2009-2010 NHL Thread. Any Hockey fans??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

GTAFA

The NHL should be absolutely embarrassed about that game in San Jose last night. Yeah I am a Wings fan and somewhat biased, but that may have been the WORST officiating I have ever seen. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The NHL refs seem to regularly lose their objectivity in noisy rinks. I think it undermines the credibility of the sport. In the NFL they call the penalties on both teams.

BTW I have no bias and agree with you about the refereeing in that game. NOT the worst I ever saw. That would be the 2007 final.

KHayes666

Go away
If you told me with 2 weeks left in the season that the Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins would be playing against each other for the right to go to the Stanley Cup final I'd have thought you were nuts.

Now its getting dangerously close to that actually happening, the Canadiens are 3 wins away and the B's are 2.

So far the B's are going toe to toe with the fiery Flyers and have ended up 1 goal better. This series is so evenly matched except in defense, which usually determines who's one goal better. The Flyers are without 3 top players but the Bruins just lost top scorer Marco Sturm for not only this year but next as well. The Flyers are going to have to outslug Boston in order to win the series, so far it isn't working but with the teams evenly matched ANYTHING can happen.

Meanwhile the Canadiens just lost top defensemen Andrei Markov for the year. Their only chance of winning is stopping Malkin, Crosby and the gang from putting the puck in the net....and losing Markov certainly won't help that. Still, we as fans have seen goalies single handedly carry teams almost all the way (Giguierre in 03) and Halak is doing his best to do it.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
This is what parity in the league will bring. Get in the playoffs, hope your goalie gets hot, and let the chips fall where they may.

As good as the Sharks have looked in the West, and the Pens are still the defending champs, it's wide open from here. As much as I'm soured on the fact that my team is out, the possibility of a Chicago/Boston final is definitely in the back of my mind. Epic...

KHayes666

Go away
This is what parity in the league will bring. Get in the playoffs, hope your goalie gets hot, and let the chips fall where they may.

As good as the Sharks have looked in the West, and the Pens are still the defending champs, it's wide open from here. As much as I'm soured on the fact that my team is out, the possibility of a Chicago/Boston final is definitely in the back of my mind. Epic...

You're right, parity is strange in the NHL.

I honestly don't think Boston is good enough to get past Pittsburgh and I don't see Chicago beating San Jose....who's in the process of knocking out the 2 time conference winner Red Wings.

However if pieces fall into places, there very well could be Boston vs Chicago final....anything can happen

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
You're right, parity is strange in the NHL.

I honestly don't think Boston is good enough to get past Pittsburgh and I don't see Chicago beating San Jose....who's in the process of knocking out the 2 time conference winner Red Wings.

However if pieces fall into places, there very well could be Boston vs Chicago final....anything can happen

I should've added injuries will be a factor, they're already starting to pile up. Markov by all accounts is done in Montreal, and who knows how many guys are playing hurt right now...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I should've added injuries will be a factor, they're already starting to pile up. Markov by all accounts is done in Montreal, and who knows how many guys are playing hurt right now...

This is how teams from the east tend to have a chance in the cup final, the last several years--the western team is usually all around stronger, but has had more grueling travel and games, so is more injured, beat up, and worn down. But this year the eastern teams seem to be taking their share of knocks, so I'm thinking whoever comes out of the west may be pretty heavily favored.

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
In the meantime, how the mighty fall.... In the 2010 Ice Hockey World Championships, Team USA lost all of its three games (Finland, Germany and Denmark) and is now in the relegation round. And Olympic champion Canada was just pounded 4:1 by Switzerland. Sure, the NHL playoffs are still going on, but that affects just about any other nation as well as they all have players in the NHL.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
In the meantime, how the mighty fall.... In the 2010 Ice Hockey World Championships, Team USA lost all of its three games (Finland, Germany and Denmark) and is now in the relegation round. And Olympic champion Canada was just pounded 4:1 by Switzerland. Sure, the NHL playoffs are still going on, but that affects just about any other nation as well as they all have players in the NHL.

