2009-2010 NHL Thread. Any Hockey fans??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
No one loves hockey more than Buffalo (it's true...seriously.)

:D

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
No one loves hockey more than Buffalo (it's true...seriously.)

I believe it! It is really not all that large of a city, probably one of the smaller ones to support an NHL team these days, and it has been a long time since it was a thriving city. I know they get a certain amount of fans coming down from nearby parts of Ontario, but still, you have to figure that there level of real dedicated support in Buffalo is higher than most places.

I'd love to see another Canadian team, but I'd rather not have it at the cost of Buffalo folding, which could be a danger of a team going into Hamilton :(

NoWayOut

I believe it! It is really not all that large of a city, probably one of the smaller ones to support an NHL team these days, and it has been a long time since it was a thriving city. I know they get a certain amount of fans coming down from nearby parts of Ontario, but still, you have to figure that there level of real dedicated support in Buffalo is higher than most places.

I'd love to see another Canadian team, but I'd rather not have it at the cost of Buffalo folding, which could be a danger of a team going into Hamilton :(

Amen. If you want another team in Canada, put it in Winnipeg or Quebec City. They would be fine.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
The greatest player (but admittedly not the greatest coach) has to walk away from the mess...Please get this team to Hamilton ASAP!

Heck, they'd even outdraw Phoenix if they moved them to Brantford...:doh:

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
The greatest player (but admittedly not the greatest coach) has to walk away from the mess...Please get this team to Hamilton ASAP!

Heck, they'd even outdraw Phoenix if they moved them to Brantford...:doh:

They'd outdraw Phoenix in Yellowknife.

luvembig

And the Devils have signed Rob Niedermayer, for reasons I still don't understand.............:mad:

This signing is about 5 years too damn late!!!!

canadianbbw4u

I LOVE hockey. Im an Oilers fan! Although my fav player is Crosby:eat2:
Cant wait till Oct 3 for the first game Edm/Calgary. Good ole Battle of Alberta!!

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Is it just me, or does anyone else think they should just fold the Coyotes at this point...

I do realize that the NHLPA would never allow it, but still...put them out of their misery!

Hamilton, your day will come...I will hate you yet...

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
Over/under on days before Sergei Kostitsyn pulls an Alex Radulov?

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
So, 2-3 games in...how are everyones teams doing? The Senators look like they are still getting adjusted to the new forward lines, but Leclaire in goal (SO FAR!) has given us a bit of hope.

Of course, Heatley is lighting it up in SJ...

bbwjessiestroxxx

Hey all dont feel bad about maple leafs and whoever else.

Im from ny and I dont even like my home team so whatever.

I will be a flyers fan 4 lyfe and dallas stars rock too.

G'day :kiss2:

Ola

Keeper of 'tinis
All those other pseudo-sports have got NOTHING on hockey! :D

I follow several leagues both in NA and in Europe, but since this is an NHL thread I'll just stick to the topic. I'm a Caps fan, but there are several other teams in the league that I like, such as Detroit and the Rangers.

I think I'll start paying attention to the Edmonton Oilers as well. They had, by far, the best draft this year. As if Paajarvi and Lander (two of my favourite Swedish prospects) weren't enough, they also got Toni Fucking Rajala and Olivier Roy. Now, assuming all these players reach their potential that's just insane! :eek:

As for predictions for the season... Toronto will keep tanking, Backstrom will have a 100-point season, Mike Green will have an off year, and there's no point in predicting the playoffs as all the teams will have lost their current pace (and possibly a couple of players due to injuries) after the Olympic break. At least that's what happened in 2006... Fingers crossed for Washington to win it all, though! =)

Blackjack_Jeeves

I'm a pepper, too...
I've been hearing great things about the Blackhawks lately, and being a Chicago fan in general, I guess I would call them my team. I enjoy watching hockey, but I don't follow it regularly. However, one of my favorite Sega Genesis games ever was NHL '94, and my favorite team on there BY FAR was the Sabres. So part of me would rather root for them than the Hawks. :D

OIFMountaineer

Kilt Up.
I envy you, that you can root for more than one team at a time. It probably makes the season more enjoyable...:D

Myself, I have a pathological hatred for EVERY other NHL team. It's Ottawa Senators or nothing for me. In fact, I even have a tier system for my hate starting with my most hated and progressing from there. Thusly...

Tier One (Most Foulest Blood-Boiling Hate): Toronto Maple Leafs, of course. :mad:
Tier Two (Extreme Hate, but just a step below above) : All other Canadian teams. I don't buy into the philosophy that whatever team is still left in the playoffs is "Canada's Team". Blechh! What do I care if Calgary wins another Cup??
Tier Three (Massive Hate) : Other non-Canadian teams within the same division. Sorry Boston and Buffalo, but you should NEVER cheer for someone else in your division...
Tier Four (Seething Hate) : Non-Canadian or divisional teams that have beaten my team in the playoffs at some point...Jersey, Pittsburgh, and freakin' Anaheim...
Tier Five (Non-specific hate, but hate just the same...) : The rest. Just because...

Having said all that, I really hope that Winnipeg and Hamilton get teams since it would be WAY more fun to hate them as opposed to Phoenix, or Tampa, or Nashville...

I can respect that level of fandom, that being said, Go Pens! (Your favorite tier-4 hatee!)

luvembig

And the Devils have signed Rob Niedermayer, for reasons I still don't understand.............:mad:

This signing is about 5 years too damn late!!!!

I must take this back and apologize to the old man. So far he's been better than expected and Clarkson is all of a sudden a beast in front of the net! And after a slow start at home, some southern cooking in Florida and DC has done my boys good. It's still early but I certainly hope this keeps up and Marty keeps doing his thing. Never retire Marty!!!!!!

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I can respect that level of fandom, that being said, Go Pens! (Your favorite tier-4 hatee!)

:doh: 4-1 Pens! We apparently do not have a power play...

I should be furious, but it's too early in the season. Besides, that was a nice beatdown the Pens gave the Leafs Saturday night. Always nice to see the Leafs lose at home on Hockey Night In Canada!

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
You know it is going to be a rough game when the other goes ahead on a goal where the puck bounces off one players leg, goes across the front of the net, goes off another player's skate, and perfectly into the open side of the net. Once I saw that goal I figured there was no way the Sens were coming back.

I doubt that any of the five Pheonix fans are members of Dimensions, but as an old Winnipeg fan I keep a slight eye on how the desert dogs are doing. And they are actually off to a fairly decent start--six points from five games, with only seven goals against them. After all that franchise has been through lately, I'd love to see them be competitive this year!

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Apparently the Mayor of Quebec City met with Bettman recently...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294409

If they build an arena I'd say they have as good a shot as Winnipeg or Hamilton to get a team as well.

The Nordiques had one of the best 'classic' NHL uniforms too...

Latest posts