'600 Lb Life' to Feature Our Original 'Rock Star'

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlayna

I enjoyed the show. I thought it would be depressing, but it was uplifting. She has a lot of things going for her, and has a wonderful friend in Bonnie, and a beautiful little daughter. The pictures of her when she was younger, show what a stunning woman she was. I have no doubt that she had many men who were crazy about her.:smitten:
I don't think her husband is a bad man, just unenlightened, and misguided. He needs to grow up if he wants to stay married.:(
WLS can be dangerous, but it looks like it saved Zsa's life. Good for her, and I wish her continued success. She's a brave woman, and I admire her for that.:bow:

vardon_grip

Consistently smarmy
Are these discussions such a threat to one's livelihood, personal comfort and boners that the rest of us fat folk can't talk about concerns for ourselves and others in our community? Worry not, customers and cohorts won't go away.

It is a double standard when some people can enjoy "protected" discussions about paysite models, feeding, stuffing and weight gain and then jump boards to deride discussions about the risks of obesity and other health concerns.

I understand that nothing here has to be democratic or fair, but it is nice to dream.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
i'm curious, have you ever met those women in person? i used to think the same until i actually met and got to know people IRL. and also what is their age? that has a lot to do with it as well.
Hmm, well I do know a fair number of ladies that are between 400 and 500lbs at my estimation (obviously I don't go around weighing them so not entirely sure). One of them is my age, 23, and I have known her since we were 11 and she has always been a larger lady and I have never once known her have any problems to do with her size, but then again, who is to say what goes on behind closed doors? She always took part in PE and whatnot and was about on a level with me in terms of fitness, not that that says much to be honest! But she has always walked around uni faster than me, I've never seen her physically tired etc. She has lost quite a lot of weight lately though and I think she looks and seems as lovely as ever! I know two older ladies in their 50s who are about 500lbs and less mobile. And on the male side of things I know a couple of gentleman from the dog showing world that I would say are in excess of 500lbs who seem perfectly bright and healthy to me (though admittedly we are not close). One of them is a man in his 30s who is a handler of a larger breed of terrier which involves jogging at a steady pace around a ring, including the best in show ring at one show which is roughly three quarters of the size of a basketball court (we were in a sports hall). He had no problem with this and didn't seem at all red or out of breath when standing his dog at the end, which is impressive because I would have been panting! The second gentleman I would estimate at between 50 and 60 and has been running one of my local shows for as long as I can remember. As the coordinator of the show he spends almost all of the day from 8am to 6pm on his feet and walking around sorting things out and even in his more senior years I have never seen him out of breath or anything, tired at the end of the day, yes, but I think everybody would be! My own fiance is a man who goes between 400 and 450lbs and he takes care of his disabled mother, does all the cooking and chores and shopping and what not as well as walking his aunts dogs a couple of times a week. He is only 30 but still very happy and active (outside of his anxiety issues).

Sorry this somehow turned into such a ramble, I guess I like the sound of my own voice! :p But from what I can tell it just depends on the person whether or not they can have a mobile and happy life at larger sizes. For some people the extra weight causes severe problems but for others it seems to have very little impact, that is my take on it at least.

