2009-2010 NHL Thread. Any Hockey fans??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Any hockey fans out there? What are your predictions for this season?? I think it's going to be wide open, but Boston and Calgary are my choices in the East and West...so far...

I expect Ovechkin to dominate the scoring this year again, and I don't think the Pens will repeat. Just a gut feeling.

(I'm a hardcore Ottawa Senators fan. I've lived through the bad times, the playoff failures, and the good times ('97, '03, and of course '07). It's never good to lose a 50-goal scorer, but I think Heatley HAD to go, and the Sens should do way better this year than they have in the last year or two...:))

bbwjessiestroxxx

Hey,

Im Jessie 31 in FL

I LOVE hocky but my absolute faves are the Philly Flyers and the
Dallas Stars.

Ive loved hockey all my life and find it to be a brutal tell tale sign of
how the world loves violence.

Thanx :kiss2:

luvembig

DIE hard Devils fan here......

Not looking as good as we were last year. Lost some key players from last year (Gionta and Madden will really hurt IMO) and Marty is a year older and teams are better (and it doesn't help the defending Stanley Cup champs are in your division either).

But like always this team will be a contender and (hopefully) the goaltending will be solid as always. And hopefully Zajac and Parise can continue their on-ice success. I love watching Zach play and he's totally underrated

BBWModel

1 kewl chik
Colorado Avalanche here...actually got to go to a game for my birthday. The Avs were here to play the Blue Jackets. They lost, but still a great birthday!

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Hey,

Im Jessie 31 in FL

I LOVE hocky but my absolute faves are the Philly Flyers and the
Dallas Stars.

Ive loved hockey all my life and find it to be a brutal tell tale sign of
how the world loves violence.

Thanx :kiss2:

DIE hard Devils fan here......

Not looking as good as we were last year. Lost some key players from last year (Gionta and Madden will really hurt IMO) and Marty is a year older and teams are better (and it doesn't help the defending Stanley Cup champs are in your division either).

But like always this team will be a contender and (hopefully) the goaltending will be solid as always. And hopefully Zajac and Parise can continue their on-ice success. I love watching Zach play and he's totally underrated

Colorado Avalanche here...actually got to go to a game for my birthday. The Avs were here to play the Blue Jackets. They lost, but still a great birthday!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thrilled that no Maple Leafs fans have shown up here yet! :)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Winnipeg Jets fan by first instinct, but right about the time they moved away I moved back to Ottawa and the Sens were a young team, so I cheer for the Sens these days (well, mostly I cheer for good, exciting, fast paced hockey).

I agree with what Matt said about Heatley. I think the big questions for the Sens are if the new goalie will stay healthy and give some stability in net, and if the younger members of the D are really ready for prime time. Ottawa now is rolling two pretty strong looking first lines on forward and decent third/fourth lines even, so I'm not as worried about the forwards.

I'm looking forward to an exciting season!

mpls_girl26

Go Wild!!!! It should be an interesting season. Don't think we will be in the playoffs but with a new coach, new GM, and LOTS of new players it proves to be an exciting year!

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
Sturmface.gif

lucic022809.JPG

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
Any hockey fans out there? What are your predictions for this season?? I think it's going to be wide open, but Boston and Calgary are my choices in the East and West...so far...

I expect Ovechkin to dominate the scoring this year again, and I don't think the Pens will repeat. Just a gut feeling.

(I'm a hardcore Ottawa Senators fan. I've lived through the bad times, the playoff failures, and the good times ('97, '03, and of course '07). It's never good to lose a 50-goal scorer, but I think Heatley HAD to go, and the Sens should do way better this year than they have in the last year or two...:))

Speaking from my Joe Thornton experience; it's going to hurt to watch Heatley light it up with the Sharks while you get the definition of diminishing returns (Cheechoo) wasting cap and roster space. You'll hear it all season, Heatley's a Hart candidate, the Senators were morons to let him go, San Jose's such a great environment for him because Ottawa's a pressure cooker and the Sharks are going to be every idiot's (Pierre McGuire) Cup pick, hell they'll probably win another President's Trophy. But come May you'll have the tremendous satisfaction of watching him continue to be an underachieving choke artist ON ANOTHER TEAM!! :D

JMCGB

Nice to not have to start an NHL thread this year. Wings fan here, also root for the Caps. Looking forward to a great year for both.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I agree with what Matt said about Heatley. I think the big questions for the Sens are if the new goalie will stay healthy and give some stability in net, and if the younger members of the D are really ready for prime time. Ottawa now is rolling two pretty strong looking first lines on forward and decent third/fourth lines even, so I'm not as worried about the forwards.

I'm looking forward to an exciting season!

It will be nice to have line options instead of Heatley/Alfie/Spezza, and then the rest...:D Praying that Leclaire can bounce back!!

Speaking from my Joe Thornton experience; it's going to hurt to watch Heatley light it up with the Sharks while you get the definition of diminishing returns (Cheechoo) wasting cap and roster space. You'll hear it all season, Heatley's a Hart candidate, the Senators were morons to let him go, San Jose's such a great environment for him because Ottawa's a pressure cooker and the Sharks are going to be every idiot's (Pierre McGuire) Cup pick, hell they'll probably win another President's Trophy. But come May you'll have the tremendous satisfaction of watching him continue to be an underachieving choke artist ON ANOTHER TEAM!! :D

I suspect you'll be right...