Duly noted...Meh!!! First time Switzerland beat Canada at the World's ever.

Pittsburgh not off to a good start against Montreal tonight...:mad: Good to see the Canucks out, but it would be better if the Habs followed them.

KHayes666

Go away
If the Bruins avoid an epic collapse, they very well might play Montreal in the conference final....now againstTHEM I have confidence. I think Pittsburgh has too many offensive weapons for the B's to stop, and without Sturm or Krejci they'll have trouble scoring themselves.

On the other side its Chicago vs San Jose just as I predicted. Either Jumbo Joe finally becomes a hero or the Blackhawks end an epic drought and advance to the finals.

JMCGB

Ah relegation, but it's not as bad as every one makes out. Just means we have to play one extra tournament against some weak competition. We are missing a lot of our talent due to the playoffs but it still shouldn't have happened.

GTAFA

It was a fun night in the bars of Canada last night, as at least some sad Leaf fans found joy vicariously in the nationalist thrill of Montreal's victory. And to add perverse insult to injury, it was also fun cheering Philadelphia on, in anticipation of the next round, wondering who will emerge from that series (Bruins or Phlyers) possibly punch-drunk & exhausted. It's more than a little bit amazing that the lowest seed, a team that backed into the playoffs on the last night of the season, are still alive when so many "better" teams are on the sidelines.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
It's more than a little bit amazing that the lowest seed, a team that backed into the playoffs on the last night of the season, are still alive when so many "better" teams are on the sidelines.

Wasn't Philly the 2nd lowest seed? So if they win tomorrow, the conference finals will be between the 7th and 8th seeds! There is parity for ya :p

KHayes666

Go away
Wasn't Philly the 2nd lowest seed? So if they win tomorrow, the conference finals will be between the 7th and 8th seeds! There is parity for ya :p

The Canadiens are a much better team than the Flyers, they don't surprise me.

Even after losing Krejci and Sturm you'd think the Bruins would at least win ONE game out of Four....talk about an epic collapse.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
The Canadiens are a much better team than the Flyers, they don't surprise me.

Even after losing Krejci and Sturm you'd think the Bruins would at least win ONE game out of Four....talk about an epic collapse.

If Boston wins tomorrow, it will just be an interesting footnote that Philly forced 7. There is NO way they want to be the 3rd team in hockey history to blow a 3-0 series lead. If they don't come out guns-a-blazin' in the first 10 minutes they'll be toast...

KHayes666

Go away
If Boston wins tomorrow, it will just be an interesting footnote that Philly forced 7. There is NO way they want to be the 3rd team in hockey history to blow a 3-0 series lead. If they don't come out guns-a-blazin' in the first 10 minutes they'll be toast...

They can't come out guns-a-blazin because they don't HAVE any guns. Michael Ryder has been USELESS the whole series and without Krecji the offense has totally collapsed.

You see the breakaway by Whitfield...I can name 35 Bruins from the past off the top of my head that would have scored on that.

I hate to say it but I'm going with Philly in Game 7...their new goalie is hot and the B's can't score.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
My boss is a loooonnnnnggggg time Bruins fan (like from back in the seventies) and he's been saying the same about them.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
They can't come out guns-a-blazin because they don't HAVE any guns. Michael Ryder has been USELESS the whole series and without Krecji the offense has totally collapsed.

You see the breakaway by Whitfield...I can name 35 Bruins from the past off the top of my head that would have scored on that.

I hate to say it but I'm going with Philly in Game 7...their new goalie is hot and the B's can't score.

They have to try something, Leighton is not the second coming of Bernie Parent that the Flyers saved for just this sort of situation. Shoot, shoot often, and keep shooting! I know they outshot them last game, but they have to keep up the pressure.

My boss is a loooonnnnnggggg time Bruins fan (like from back in the seventies) and he's been saying the same about them.

Like I said before, the first 10 minutes will decide the B's fate. If they don't score right away, they had better randomly beat up one of the Flyers to get some energy going. They need Esposito AND O'Reilly in the lineup! :D

Latest posts