superodalisque

Hmm, well I do know a fair number of ladies that are between 400 and 500lbs at my estimation (obviously I don't go around weighing them so not entirely sure). One of them is my age, 23, and I have known her since we were 11 and she has always been a larger lady and I have never once known her have any problems to do with her size, but then again, who is to say what goes on behind closed doors? She always took part in PE and whatnot and was about on a level with me in terms of fitness, not that that says much to be honest! But she has always walked around uni faster than me, I've never seen her physically tired etc. She has lost quite a lot of weight lately though and I think she looks and seems as lovely as ever! I know two older ladies in their 50s who are about 500lbs and less mobile. And on the male side of things I know a couple of gentleman from the dog showing world that I would say are in excess of 500lbs who seem perfectly bright and healthy to me (though admittedly we are not close). One of them is a man in his 30s who is a handler of a larger breed of terrier which involves jogging at a steady pace around a ring, including the best in show ring at one show which is roughly three quarters of the size of a basketball court (we were in a sports hall). He had no problem with this and didn't seem at all red or out of breath when standing his dog at the end, which is impressive because I would have been panting! The second gentleman I would estimate at between 50 and 60 and has been running one of my local shows for as long as I can remember. As the coordinator of the show he spends almost all of the day from 8am to 6pm on his feet and walking around sorting things out and even in his more senior years I have never seen him out of breath or anything, tired at the end of the day, yes, but I think everybody would be! My own fiance is a man who goes between 400 and 450lbs and he takes care of his disabled mother, does all the cooking and chores and shopping and what not as well as walking his aunts dogs a couple of times a week. He is only 30 but still very happy and active (outside of his anxiety issues).

Sorry this somehow turned into such a ramble, I guess I like the sound of my own voice! :p But from what I can tell it just depends on the person whether or not they can have a mobile and happy life at larger sizes. For some people the extra weight causes severe problems but for others it seems to have very little impact, that is my take on it at least.
for you i think it would help you a lot to start going to events. i think it would educate you on quite a lot of things. also it's a good idea to have exposure to more people of your own age and older who are larger. i believe it depends a lot on the person too. i was athletic and i have spinal cord damage but i still get around better than a lot of other people i know because i was always athletic. at my heaviest i was 420 or so. i could dance all night and play tennis all day in the heat. i'm now at about 360. i didn't actually diet. i had a thyroid condition that was treated and that made me lighter. but i think that being a bit lighter than i was and having a strong athletic background when the serious symptoms of my spinal chord condition came on really kept me from becoming immobile. my doctor had told me i would not walk, but of course i wasn't hearing that. today i am walking a quite a lot :) i know quite a few people with much fewer physical issues who aren't able to get around. and there are a lot of people like me who have other issues in conjunction with their weight that can really knock you down when it comes to living your life.

anectdote: once when i was going to get my hair done and i met a lady who was nearly half my size at my largest, probably about 210 or so. she could hardly breath and was having a hard time walking etc... we had a long open talk. weight was a lot harder for her to carry. her body was fragile. she was not the athletic type and just wasn't made for it. it just wasn't working for her personally. so yeah we can be very different.

i can say that because of the community and making the extra effort on my own that i have probably met several hundred very fat people. i can count probably a good 50 or so people that i'd considered pretty decent friends and confidants who are at least 400lbs. most are maybe 35 and over. a good percentage have been hospitalized before for something that even they feel is fat related --and i'm not talking about diabetes and high blood pressure either.

i'm not trying to be dismissive on the basis of age, but i do think it is a tendency for younger people to rely on exactly the type of experiences you've mentioned. all of us think or have thought that we were immortal. we've all done it. i've seen it before right here in this forum. now, however many just a few years older than you are the ones spending weeks if not months hospitalized and making the decision to be more careful after a rude awakening. i just wish they'd have paid it some serious attention before it got to that point. but there are some things people just have to find out on their own. youth can protect anyone forever from the obvious strain on joints and tendencies toward lymphedema and cellulitis etc...

it's also disturbing the way that people underplay the effect a lot of weight can have on a person's lifestyle. i can't tell you how many people i know who are traumatized by just the thought of taking a plane or going to a theatre. i can't speak for everyone but i like to travel. i love to go abroad. i like going out and being social. i think it can be managed at all sizes but there are a lot of people who do allow their weight to keep them from doing many things out of fear and perceived potential embarrassment. but worse there are people living limited lives who pretend that it doesn't matter that they hardly go anywhere or do anything but fat events.

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
Are these discussions such a threat to one's livelihood, personal comfort and boners that the rest of us fat folk can't talk about concerns for ourselves and others in our community? Worry not, customers and cohorts won't go away.

