2009-2010 NHL Thread. Any Hockey fans??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I'm really breaking my habit of not watching much hockey after my team gets beaten out, but damn have these playoffs ever been messed up!

I'm totally in for watching the game tonight. Game 7, Philly/Boston, with a chance at history on the line? Uhhh, yeah. It will be watched...

I still want that Chicago/Boston final!

balletguy

I know nothing of hockey but I think Philly is going to win...Boston is down and Philly is hot.

GTAFA

I know nothing of hockey but I think Philly is going to win...Boston is down and Philly is hot.
It's been a wild series. It's the second intermission (in other words after 40 minutes). First period, Boston took a 3-0 lead. The commentator pointed out that Philly was down in the SERIES 3 games to zero.

So now after two periods, tied 3 - 3, just the same as the series is tied 3 games to 3. Wow. It's almost too perfect.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
It's been a wild series. It's the second intermission (in other words after 40 minutes). First period, Boston took a 3-0 lead. The commentator pointed out that Philly was down in the SERIES 3 games to zero.

So now after two periods, tied 3 - 3, just the same as the series is tied 3 games to 3. Wow. It's almost too perfect.

And there's your perfect, improbable end, 4-3 Philly. Oh Boston, you're a division rival so I technically should be happy, but I really would only wish this fate on the Leafs.

Montreal and Philly in the East Final. What the hell?

Reactions: Tad

GTAFA

And there's your perfect, improbable end, 4-3 Philly. Oh Boston, you're a division rival so I technically should be happy, but I really would only wish this fate on the Leafs.

Montreal and Philly in the East Final. What the hell?

Somewhere Kate Smith is smiling. :)

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
So the final four is set, the west is no big surprise but the east is...stupid? At the very least, whoever wins the Cup this year is going to have one hell of a story...

Montreal- Last won in 1993, but you knew that didn't you? They haven't stopped talking about it since then. If they pull it off you'll have to tip your hat to them, but the last thing this franchise needs is more mystique...or the city more riot damage...

Philadelphia- Last won in 1975. Should've won at least three other times since then by my estimation. (1980, 1987- oh so close, and 1997) They have the big(gest) comeback this year, but is anyone going to pick them outside of Philadelphia?

San Jose- Never won, and I hate Heatley, next...

Chicago- Last won in 1961, also had a few years where they should've put it together. ('71, '73, possibly '92 but the Penguins had Mario...) These fans have suffered enough, and by that I'm talking about Kane's mullet...

I honestly have no gut feeling on who's going to take this thing. The smart money is on the Western champ, but I would not call anything a slamdunk at this point.

Hoping for a Chicago/Philadelphia final, with the 'Hawks taking it because I also hate Pronger...;)

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
Duly noted...Meh!!! First time Switzerland beat Canada at the World's ever....

And now Switzerland beat the Czech Republic as well. Unheard of.

And, down in the relegation round, the US finally woke up and beat Kazakhstan 10:0. Take that for cultural learnings, Borat.

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
Habs over Philly in 6: Unlike Boston, after Krejci went down, Montreal can match Philly in terms of skill and speed but they will get pushed around a ton. Plus Halak's a monster. Should be a great series if you love flopping though (What's up Carcillo and virtually anyone below Montreal's first line).

Sharks over Hawks in 7: San Jose's top two lines are essentially an All-Star team. Chicago's going to push Sharks but I can see San Jose's sandpaper guys grinding it out with them. As overrated as Nabokov is, he's got the edge over Niemi.

Both teams are going to be worn out from the Conference Finals but Montreal gets the unfortunate draw of playing a bigger, more offensively skilled Philly in the Sharks. Halak steals a game in San Jose and Sharks over the Habs in 5

Conn Smythe: Pavelski (could go to Halak, if the Habs win the Cup or lose but make it a series).

FAinPA

Let's Get Together, Before We Get Much Older
Amazing how my birthplace team (Pittsburgh) loses to the team I grew up rooting for (Montreal) who now faces the team in the city where I've settled (Philadelphia) who just completed one of the most amazing comebacks in both series and game seven itself on the road ever. Apologies to B's fans but you still have the C's. All I know is I'm 25th row behind the habs' Halak for periods 1+3 tonight at the Wachovia Center! Allez flyers et habs.

