Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 06-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
biggirlluvher

biggirlluvher can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbiggirlluvher can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesbiggirlluvher can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Creaking Floorboards

I might have been in denial about it for the last few weeks but it's starting to creep, or should I say creak, up on me.

I'm in an old apartment with wooden floorboards. I've noticed some of them in the hallway are looser and noisier than others when I walk along them. I'm at my heaviest now, 250lbs, and wonder if that has had an effect on them.

I remember I was at a friend's house for the Superbowl and I walked down the hallway leading to the kitchen for the first time since I had arrived there. He and his gf were in there and she asked if it was me approaching. That moment marked me because I happened to have been maybe the 2nd heaviest guy there. The other guy was shorter than me but might have been heavier. I wasn't aware I was walking particularly heavy but I figure there must have been something. Or maybe it was some deductive reasoning on her part, with the tangible proof of my footsteps, that it would be me.

Has anyone noticed or been made to notice any differences in their flooring over time or with their possible gaining?
biggirlluvher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have owned houses over 150 years old and most all had creaky floors no matter what weight I was.
I love creaky floors personally its like a warm hello and welcome home.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Our house is only 90+years old, and most of it doesn't creak at all. However some previous owner had put in a new sub-floor in the upstairs, and the hallway up there has gradually been creaking more and more. Our weight hasn't really changed all that much, I think it is just wasn't built strong enough for regular traffic of people our size (not that we are so huge, but pretty big compared to what was typical back when someone did the work, probably in the 1970s)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My flat has a concrete floor and I can confirm that it doesn't creak at all, thank god.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
AmyJo1976
Corpulently Content

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

The house I live in is pretty old and has been renovated. The hardwood floors are still original and creek a lot though. I can't say there has been a difference in the creaking with weight gain or loss and I've fluctuated quite a bit since living here. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. I can say that my chair at work groans considerably every time I sit on it and is in terrible need of replacement though
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
plushkitty

plushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot picsplushkitty does more than just post hot pics

Every now and then, but I think it says more about the construction and quality of the floor than it does about my weight. The creaky spots creak under just about everyone who walks there.

My bed frame has started to groan when I roll over or move around, though. I hope it doesn't break, a reinforced queen size bed frame isn't cheap!
plushkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
lawriesv

lawriesv has said some nice things

Wood floor assemblies (including finished flooring, subflooring, and joists under them) tend to dry out with time more than when they were first installed, and shrink (in the cross-grain directions) when drier. This allows movement between the components. Higher dynamic forces (e.g., due to more weight, moving) would cause additional movement of some of the now-looser components (i.e., creaking).

Some better renovations add additional screws to tighten the joints between the components, reducing the creaking.
lawriesv is offline   Reply With Quote