It is a double standard when some people can enjoy "protected" discussions about paysite models, feeding, stuffing and weight gain and then jump boards to deride discussions about the risks of obesity and other health concerns.

I understand that nothing here has to be democratic or fair, but it is nice to dream.
These discussions have nothing to do with my livelihood, and jumping boards? I've been a member of this community for over twelve years, and I was a contributor here well before I ever modeled.

More importantly, though, I am a supersize woman, and here are a bunch of not-500 and not-600 pound people telling me that I can't possibly be happy or healthy. Because clearly you live in my body and attend my doctors' appointments with me.

You are absolutely entitled to an opinion, but when you start voicing it, I, as a member of the population you're commenting on, am entitled to tell you to mind your own damn business.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
for you i think it would help you a lot to start going to events. i think it would educate you on quite a lot of things. also it's a good idea to have exposure to more people of your own age and older who are larger. i believe it depends a lot on the person too. i was athletic and i have spinal cord damage but i still get around better than a lot of other people i know because i was always athletic. at my heaviest i was 420 or so. i could dance all night and play tennis all day in the heat. i'm now at about 360. i didn't actually diet. i had a thyroid condition that was treated and that made me lighter. but i think that being a bit lighter than i was and having a strong athletic background when the serious symptoms of my spinal chord condition came on really kept me from becoming immobile. my doctor had told me i would not walk, but of course i wasn't hearing that. today i am walking a quite a lot :) i know quite a few people with much fewer physical issues who aren't able to get around. and there are a lot of people like me who have other issues in conjunction with their weight that can really knock you down when it comes to living your life.

anectdote: once when i was going to get my hair done and i met a lady who was nearly half my size at my largest, probably about 210 or so. she could hardly breath and was having a hard time walking etc... we had a long open talk. weight was a lot harder for her to carry. her body was fragile. she was not the athletic type and just wasn't made for it. it just wasn't working for her personally. so yeah we can be very different.

i can say that because of the community and making the extra effort on my own that i have probably met several hundred very fat people. i can count probably a good 50 or so people that i'd considered pretty decent friends and confidants who are at least 400lbs. most are maybe 35 and over. a good percentage have been hospitalized before for something that even they feel is fat related --and i'm not talking about diabetes and high blood pressure either.

i'm not trying to be dismissive on the basis of age, but i do think it is a tendency for younger people to rely on exactly the type of experiences you've mentioned. all of us think or have thought that we were immortal. we've all done it. i've seen it before right here in this forum. now, however many just a few years older than you are the ones spending weeks if not months hospitalized and making the decision to be more careful after a rude awakening. i just wish they'd have paid it some serious attention before it got to that point. but there are some things people just have to find out on their own. youth can protect anyone forever from the obvious strain on joints and tendencies toward lymphedema and cellulitis etc...

it's also disturbing the way that people underplay the effect a lot of weight can have on a person's lifestyle. i can't tell you how many people i know who are traumatized by just the thought of taking a plane or going to a theatre. i can't speak for everyone but i like to travel. i love to go abroad. i like going out and being social. i think it can be managed at all sizes but there are a lot of people who do allow their weight to keep them from doing many things out of fear and perceived potential embarrassment. but worse there are people living limited lives who pretend that it doesn't matter that they hardly go anywhere or do anything but fat events.
To be honest with you I really would like to go to events but I haven't heard of any near where I live (I live in the midlands in England). Maybe I am looking in the wrong places? I have always wanted to go to that sort of thing but they seem to happen more frequently in the US. Like I said, maybe I am just being blonde and not looking in the right places online? I admit my experience with larger people is limited compared to a lot of people on these boards. I know what you mean about an athletic body type and lifestyle having a big effect on how your body copes with extra weight. I know I am naturally strong and athletic in build and although I am medically classed as obese I actually feel fitter and healthier now compared to being 60 lbs lighter whilst I have seen other people my size that get winded and what not and struggle with their size. I think that a lot of it depends on the individual really. It is awesome that you managed to walk again after that spinal condition and what the doctors say, you must have a strong body and mind to be able to recover in such a way!

