1980s Movie Remakes

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Rojodi

Now that 'Red Dawn' is coming out soon, and following 'Footloose', 'Clash of the Titans', and 'The Karate Kid', when will we get 'Cannonball Run'?

Adam Sandler remade one Burt Reynolds classic, "The Longest Yard", and did a good job. He needs to do it, bring along Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade and Rob Schneider. Burt Reynolds and Jackie Chan MUST be in it!!!

hal84

I'm not sure I want Red dawn to be re-made but I guess re-makes will take the issue of being orginal out of the equation. Personally if they do it right I really want to see a re-make of ROBOCOP.

With more and more people thinking that coorporations are running America isn't it time to bring back the evil CEO and who better than the evil Dick Jones of OCP.

Blackhawk2293

Still tired of life
I'm not a fan of remakes. Especially movie remakes, usually they end up being overhyped money generating turkeys!

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
Although "Dawn of the Dead" originally came out in 1978 (I was originally thinking it was an 80's film, I had to google it to find out otherwise), I think the 2004 remake was actually better than the original.

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
I thought the "DAWN OF THE DEAD remake was wretched but that's my opinion...if others enjoyed it, great! I just didn't care for it. "Fast" zombies?

As for remakes of movies? The movie studios have been doing this since the silent movie era. If a movie has a good story and entertains me, I could care less if it had been made before. I just want to enjoy myself for 90 minutes to two hours or so.

Unfortunately, this rarely happens for me with remakes of 1970s, 80s movies. Yeah, I liked Sandler's remake of THE LONGEST YARD but a remake of CANNONBALL RUN in the 21st century chills me.

I didn't think RED DAWN was that great in the 1980s and I'll pass on this remake.

At the moment, I can't think of any other recent remakes I enjoyed but I can list many I thought were lousy.

Oh yeah, I recently saw the old Marilyn Monroe movie, SOME LIKE IT HOT and shuddered as I tried to imagine this great comedy remade for today.

Dennis

Dromond

Old school
https://www.facebook.com/john.m.pedigo, M
Red Dawn sucked, to be honest. The remake will be even worse, because a modern day Red Dawn makes even less sense than the original did. The original played on Cold War tropes, and there is no Cold War anymore.

Cannonball Run was funny, sorta, but only because of the actors. The "story" was monumentally stupid.

SuperMishe

Single. Wanna mingle?
Remakes are usually so disappointing.

But can you see some of these redone for this generation?

Breakfast Club - the bad kid (or the good girl?!) pulls out a gun in the library and takes everyone hostage.

Pretty Woman - she robs him blind and takes off

Officer and a Gentleman - his friend faked his death to get out of the service and convinces Gere that just because he's "got nowhere to go", doesn't mean they shouldn't have fun so they ditch the women and go to Vegas.

lol

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
Especially tv shows. Don't need any more.
I personally would like to see someone re-make Greatest American Hero, only without William Katt or anything remotely resembling a blonde fro. And bring in Zombie Joey Scarbury because we need a new theme song.