It should be a great season for the Bruins, with or without Kessel. (With the Heatley trade out of the way, Kessel is the latest "please let it end" story around here. It always happens when the Leafs are interested in someone...)

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Nice to not have to start an NHL thread this year. Wings fan here, also root for the Caps. Looking forward to a great year for both.

I envy you, that you can root for more than one team at a time. It probably makes the season more enjoyable...:D

Myself, I have a pathological hatred for EVERY other NHL team. It's Ottawa Senators or nothing for me. In fact, I even have a tier system for my hate starting with my most hated and progressing from there. Thusly...

Tier One (Most Foulest Blood-Boiling Hate): Toronto Maple Leafs, of course. :mad:
Tier Two (Extreme Hate, but just a step below above) : All other Canadian teams. I don't buy into the philosophy that whatever team is still left in the playoffs is "Canada's Team". Blechh! What do I care if Calgary wins another Cup??
Tier Three (Massive Hate) : Other non-Canadian teams within the same division. Sorry Boston and Buffalo, but you should NEVER cheer for someone else in your division...
Tier Four (Seething Hate) : Non-Canadian or divisional teams that have beaten my team in the playoffs at some point...Jersey, Pittsburgh, and freakin' Anaheim...
Tier Five (Non-specific hate, but hate just the same...) : The rest. Just because...

Having said all that, I really hope that Winnipeg and Hamilton get teams since it would be WAY more fun to hate them as opposed to Phoenix, or Tampa, or Nashville...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Matt--that is hilarious!

I'm kind of the opposite....well, except that I can't cheer for Toronto anymore than I could cheer for Microsoft (they both make boat loads of money by selling a mediocre product into a semi-captive market). Otherwise I prefer Canadian to American, and if you beat us I hope that means that you are actually awesome and beat everyone else too :)

NoWayOut

GO SENS GO!

I don't really have any hatred for the Western Canada teams, I just don't care how they do. Obviously, I hate the Leafs most, followed by the Sabres and then the Habs. My hatred for the Sabres is a big reason why I don't want Hamilton to get a team. I think it'll be the end of Buffalo, and it just won't be the same without the rivalry there.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Of course it does not apply to the national teams. The Olympics, World Championships and World Juniors are an exception. (I am largely indifferent towards the Spengler Cup.) It's the only time you'll ever find me cheering for a Pronger or a (as of now) Heatley.

I'd like to think that we are the Olympic favourites on home ice in Vancouver, but the Russians are looking pretty scary too. Canadian national teams always seem to have a good healthy mix of desire to win and fear of losing, especially at home, but I think we have the talent to atone for the last Olympics...

Not a big fan of the new national team uni, but it would look great with a Gold medal...:bow:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Not a big fan of the new national team uni, but it would look great with a Gold medal...:bow:

What doesn't?

How long is the NHL breaking for the Olympics this year? Will the countries in the qualifying tournament actually be able to use their NHL players this time?

I wonder how many loonies have been put into the olympic ice pad in Vancouver? :p

On an unrelated note: ever noticed how most hockey players wives/girlfriends all seem to have a similar look? Have you ever seen an NHL player with a BBW significant other?

NoWayOut

What doesn't?

How long is the NHL breaking for the Olympics this year? Will the countries in the qualifying tournament actually be able to use their NHL players this time?

I wonder how many loonies have been put into the olympic ice pad in Vancouver? :p

On an unrelated note: ever noticed how most hockey players wives/girlfriends all seem to have a similar look? Have you ever seen an NHL player with a BBW significant other?

All 12 nations are in the qualifying tournament. Group A is Canada, the U.S., Switzerland and Norway. Group B is Russia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Latvia and Group C is Sweden, Finland, Belarus and Germany.

All 12 nations will advance to the knockout stage. The four best teams (likely the three group winners and best runner-up) will get a bye to the quarterfinals. The preliminary matches will be 5 vs. 12, 8 vs. 9, 6 vs. 11 and 7 vs. 10.

I'd imagine very little money was spent on the hockey arena. General Motors Place, home of the Canucks, will host all but two men's hockey games.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod

Yes, I have noticed that. I dealt with many of the players and their families over the years at my old company, and not once did I ever see one married to a BBW. (I'm fairly certain I would've remembered something like that. :D ) There must be a few FA's in the league, odds are...

As an outsider looking in, and as someone who has had a couple of friends make the NHL, the culture seems very clique-ish. They have their own universe that they live in (their own 'bubble', maybe) and when one does something they all tend to follow suit. The peer pressure that most of us kicked to the curb in school, or sooner, seems to continue for the guys. That might explain how they all end up with the same types of wives/girlfriends.

But honestly, average joes like us will never really know what it's like to live that life. When I screw up at work, it's not a headline in the Sun. (At least, not yet...)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
True that!

Also, in places like Ottawa at least, it isn't like they can easily meet just anyone....everywhere they go, it is a public thing. So they are going to mostly meet women who are trying to meet them, I'd guess? (as opposed to randomly getting to know someone). So who they meet is probably not a random cross section.

And you have to figure that there are at least a few gay hockey players (football players, baseball, basketball, soccer....). But that never gets discussed either.

Latest posts