I know that my own experience with, well, I don't mean to be rude but older people is lacking somewhat because I don't have a lot of friends in general and most of them tend to be around my own age. I have noticed that the older people tend to struggle more with weight related conditions but I admit to not being close to many of them so I rely on observation rather than asking them themselves. I am not denying in any way that being bigger can be a strain for a lot of people.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that I am oblivious to the health effects of higher weights? I think that is what you meant, anyway, correct me if I am wrong? Like I said, I have seen people who are older and large who seem to have a level of fitness and endurance on a level with my own and I have seen people of similar age and build who have considerable mobility issues. I was never trying to imply that being extremely large can't or doesn't have health effects in a lot of people, just that sweeping statements like the one another poster made on this board that stated it wasn't possible to be healthy over a certain size isn't correct. The higher the weight the fewer people that will not have weight related issues but it doesn't mean it is impossible to be 500lbs and healthy, just that very few people can be. That was the point I was trying to make. My mother-in-law-to-be is in her 50s and around 500lbs and can barely walk due to a combination of her weight and arthritis and has had multiple heart failures and blood clots on the lungs, which I believe are likely to do with her size and her inactive lifestyle (not that she has much choice with the mobility issues). Certainly I am aware that being at a high weight can cause serious health problems for some people and sadly there is no way to know if as you age you will develop more issues. All I was trying to say before is that it is possible to be of a higher weight and be healthy, not that everybody is or can be.

That is true, I know there isn't much talk of the psychological effects being bigger can have on people, which I have always found kind of odd given the nature of this forum. I know this isn't a great comparison but I have an anxiety disorder and for many years of my life I have struggled with body dysmorphia, viewing myself as extremely large even though for most of my life I have been between 130-150lbs. I know I don't know the physical discomfort of being larger in tight spaces but for many years and even now I fear being judged on my size amongst other things and rarely leave my house. I have experienced real fear of not being able to fit into rides and through spaces or between tables and fear of being judged for my size due to my body dysmorphia, so I have a limited understanding of the anxiety some larger people can experience in every day life. It is one of the things that really irks me, that society causes people to feel such anxiety just for the size of their bodies, but that is another topic altogether! I actually think there is a link between being larger and anxiety problems, probably due to part to the fear of embarrassment or physical difficulties fitting. I just wish there was more I could do to try and alter society to be less cruel and judgemental but as I have gotten older I have come to realise that there will always be jerks out there looking to ruin somebodies day no matter what. :(

Edit: I guess I should also add that I have absolutely no problem with people trying to lose weight and such, for health or psychological/emotional reasons. But I just don't think that people should feel pressured into losing weight because other people think they are too big to be happy or healthy.

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
These discussions have nothing to do with my livelihood, and jumping boards? I've been a member of this community for over twelve years, and I was a contributor here well before I ever modeled.

More importantly, though, I am a supersize woman, and here are a bunch of not-500 and not-600 pound people telling me that I can't possibly be happy or healthy. Because clearly you live in my body and attend my doctors' appointments with me.

You are absolutely entitled to an opinion, but when you start voicing it, I, as a member of the population you're commenting on, am entitled to tell you to mind your own damn business.
Ashley, don't you understand? You're fatter than the acceptance threshold AND do modeling, therefore you're invisible to the likes of Supero, Big Mac, Saorise and Vardon Grip. You run up against the same shit from that same cast in nearly every boneheaded fatshaming discussion started by that group. Crazy to see more hate for supersized people on here than Curvage, bizzaro dims.

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
Ashley, don't you understand? You're fatter than the acceptance threshold AND do modeling, therefore you're invisible to the likes of Supero, Big Mac, Saorise and Vardon Grip. You run up against the same shit from that same cast in nearly every boneheaded fatshaming discussion started by that group. Crazy to see more hate for supersized people on here than Curvage, bizzaro dims.
Oh my god, someone's actually speaking to me and not around me. I don't know how to act right now.

