around me was mortified, and I was sitting there with red cheeks, both top, and bottom ones I'm sure. I was helped to my feet with apologies, but ya know, at that point, I just wanted to get the hell out of there as fast as I could.
I'm very warey of chairs outside of the home now. It may be fun, if not dangerous, to break chairs at home. But in public, it's so embarrassing.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #19
wi-steve

wi-steve can now change their title
Default Broken chairs

Just so you girls know it's not just you.... i broke a wheel off my desk chair about a week ago. Damn thing is only two months old. And I weigh less than 170lbs!

I think they're building stuff pretty flimsy these days.

Steve
wi-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #20
Pink

Pink has super-sized repPink has super-sized repPink has super-sized repPink has super-sized rep

I just broke my office chair last week. It got fixed up this weekend with some cement glue.
I hate those metal lawn chairs with the plastic webbing.
I can't fit my butt in the seat and if I do it gets stuck at my hips when I stand. If I go to a bbq or something at a friends house I now bring my own sturdy wide armed lawn chair.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #21
GWARrior

GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!GWARrior has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I busted a chair last week, but surprisingly it wasnt because of my big ass Out on our balcony we have 2 plastic lawn chairs. I can never sit right in those thing, i have to have my legs up and all over the place, leaning back on the railing. The other night, we got drunk and went out for a cigarette (luckily we had a sober friend watching us, the railing is really rickety!) and I guess I got kinda rough, gettin comfortable. *snap* A piece from the bottom can flying out! The chair is still useable, but Ill probably end up breaking it, some drunken night!
GWARrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:35 AM   #22
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I broke the seat in my car about 10 years ago! We bought a Pontiac Trans Sport in the early 1990s during the mini-van era, because I had just passed the 400lb mark and needed something nice and roomy. One day about 6 years later I got into it and heard a snap and a crunch, and the driver's seat started to wobble, so Art checked it and sure enough there was a big crack in the base on one side. A friend of a friend welded it for $100, which fixed it up really nice, but that was our sign to buy something else. By then SUVs were on the market, so we sold our mini-van and bought a Honda CRV which I just love.

I've never broken my office chair, but I made sure to get a heavy duty model rated over 500lb.

Last edited by TallFatSue; 07-18-2006 at 04:38 AM.
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:47 AM   #23
Mikey

Mikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 club

An ex of mine who weighed in excess of 500 pounds used to break her home office chairs on a regular basis, and at work broke two toilets. She was mortified, but my take on it was that the products were of inferior quality. Good news is that Ethan Allan Furniture is making their already well built products sturdier to handle the ever growing American physique.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:52 AM   #24
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
An ex of mine who weighed in excess of 500 pounds used to break her home office chairs on a regular basis, and at work broke two toilets. She was mortified, but my take on it was that the products were of inferior quality. Good news is that Ethan Allan Furniture is making their already well built products sturdier to handle the ever growing American physique.
I suspect it's inferior quality in a lot of products myself, Mikey. When I weighed under 100, I think I broke a grand total of four toilet seats, two of them not in the house. The second time it happened at home, my mother accused me of standing on the seat. Cracked almost in the middle. I think women are just more sensitive to this type of event, regardless of weight. Whether you're in the mid 90s or weigh a little over 500, nothing makes you feel like a porker than snapping a seat.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:01 AM   #25
Mikey

Mikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 clubMikey is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadeianLinguist
I suspect it's inferior quality in a lot of products myself, Mikey. When I weighed under 100, I think I broke a grand total of four toilet seats, two of them not in the house. The second time it happened at home, my mother accused me of standing on the seat. Cracked almost in the middle. I think women are just more sensitive to this type of event, regardless of weight. Whether you're in the mid 90s or weigh a little over 500, nothing makes you feel like a porker than snapping a seat.
You say porker as if it were a bad thing

In all seriousness, who out there hasn't broken a toilet seat in their lifetime. It is indeed poor quality as are those cheapo white resin chairs and most metal chairs. The designers are not engineers and don't understand how stress works on a product. The are just going for form, not quality.
As for the toilets, how can heavy porcelain shatter even if someone is over 500 pounds. Again, inferior craftsmenship.

**Here is a tip on the bed frame dilemma. I have a king size bed and the metal frame kept falling apart when the box springs were side to side from the head to foot of the bed. We rectified that situation by placing the box springs (there are two in most king beds) parallel to the head or foot of the bed. that way the middle of the bed gets some support.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote