'600 Lb Life' to Feature Our Original 'Rock Star'

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jah

Veggie girl
https://www.facebook.com/candice.brown.71404,
You don't have to be supersize to have regrets. I 270 pounds and have regrets. I didn't realise how good I had it when I was thinner. But then I'm a FFA that gained weight while married due to picking up some of my BHM husband's habits. I don't think weightloss and fat acceptance should be in conflict. It's not fair to force fat people into losing weight but it's equally not fair to say that a fat person has to stay fat.

Marlayna

The unfortunate fact is that there is lots of "crying, misery, and regret" in the super-size community. Many extra-large deeply regret choices they've made over the years. Poor choices (often, but not always, facilitated) have turned many people who could have happy 200 or 300 pound fat people into miserable 500 or 600 pound people.

Zsalynn's and Pauline's stories are but two of many. Indeed just this weekend a close friend lamented about how she hated "what she did to herself."

This is the dark side of our community. A side many would just as soon ignore.
Yes, the quality of life is compromised, the higher one goes. With age comes wisdom, but sadly, friendly advice is usually met with "myob".:(;)

Gendo Ikari

The Intellectual
The unfortunate fact is that there is lots of "crying, misery, and regret" in the super-size community. Many extra-large deeply regret choices they've made over the years. Poor choices (often, but not always, facilitated) have turned many people who could have happy 200 or 300 pound fat people into miserable 500 or 600 pound people.

Zsalynn's and Pauline's stories are but two of many. Indeed just this weekend a close friend lamented about how she hated "what she did to herself."

The sooner we, as a community as a whole from Dims to Curvage to BBWchan to Deviantart, confront these demons and skeletons in our closet, the better I believe things will be.

Things will at least be honest.

loveembig

^ This is spot on, but I would also like to add my own 2 cents.

I’ve watched and lurked around this community for going on approx. 20 years now; going all the way back to the early to mid-90s when I first discovered that it had an internet presence. Although I never jumped in with both feet or became an active member or became an frequent poster around here I’ve watched it go thru a lot of changes. I’ve also seen a lot of denial and watched an incomprehensible, illogical, ideological dogma evolve regarding extreme weight, its health consequences and weight loss. It wasn’t all that long ago when the prevailing attitude was one that claimed a person could be 5, 6 or 700lbs and still be happy, healthy and lead a full life. Unfortunately for most of us who live in the real world that is a blatant lie that we told ourselves so we could feel good about our lifestyle choices. It was also totally contrary to my own previous life lessons and experiences. I can recall the few times I tried to discuss this and interject my own contrary point of view; most notably on my old Yahoo group site and My DA page as well, I was met with outrage, denial and an “how dare you” attitude from many of the members of the FA and feederism communities. It doesn’t take long to realize that some people simply want to live a lie and fool themselves into believing their own bullshit especially when they can run and find support from dozens of other people who are of like mind. So I do believe that many of us instead of facing and continuing to discuss the issue simple skirted and glossed over it for years. It’s only when stuff like the subject of this thread comes to the surface and forces many of us to look in the mirror that we start to realize just how screwed many in the SA community actually are.

Gendo Ikari

The Intellectual

I’ve watched and lurked around this community for going on approx. 20 years now; going all the way back to the early to mid-90s when I first discovered that it had an internet presence. Although I never jumped in with both feet or became an active member or became an frequent poster around here I’ve watched it go thru a lot of changes. I’ve also seen a lot of denial and watched an incomprehensible, illogical, ideological dogma evolve regarding extreme weight, its health consequences and weight loss. It wasn’t all that long ago when the prevailing attitude was one that claimed a person could be 5, 6 or 700lbs and still be happy, healthy and lead a full life. Unfortunately for most of us who live in the real world that is a blatant lie that we told ourselves so we could feel good about our lifestyle choices. It was also totally contrary to my own previous life lessons and experiences. I can recall the few times I tried to discuss this and interject my own contrary point of view; most notably on my old Yahoo group site and My DA page as well, I was met with outrage, denial and an “how dare you” attitude from many of the members of the FA and feederism communities. It doesn’t take long to realize that some people simply want to live a lie and fool themselves into believing their own bullshit especially when they can run and find support from dozens of other people who are of like mind. So I do believe that many of us instead of facing and continuing to discuss the issue simple skirted and glossed over it for years. It’s only when stuff like the subject of this thread comes to the surface and forces many of us to look in the mirror that we start to realize just how screwed many in the SA community actually are.
Exactly. Ignoring the elephant in the room combined with the inherent dishonesty in the system.

It's funny to me, a subculture like ours, based on a taboo in American (for the most part) society, has it's own set of taboos that should not be talked about, but glossed over and ignored.

The WLS forum has been pretty active for the good part of the past two years...

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator

I have to disagree with you saying this isn't possible. You can brand everybody who thinks differently to you with one umbrella of 'denial' if you like but that doesn't make it true or everybody who disagrees with you wrong. Are there people who can be healthy at that size? Yes. Simple statistics dictates that, the human population follows a bell curve of weights and will follow a bell curve of 'highest healthiest weight' as well. There are therefore going to be increasingly less people who are healthy as you get to the higher weights but there is no such thing as a maximum healthy weight and saying that there is only serves to alienate the larger members of our community. Secondly, as somebody who happens to be an expert on mammal physiology and therefore pretty well versed in human physiology, I see absolutely no reason why at 500lbs or any other arbitrary weight every single human body would be unable to cope. Every person is different and there will be people who are healthy at 600lbs. Just because you don't know any doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means they aren't online in the same places you are or don't feel like posting. Thirdly, I know more than one lady on this forum who weighs more than 500lbs who has a successful career, is perfectly mobile and lives a happy and profitable life that frankly I am more than a little envious of! So making sweeping statements about how nobody can be healthy at higher weights and that everybody who thinks differently is in denial is just unhelpful and untrue. Is every super sized person healthy? No. Can excess weight cause health problems? Yes. But there is no magic number for the whole population to be under or they are 'unhealthy', that is exactly the same concept that the BMI charts use to tell me I can't be healthy if I am above 136lbs.

Saoirse

You know why Great Danes and other large breed dogs have 10 year life spans? Cause their bodies are too big. Thats just how it is.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
You know why Great Danes and other large breed dogs have 10 year life spans? Cause their bodies are too big. Thats just how it is.
Explain elephants. And mice. And the general link between increased size and extended life across the animal kingdom. Also, dogs such as great danes tend to be the most highly bred where as things such as terrier are more rarely bred and hence less likely to obtain genetic illness or build up of small genetic defects that affect like expectancy. Also, their is a huge difference in biology between obesity and an overall increase in bone size. A great dane is more comparable to a human with a growth disorder causing extreme height. Extremely tall humans tend to live shorter lives than average height people, regardless of the level of fat on their bodies. That is a result of having a heart that has to work harder to reach longer distances against gravity; most large breeds of dog tend to have heart issues, though my 12 inch terrier who has had congestive heart failure since five years old can tell you this isn't always the case. In obese people there is an increase in the amount of fat in the body but not in the amount of muscle or bone etc which is where the problems with large breeds of dog come from. Hence boxers having more heart conditions and a shorter life span than, say, a dalmatian. Both are naturally lean dogs of similar heights but the difference in life span is significant.

MillyLittleMonster

Shinigami
Are we really that surprised anymore? They milk the paysites for all they're worth then go on national television to either get a reality tv deal or to lose weight. I've grown immune to things like this.

Oh and I love how Christina's husband (if you clicked on the season 2 cast list) looks like every stereotypical a-hole FA I've ever known online or in person. You can almost see the disdain on his face in the picture that she wants to lose weight.
I had a look and I admit I laughed...
Here is the link.

http://www.poptower.com/christina-my-600-lb-life-picture-129181.htm

superodalisque

i'm very proud of you for saying this. people won't make it easy. denial in some is impenetrable especially they are inexperienced and really don't know too many of the people they ogle personally IRL and never see what they have to deal with on a daily basis. there is also a lot of cognizant dissonance in the community among the ones who've been here for a while because of cognizant dissonance and ego. there are people who have gotten very drunk on fat attention and the power it has given them and put themselves out there are the arbiters of fat people's choices about their bodies, as though someone can determine exactly what each fat person has a right to when it comes to his/her own body. i really respect you for standing up in order to protect the people we care about. i'm not just talking about women or men encouraged to go to the extent of being immobile or passing away either.

nobody talks about the admirers who get caught up in the unintended consequences and the guilt they feel about the results they may or may not be the cause of. i know people who've committed suicide around it. i know people who've had mental breaks because of the internal conflict. i know people who've become abusive toward folks because of the strain. i know people who've gotten blamed or branded because they left a situation that was underplayed to sucker them in that actually turned out to be too much to ask anybody to carry that you barely know. i know some who've done exactly as their partner asked and when the person became ill were made the scapegoat even though the person later admitted they had an eating disorder. meanwhile the demonization stuck and the apology was never heard.

whe things get to be too much for an admirer suddenly they are told they don't really like fat people or they are not "real" admirers or that they are closeted. the truth is some have been suckered in by people who need a caretaker and not everyone is cut out for that or ever wants to do it. ask anyone who has ever had to take care of anyone who can't take care of themselves of any size. it's very difficult emotionally and physically and a caretaker can very easily end up in the hospital themselves. so it's not just about fat people being harmed. i mean it from the bottom of my heart when i say that i care just as much about people who are for fat folk as i do about fat folk , which is exactly why i say some of the hard stuff that i do. and the "admirers" who really know me know that i love them just like i love my fat friends. i don't want them to be hurt either.

at some point everyone has to face reality. it's so easy to say "no, no that doesn't happen", when you are basically just fantasizing about extremes with a smaller partner. a whole lot of people get caught up like that especially, as you have said, there has been a lot of pressure not to talk about what actually happens to people we know and love that we've been friends with IRL for what seems like forever. but sometimes we need to break from the party line. fun is one thing. fantasy is one thing. reality is something else. expecting fat people to bring their real lives in line with fantasy is a huge problem. admirers who expect that they can are often setting themselves up or a huge problem. i truly hope the people who haven't do wake up before personal reality forces them to.

bigmac

I have to disagree with you saying this isn't possible. You can brand everybody who thinks differently to you with one umbrella of 'denial' if you like but that doesn't make it true or everybody who disagrees with you wrong. Are there people who can be healthy at that size? Yes. Simple statistics dictates that, the human population follows a bell curve of weights and will follow a bell curve of 'highest healthiest weight' as well. There are therefore going to be increasingly less people who are healthy as you get to the higher weights but there is no such thing as a maximum healthy weight and saying that there is only serves to alienate the larger members of our community. Secondly, as somebody who happens to be an expert on mammal physiology and therefore pretty well versed in human physiology, I see absolutely no reason why at 500lbs or any other arbitrary weight every single human body would be unable to cope. Every person is different and there will be people who are healthy at 600lbs. Just because you don't know any doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means they aren't online in the same places you are or don't feel like posting. Thirdly, I know more than one lady on this forum who weighs more than 500lbs who has a successful career, is perfectly mobile and lives a happy and profitable life that frankly I am more than a little envious of! So making sweeping statements about how nobody can be healthy at higher weights and that everybody who thinks differently is in denial is just unhelpful and untrue. Is every super sized person healthy? No. Can excess weight cause health problems? Yes. But there is no magic number for the whole population to be under or they are 'unhealthy', that is exactly the same concept that the BMI charts use to tell me I can't be healthy if I am above 136lbs.
I've never asserted that there is some magic number over which good health is impossible. I'm also very aware that many many people actually function better and are healthier at weights above those recommended. For example height/weight charts all say I should weigh less than 220 pounds (I'm a 6'4" male). For me 220 pounds is an unreasonably low weight (when I left the Army at age 30 I was in great shape and weighted 250 pounds). A healthy weight range for me would be about 250 to 280 pounds. As I approach 50 years old and weigh a little over 300 pounds its become increasingly clear that to maintain my health and remain active I have to loose at least 25 pounds.

Given my height and significant lean body mass I doubt there are many people out there better equipped to carry significant body weight. I'm quite sure that if I weighed 500 pounds I'd still be mobile enough to perform the minimum required activities of life. However, I'm also quite sure I'd be unhealthy and miserable.

The bottom line is that you can exceed the weights recommended on those stupid height weight charts by a considerable margin and still be healthy, active, and happy. However, there comes a point when fat and health are incompatible.

superodalisque

i'm curious, have you ever met those women in person? i used to think the same until i actually met and got to know people IRL. and also what is their age? that has a lot to do with it as well.

Scarlette

I give good face :)
I don't say a lot on this board for a few reasons, and some of which get touched upon in the posts I have read in this thread. I am watching this episode as I type this. I write this from MY perspective/situation etc.
Disclaimer: I pass NO judgment, and try my best not to offend, as that is not my intention. I also am not the best with words, so if i ramble, jump all over well, you've been warned! (how diplomatic Canadian of me huh!)

I am all for people doing what they want, and if they aren't healthy or happy in their own mind, then all the power to them. Zsalynne does say she did travel, enjoyed events, felt like Miss America in the community. BUT did say after time she wasn't living, was miserable and just existing. So she has made the decision for herself and for that I say kudos. IMO, and again I do not know her or husband, nor claim to know their full dynamic, found him to be a bit of a schmuck. Just saying.( I am sure I will get flack for that, and again it could be how they show him in media)

I am a web model, and have been since I was 30. I started out when I was about 230lbs and am currently about 275lbs. I NEVER intended to gain, nor ever planned to gain, nor play up that I am a gainer. I do post on the webmodel section as a means to marketing and that is part of "the industry". I am aware some girls do the "fantasy gaining" thing in pictures, and I won't lie, I can eat a whole pizza, dozen donuts etc (yes i did this on boxing day even) but I do not film it as I find eating FOR ME is a private thing. I am posting all this because I read something about models making $ off the weight, and then snubbing the people who supported their career/past. I have seen this happen and don't necessarily agree with them.
That being said, I have been told I am way to small on here before, at events, and by web masters. I have NO intention to gain (as I have stated) and it can be just as hurtful/annoying/damaging to people as being told to lose weight, be thin, etc. Now saying I want to lose weight is up to me, in will power and choice. Saying that on here (or other boards) can be a bit taboo, but again, I like to think this is about SA etc.
As for those that gain because THEY want to, I say do as you want; But I know that its easier to put on then take off. And as you get older, its even harder. I do know that there are some girls that purposely gain for their modelling careers (have even told me so) and this worries me for the difficulties to lose, and the stress puts on them. I shouldn't be concerned but I am as I know how frustrating it can be to lose.