Maybe if we humanized supersize people by actually ASKING them if they feel happy we could spend a lot less time voicing our "opinions" on how happy or healthy they are. Maybe we can comment on our OWN health and happiness and not speculate on someone else's.

I'll start. I have a cold. It sucks. But otherwise I'm pretty happy!

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
Oh my god, someone's actually speaking to me and not around me. I don't know how to act right now.

Maybe if we humanized supersize people by actually ASKING them if they feel happy we could spend a lot less time voicing our "opinions" on how happy or healthy they are. Maybe we can comment on our OWN health and happiness and not speculate on someone else's.

I'll start. I have a cold. It sucks. But otherwise I'm pretty happy!
Hu-man-ize? But it's so much easier to gawk from across the parking lot then run home to start a thread on dims about the deathfats.

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
I'm happy that she's happy.
^^^ This.

I say this next bit simply as a viewer watching a TV program - I do not know Zsalynn or her husband, never met them, and yes, I'm judging, but the next weight to lose is that dick of a husband! Did he not want to be on TV? That I can get, maybe it was an act for the cameras? To not be there when your spouse is having surgery, to be late for picking her up, to go through a drive thru, then ask her to hold the food when you've just picked her up from WLS? Jesus.. and all the other little comments and digs. I hope it was a matter of editing that made him come across as a completely uncaring tool.

It's kind of sad the whole aspect of going through such major life changes in front of a TLC/Discovery film team. I watched the previous season re-run before Zsalynn's show with the woman named Melissa as the cameras were rolling when she was grieving over her miscarriage. Watching that scene just felt so wrong and invasive. This WLS doctor in Houston that seems to be the doctor behind all televised WLS stories (I call him Dr. Death because he never smiles - there's just always this stone expression), he has a practice that does not require a TV contract it would seem. Why go the TLC route? I'll never get it.

Also, I'm still ever so curious about Billy Robbins (the "Half-Ton Teen"!!). His crying, "I want to see my cat!" is something I say whenever we are out-of-town and I am missing my kitties. I really hope he is healthy and happy and has established some healthy boundaries with his mother.

superodalisque

There is also a fair amount of truth in this thread that a lot of people, especially those who play the "fat is always wonderful" card, will never admit to.
i think times have changed a lot. there are always going to be people who tow the old line that has been out there since the 70s and have totlly lost touch with what regular fat folk are doing or want because socially they are only living the fat community life and hiding away from other people out of fear. but i think now a lot of people in the SA community are ready to reach out to absolutely every fat person and even to thin people. hence the gaining popularity (no pun intended ;) ) to the term SA. in order to do that we have to be totally honest and lay it all out on the table even when we do disagree. the suppression is killing the community. it's excluding the majority of fat people who don't have a porn career or a fetish mentality. it's leading to an atmosphere where there isn't even an opportunity to bring our family and friends comfortably in order for them to learn fat politics and how to treat us because our fatness is nearly ALWAYS supposed to be about somebody else's crotch.

the truth will always come out in the end anyway and time will always tell. i agree with you . i think it is better for everyone to have their own real opinions whatever they are. people are sick of half truths and facades. i have to admit though that it's pretty illogical to me to think that that it is nobody's business when the fantasy of it is out here for everybody to see but the responsibility and the reality is somehow a secret? i don't think it's any different from BDSM or anything else. they talk about all of the possibilities and provide safeguards for each other to make sure people can fully enjoy and understand everything before they get involved in long term.

the disneyfication of fat is the main reason the media is attracted to and can exploit the community. the pretense makes us all look out of control illogical and infantile. the denial and enforced group think is one of the things that can lead an inexperienced person who gets caught up down the road to feeling they need WLS. it wouldn't be much of a story if Zsa hadn't been romanced to her size by the mentality some have in the community. if she were still big fat and able to care for herself and her child she would be one less story to document.

you know, one thing i've realized is that when it comes to yourself judgement is not such a bad thing. you can look around. analyze for yourself and make your own choices. but to do that you need to explore as many sides as possible. the more experience in life i have the less i trust people who are always waving their finger and telling me to suspend judgement. it usually means i'm not supposed to examine or question what they are doing or what they are encouraging me to do. it usually means whatever they're saying can't stand up to scrutiny. when it comes to me and my friends i'm going to look at anything that affects our welfare really hard and judge it harder. we're just that important.

superodalisque

I'm happy that she's happy.
me too. that's ALL it's about. we all need to get our happy on instead of waiting for people to approve. no matter what people think about WLS if they truly care about her they will approve just because it's what she wants. but there are always going to be people who want to make it all about them instead of her.

Tracyarts

" it's also disturbing the way that people underplay the effect a lot of weight can have on a person's lifestyle. "

I've experienced this on a personal level. It's not even so much fear of embarassment, or fear of ridicule. It's dealing with the hassle factor of trying to navigate the world in a fat body with mobility limitations.

When I was larger, and wasn't able to go much of anywhere without a wheelchair, it was SO fucking stressful and mentally exhausting trying to manage a successful outing that more often than not I ended up staying home. First of all, not every place I wanted to go was accessible, or realistically accessible (cobblestones, uneven pavement, and bare ground were out of the question). And then of those places that were accessible, there was the issue of an extra-wide bariatric wheelchair not fitting through doors, down aisles, etc... Also, there was the issue of transporting the wheelchair and getting it in and out of the vehicle. My husband could manage it, as could my dad when he was alive. But for a day out with a girl-friend or my mother in law? Wasn't happening.

But what about a motorized chair/scooter and vehicle lift you might ask? Well, you don't just get one handed to you, and the chair/lift combined can cost as much as a used car. We earned too much to qualify for medical assistance benefits, and we didn't earn enough to be able to self-pay. The only medical insurance I could get at the time would not cover it. So I had to buy a used manual wheelchair and make the best of it.

I was able to get out and enjoy life via local outings and daytrips fairly regularly. And I was able to make driving distance overnight travel work for me a couple of times. But the limitations far outweighed being able to reasonably accomdate myself.

Even now that I am smaller and more mobile, I still have limitations and my ability to get out and do what I want is still hampered. Now, instead of the main worry being whether or not my wheelchair will fit somewhere, I have to worry about whether there is a place I can sit and rest when my back hurts too much to keep going. It's tedious. I not only have to do research before going somewhere to make sure there are plenty of benches or other places to sit, but I have to budget for all the time wasted sitting and waiting for my back spasms to stop.

Pain makes it all the harder. The back pain is caused by being on foot, and so far I have not found any way to make it better aside from losing weight. The smaller I get, the more time I can spend on foot before the pain starts. I've tried various medications, including some hardcore meds through pain management, accupressure, accupuncture, massage, chiropractic therapy, physical therapy stretches, building up core muscles, ultrasound therapy, yoga, infrared heat therapy, hydrotherapy, support garments of various types, special anti-inflammatory supplements and diets, along with a handful of more desperate out-there new age and fringe therapies. Many of them make the pain better for a little bit, but it always comes back and always limits me. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars and countless hours with various specialists and therapists looking for an answer. But weight loss is and has been the only real and effective method of lessening the pain and improving my mobility.

I'd love to travel more extensively, but realistically I'll have to lose quite a bit more weight before the hassle no longer outweighs the enjoyment. I won't lie, if I had the money, I'd very seriously look into rolling the WLS dice for a chance at getting smaller faster, and being able to do more of the things I want to do sooner. Time is passing, my time left on this Earth is getting shorter, and some days I really feel the desperation.

Tracy

Still Waters

> Christina's husband looks like every stereotypical a-hole FA I've ever known online or in person. You can almost see the disdain on his face in the picture.

