2009-2010 NHL Thread. Any Hockey fans??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Bearsy

Genuinely Disingenuous
That was an absolutely amazing game of hockey, I think we got gypped on some bullshit calls though.

KHayes666

Go away
That was an absolutely amazing game of hockey, I think we got gypped on some bullshit calls though.

Yes, Patrice Bergeron gets called for a phantom penalty 2 minutes into the first overtime yet the Sabres got screwed......*shrugs* oh well.

3 down, 1 to go

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Matt Carkner, of all people, scores in the 3rd OT to save the Sens for another game! Matt Freakin' Carkner!

Devils get sent packing early by the Flyers too. I wasn't sold on the Devils this year, and I was hoping that Ottawa got them in the first round instead of the Pens, but I thought they could handle Philly. Guess not...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
What Matt said ^^^^^.

Also, a lot of tired people at work this morning!

My predicion on Jersey-Philly was that the series would not go long, I thought the odds were better for Jersey to get it together and win, but that if Brodeur didn't find some of his old form they'd fold quickly and quietly, which is how it turned out. I wonder if Brodeur will retire after this?

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Well, so much for that. I don't know if it was a good season for the Sens, but they kept it interesting. The future is looking bright, so it doesn't sting as much as past seasons.

That's it for hockey for me until training camp. All that's left is waiting on the Habs and Canucks to go belly up, and I usually check out some of the Finals. Here's hoping the Caps finish off Montreal, and the Kings come back against Vancouver...Oh, and screw Pittsburgh too! :)

JMCGB

Well, so much for that. I don't know if it was a good season for the Sens, but they kept it interesting. The future is looking bright, so it doesn't sting as much as past seasons.

That's it for hockey for me until training camp. All that's left is waiting on the Habs and Canucks to go belly up, and I usually check out some of the Finals. Here's hoping the Caps finish off Montreal, and the Kings come back against Vancouver...Oh, and screw Pittsburgh too! :)

I know it may not help much, but the Sens have nothing to be ashamed of. They put it to Pittsburgh and in all honesty should have been playing a game 7.

Caps should knock out the Habs Monday night and I don't think L.A. is going to knock off the Canucks so Canada can rejoice that at least one team moves on to the second round.

I will second your screw Pittsburgh sentiments. They will get theirs this year though. :D

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I know it may not help much, but the Sens have nothing to be ashamed of. They put it to Pittsburgh and in all honesty should have been playing a game 7.

Caps should knock out the Habs Monday night and I don't think L.A. is going to knock off the Canucks so Canada can rejoice that at least one team moves on to the second round.

I will second your screw Pittsburgh sentiments. They will get theirs this year though. :D

I think the Sens did great, especially without Michalek, Kovalev and Kuba. It's just too bad that they didn't finish the Pens off last night when they had the chance. Anything goes in a Game 7. I think one of the bright spots is Karlsson. He made a lot of mistakes, but he did a lot of really good things too. He only turns 20 this month.

Big win for Phoenix today, Game 7 at home for them against Detroit. I think they can pull it off. The franchise doesn't exactly have a checkered playoff history, Phoenix or Winnipeg...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Well, the Canucks made sure that there will be at least some Canadian presence in the second round.

As for the Sens, for a team that was widely predicted to miss the play-offs again, they did OK. Good to see Karlson coming on so well, and Regin was a delight in the play-offs too. They seem to have two up-and-down goaltenders, so between them they can probably find decent back-stopping about three-quarters of the time.

I assume they'll buy out Cheechoo in the off-season. Volchenkov is a free agent July 1st, and did not bite on the offer Ottawa made to him during the season, so I'm afraid that he may be planning on testing the free-agency market, which would be a big loss for Ottawa--the goaltending may look a lot worse without him blocking ten shots a game (that might be a slight exageration, but he does block a ton of shots). Both near-trade-deadline pick-ups are also free agents. Cullen looked great in the play-offs, so would be nice to get re-inked, but with a couple of young forwards to fit into the rotation I don't know if that will happen or not. Or maybe more to the point, to bring him back they probably have to move someone else.

I do think Ottawa had a chance to win, but I also thought that Pittsburgh was overall the better team, they were just less consistent with their effort. In the end I'd say that the better team won, and I wish them well going forward (if my team has to lose, I'd rather that they lost to the eventual champions!)

Bearsy

Genuinely Disingenuous
FOUR MINUTES FOR HIGH STICKING ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!

Boston refs are fucking paid off or something.
An accidental high sticking deserves 4 minutes but boarding and roughing are overlooked entirely?
BULL.

Bearsy

Genuinely Disingenuous
It was a great series though, couldn't really ask for much more from the players, but the fucking front office doesn't seem to want to win.

I'm getting sick of being a Buffalo sports fan because both Golisano and Ralph Wilson are content with being gazillionaires and they're more than happy to drain hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from one of the poorest cities in the nation without even caring to make a winning team.

We are some of the greatest fans in the sports and we get shit on by the management time and time and time again.

KHayes666

Go away
It was a great series though, couldn't really ask for much more from the players, but the fucking front office doesn't seem to want to win.

I'm getting sick of being a Buffalo sports fan because both Golisano and Ralph Wilson are content with being gazillionaires and they're more than happy to drain hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from one of the poorest cities in the nation without even caring to make a winning team.

We are some of the greatest fans in the sports and we get shit on by the management time and time and time again.

The Bruins front office is no different than yours. Haven't seen a Stanley Cup final in 20 years, haven't won one in 38.

Bad management kills every franchise, but sometimes you get lucky. This year the Bruins got extremely lucky (Vanek being hurt most of the series) and are now on their way to Pittsburgh for the second round where they will no doubt be beaten senseless.