GTAFA

It's a really interesting final four. I'd be happy with any team winning. A win for any of them removes a monkey from somebody's back:
  • Sharks: a team that's never come this far, underdogs in spite of a terrific record
  • Flyers: came back from the brink in their last series, anything they accomplish feels miraculous
  • Hawks are so young, so energetic, and it's half a century since their last (and only) cup winner
  • okay the monkey for the Habs is on a neurotic hockey-mad country's back, aka Canada. Would a Habs win make the largest number of people happy? i suspect so, given that there don't seem to be more than a million fans for any of the other teams.
I am hoping for a Habs-Hawks final because not only is it original six, but a reprise of the '71 final. While Canadians usually pull for Montreal, I'd really love to see the Hawks win.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
It's a really interesting final four. I'd be happy with any team winning. A win for any of them removes a monkey from somebody's back:
  • Sharks: a team that's never come this far, underdogs in spite of a terrific record
  • Flyers: came back from the brink in their last series, anything they accomplish feels miraculous
  • Hawks are so young, so energetic, and it's half a century since their last (and only) cup winner
  • okay the monkey for the Habs is on a neurotic hockey-mad country's back, aka Canada. Would a Habs win make the largest number of people happy? i suspect so, given that there don't seem to be more than a million fans for any of the other teams.
I am hoping for a Habs-Hawks final because not only is it original six, but a reprise of the '71 final. While Canadians usually pull for Montreal, I'd really love to see the Hawks win.

I stand by my disdain for all other Canadian teams besides Ottawa, and last nights blowout was a tremendous start. Philly better not think it's over though, the Pens beat the Habs 6-3 in the first game of their series. Either way, they'll be picking up broken glass on rue Ste-Catherines again in a week or so. Probably the only sure thing left in these playoffs...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
In the Montreal-Phillies series.....Montreal got blown out in the first game, so are now officially the underdog.

In other words, Montreal now has Philly exactly where they wanted them, base on how the playoffs in the East have been going this year!

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Okay, maybe Leighton isn't the second coming of Bernie Parent, but he's doing a hell of a job for the Flyers right now...Of course Philly's game plan going in must've been simply "shut down Cammalleri and Gionta" since no one else on the Habs seems to know what a "goal" is. (Someone should wake up Gomez and tell him the playoffs have started.)

Chicago/Philly final, halfway there!

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
I'm not a huge hockey fan, not by any stretch, but I would have to say that Gary Bettman does a piss-poor job of promoting NHL hockey here in the United States. It's sad when there's so much talent in the league, but you wouldn't know it because of the lack of promotion. Why is this guy still around???

KHayes666

Go away
I'm not a huge hockey fan, not by any stretch, but I would have to say that Gary Bettman does a piss-poor job of promoting NHL hockey here in the United States. It's sad when there's so much talent in the league, but you wouldn't know it because of the lack of promotion. Why is this guy still around???

Bettman doesn't have a choice. To quote Don Cherry "All there is in hockey today are the Swedes and the Fins!" What's Bettman going to advertise, "Yes hockey fans, come see the amazing Jarno Kultanen!!!"

Since most of the NHL are dominated by Europeans and most Americans are off in business school (not to mention hockey is the single most expensive sport with all the equipment needed to buy) why the hell should casual fans care about the sport?

The only thing Bettman fucked up on are the new rules, casual fans want to see fights and big hits....with the new rules in place (not to mention the European wussies) the fights and checks have been limited.

So there ya have it....because of the huge influx of European players, the continual downfall of Americans in sports and new sissy rules there isn't much to promote anyway.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
:blink:

Umm, Kevin, who are the stars in Philly? Leighton holding the fort in net, Pronger patrolling in front of him, Gagne, Briere and Richards scoring the goals.

In Chicago? Heard of their two young stars, Kane and Toews? (granted Hossa is an important part of their attack too)

In San Jose? Heatly, Thornton, and Marleau are their premiere forwards, with Dan Boyle anchoring the defense (OK, european goal tender).

Even Montreal's attack is headlined by Gomez, Camallari and Gionta, for all that they are known for their high number of Europeans.

As for Bettman, he's always had one plan: to try and get a broad enough audience in the US to sign a decent network TV deal. I think his inflexibility and narrow focus have probably cost the league a lot.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Very sweet for those of us still mad at Heatley. Hawks sweep the Sharks!

Chicago seems unstoppable at this point, but there's still the matter of the Hossa Curse to overcome. I hope he gets his Cup this year.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Oh Man! Chicago versus Philadelphia for the Cup! I prefer the 'Hawks, but I'm hoping for a nasty, epic battle. Two franchises with totally nutty (non-Canadian) fans. Hockey nirvana...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Yah, no Canadian team, but you know there are serious fans in those two towns, so the crowds should be great.

I still want an option to have a game feed without commentators, just the crowd noise!

JMCGB

Well game 1 certainly didn't disappoint. Hopefully the rest of the series will follow suit. Can't wait to see how chippy Byf and Pronger get as this series goes on.

Latest posts