As for the aspect of my health, last dr's visit I am internally healthy re: blood tests, cholesterol, no diabetes, heart etc etc is all good. HOWEVER, my knees and hips hurt. I am out of shape and I know this because I use to play sports, go out dancing lots and now, well I don't and get winded easy etc.
I would like to lose weight and be about 180 which I was in high school (haha yes I know many ppl wish could be high school weight) but I felt healthy and didn't hurt. Heck I will take 225! They (almighty medical people whoever they be) say I should be in between 120-140. I was 160 in first year of college and I gotta say I looked like death warmed over. I looked unhealthy.

SO ALL IN ALL, to each their own, as long as they are happy.

Ok so my view point is over. If anything I said made sense great, but if off topic or totally confusing, welcome to my head!

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Watching the episode right now.

I identify so much with her sorrow. In many ways, I've been in her place, at my heaviest, I weighed 679 and had no quality of life. To those who can and are happy, good for them, really.

I was going to have WLS but at the last second I changed my mind. I'd jumped through all the flaming hoops the surgeon required to operate, but before we set the surgical date, I decided not to go through with it because I'd lost a significant amount on my own and would lose more on my own, and with counseling and therapy. Leaving an abusive marriage did wonders as well.

I've been able to keep all the weight off and know that I'm fortunate in that respect. I greatly respect everyone who takes charge of their lives, their health, their quality of life, and knowing the consequences of all their decisions, and even then, some are unknown. I also understand how people go back and forth. It's called relapse and is common and part of addiction recovery.

I wish her all the best and a long happy healthy life.

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
This thread is the most hateful, concern-troll-laden thread in modern memory. Good job all who have contributed.

There is no magic benchmark weight threshold between "healthy" and "unhealthy" and it's NOT YOUR BUSINESS ANYWAY.

There is no magic benchmark weight threshold between "happy" and "unhappy" and it's NOT YOUR BUSINESS ANYWAY.

There is no magic correlation that relates weight to happiness. There isn't. But that's also NOT YOUR BUSINESS ANYWAY.

Intentional gaining is no better or worse for you than non-intentional gaining, but, again, NOT YOUR BUSINESS ANYWAY.

Special shout-out to the poster who compared supersize people to large-breed dogs in the most illogical argument I may have ever read, though. Wow.

Isa

In search of....
This thread is the most hateful, concern-troll-laden thread in modern memory. Good job all who have contributed.

There is no magic benchmark weight threshold between "healthy" and "unhealthy" and it's NOT YOUR BUSINESS ANYWAY.

There is no magic benchmark weight threshold between "happy" and "unhappy" and it's NOT YOUR BUSINESS ANYWAY.

There is no magic correlation that relates weight to happiness. There isn't. But that's also NOT YOUR BUSINESS ANYWAY.

Intentional gaining is no better or worse for you than non-intentional gaining, but, again, NOT YOUR BUSINESS ANYWAY.

Special shout-out to the poster who compared supersize people to large-breed dogs in the most illogical argument I may have ever read, though. Wow.
There is also a fair amount of truth in this thread that a lot of people, especially those who play the "fat is always wonderful" card, will never admit to.

Gendo Ikari

The Intellectual

If it's not my business, I shouldn't be allowed to have opinions then.

Still love your work Ash, but I am allowed to have my opinions on you, on anyone and everyone in this community, and the community itself.

I have that right, just like you have the right to tell me to fuck off, which I won't ever take personally, and neither should you about my stupid meaningless opinions.

Gendo Ikari

The Intellectual
Zsalynn is making this all public and in the open. Being so public we have the right to be opinionated about this. There is no "minding our business" when it's on prime time.

bigmac

Zsalynn is making this all public and in the open. Being so public we have the right to be opinionated about this. There is no "minding our business" when it's on prime time.
I'm happy she's been very open and public about this. Her experiences as she got older and fatter are very similar to the experiences of several close friends who would not be comfortable sharing their stories to this extent. Finding balance as a fat person is not easy. Zsalynn's experiences may make some people uncomfortable but nevertheless provide a useful glimpse into the life of a very fat person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group builder