The Sabres need to add some top of the line goal scorers because Ryan Miller is the real deal. However if you say the owner is just as bad as Jeremy Jacobs, good luck finding them.

GTAFA

The top three seeds in the East are out (Washington, Jersey & Buffalo), so that suddenly Pittsburgh is the top remaining seed in the East.

East semifinals:
  • Pittsburgh vs Montreal (Friday)
    Can the Penguins avoid the Capitals' fate? Chances are they'll do better (Capitals looked very tense tonight and made it easy for Montreal), but at times vs Ottawa the Penguins have looked vulnerable. Habs goalie Jaroslav Halak looked amazing, and right now is a front-runner for the Conn Smythe: that is unless the pucks start going past him.
  • Philadelphia vs Boston (Saturday)
    Upset winner vs upset winner, both a little surprised to be there, two teams doing it with tight defense. True to the teams' history & mythology, expect a bruising series. The ease of their accomplishment would normally make the Flyers favourites but I can't tell if the Flyers are for real (because Brodeur simply looked tired).
West semifinals, much truer to form:
  • Detroit vs San Jose (Thursday)
    Detroit and Phoenix were the two hottest teams since the Olympics. Detroit looked amazing in the last period against Phoenix, making the other brilliant team suddenly look ordinary. San Jose--who were inconsistent in their series-- are about to run into a nasty combination: the Wings are hungry, experienced, and in the best groove I have seen in a long time. I expect San Jose to be sidelined once again.
  • Chicago vs Vancouver (Saturday)
    Is anyone in Canada talking about an all-canadian final yet? it could happen. Yeah, and pigs could fly. If it's going to happen Vancouver have to play much better this year than they did last year. Both of these teams have had good games and bad games.
Happiness = great hockey on TV every night. Ah yes it's a great time of year.

KHayes666

Go away
The top three seeds in the East are out (Washington, Jersey & Buffalo), so that suddenly Pittsburgh is the top remaining seed in the East.

East semifinals:
  • Pittsburgh vs Montreal (Friday)
    Can the Penguins avoid the Capitals' fate? Chances are they'll do better (Capitals looked very tense tonight and made it easy for Montreal), but at times vs Ottawa the Penguins have looked vulnerable. Habs goalie Jaroslav Halak looked amazing, and right now is a front-runner for the Conn Smythe: that is unless the pucks start going past him.
  • Philadelphia vs Boston (Saturday)
    Upset winner vs upset winner, both a little surprised to be there, two teams doing it with tight defense. True to the teams' history & mythology, expect a bruising series. The ease of their accomplishment would normally make the Flyers favourites but I can't tell if the Flyers are for real (because Brodeur simply looked tired).
West semifinals, much truer to form:
  • Detroit vs San Jose (Thursday)
    Detroit and Phoenix were the two hottest teams since the Olympics. Detroit looked amazing in the last period against Phoenix, making the other brilliant team suddenly look ordinary. San Jose--who were inconsistent in their series-- are about to run into a nasty combination: the Wings are hungry, experienced, and in the best groove I have seen in a long time. I expect San Jose to be sidelined once again.
  • Chicago vs Vancouver (Saturday)
    Is anyone in Canada talking about an all-canadian final yet? it could happen. Yeah, and pigs could fly. If it's going to happen Vancouver have to play much better this year than they did last year. Both of these teams have had good games and bad games.
Happiness = great hockey on TV every night. Ah yes it's a great time of year.

If the Bruins could beat Ryan Miller who's been one of the top goaltenders this year, what do you think they're going to do to Brian Bouchard?

I say Bruins in 6

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
If the Bruins could beat Ryan Miller who's been one of the top goaltenders this year, what do you think they're going to do to Brian Bouchard?

I say Bruins in 6

I look at it this way: The Phillies will, amongst other things, try to play a physical game around the Boston net.

Boston will play Chara.

Advantage: Boston!

In the Montreal - Pittsburgh series, the Pens shook some rust off against Ottawa....not up to last year's cup final form, but I think they'll be playing tighter than Washington did. Then again, Halak stopped something like 98% of the shots coming his way in the last few games. If he can keep that up for much longer, it probably trumps ever other factor.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
The Pens/Habs series for me presents an interesting question..."Who do I hate more and want to see lose?"

The answer is Montreal, because 1. Division Rival 2. Insufferable fans, I'm already hearing Halak '10/Roy '86 comparisons and 3. "Canadian team not based in Ottawa"...the trifecta of hockey hatred...Therefore- "Go Pens*" (with the asterix)

I do have to say I'm a little more peeved at the Sens today given the implications of them losing to Pittsburgh...All the top 4 seeds would've been out leaving the Sens with home ice for the duration of at least the Eastern Conference playoffs, and FINALLY they would've played the Habs in the playoffs. That would've been absolutely nuts!

Anyone here not familiar with the local geography, Montreal is our closest rival. Less than a 2 hour drive away, and they've never met in the playoffs. That's why our rivalries with Buffalo and Toronto are so intense...

balletguy

I am just pretty pissed about the Caps. What the hell just happened? Oh well since they are out I hope some random team on the west coast wins it all.

KHayes666

Go away
I am just pretty pissed about the Caps. What the hell just happened? Oh well since they are out I hope some random team on the west coast wins it all.

What happened was Halak became the second coming of Ken Dryden, don't expect the Penguins to have an easy series at all.

JMCGB

The NHL should be absolutely embarrassed about that game in San Jose last night. Yeah I am a Wings fan and somewhat biased, but that may have been the WORST officiating I have ever seen. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Latest posts