That is really uncalled-for. Judging him because he's a skinny guy with a beard and maybe what his face looks like doesn't have much to do with what he's thinking or feeling.

superodalisque

To be honest with you I really would like to go to events but I haven't heard of any near where I live (I live in the midlands in England). Maybe I am looking in the wrong places? I have always wanted to go to that sort of thing but they seem to happen more frequently in the US. Like I said, maybe I am just being blonde and not looking in the right places online? I admit my experience with larger people is limited compared to a lot of people on these boards. I know what you mean about an athletic body type and lifestyle having a big effect on how your body copes with extra weight. I know I am naturally strong and athletic in build and although I am medically classed as obese I actually feel fitter and healthier now compared to being 60 lbs lighter whilst I have seen other people my size that get winded and what not and struggle with their size. I think that a lot of it depends on the individual really. It is awesome that you managed to walk again after that spinal condition and what the doctors say, you must have a strong body and mind to be able to recover in such a way!

I know that my own experience with, well, I don't mean to be rude but older people is lacking somewhat because I don't have a lot of friends in general and most of them tend to be around my own age. I have noticed that the older people tend to struggle more with weight related conditions but I admit to not being close to many of them so I rely on observation rather than asking them themselves. I am not denying in any way that being bigger can be a strain for a lot of people.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that I am oblivious to the health effects of higher weights? I think that is what you meant, anyway, correct me if I am wrong? Like I said, I have seen people who are older and large who seem to have a level of fitness and endurance on a level with my own and I have seen people of similar age and build who have considerable mobility issues. I was never trying to imply that being extremely large can't or doesn't have health effects in a lot of people, just that sweeping statements like the one another poster made on this board that stated it wasn't possible to be healthy over a certain size isn't correct. The higher the weight the fewer people that will not have weight related issues but it doesn't mean it is impossible to be 500lbs and healthy, just that very few people can be. That was the point I was trying to make. My mother-in-law-to-be is in her 50s and around 500lbs and can barely walk due to a combination of her weight and arthritis and has had multiple heart failures and blood clots on the lungs, which I believe are likely to do with her size and her inactive lifestyle (not that she has much choice with the mobility issues). Certainly I am aware that being at a high weight can cause serious health problems for some people and sadly there is no way to know if as you age you will develop more issues. All I was trying to say before is that it is possible to be of a higher weight and be healthy, not that everybody is or can be.

That is true, I know there isn't much talk of the psychological effects being bigger can have on people, which I have always found kind of odd given the nature of this forum. I know this isn't a great comparison but I have an anxiety disorder and for many years of my life I have struggled with body dysmorphia, viewing myself as extremely large even though for most of my life I have been between 130-150lbs. I know I don't know the physical discomfort of being larger in tight spaces but for many years and even now I fear being judged on my size amongst other things and rarely leave my house. I have experienced real fear of not being able to fit into rides and through spaces or between tables and fear of being judged for my size due to my body dysmorphia, so I have a limited understanding of the anxiety some larger people can experience in every day life. It is one of the things that really irks me, that society causes people to feel such anxiety just for the size of their bodies, but that is another topic altogether! I actually think there is a link between being larger and anxiety problems, probably due to part to the fear of embarrassment or physical difficulties fitting. I just wish there was more I could do to try and alter society to be less cruel and judgemental but as I have gotten older I have come to realise that there will always be jerks out there looking to ruin somebodies day no matter what. :(

Edit: I guess I should also add that I have absolutely no problem with people trying to lose weight and such, for health or psychological/emotional reasons. But I just don't think that people should feel pressured into losing weight because other people think they are too big to be happy or healthy.
i am not saying you are oblivious. it is just that there is no way to really know until you've had more of a chance to see it firsthand. heck i was 420 and 40 yrs old myself and there was a whole lot i did not know until i met a lot of great people in the community. i thank them everyday for what they taught me. there are a lot of awesome people who've been around and don't post anywhere who'll tell you the real truth with documentation about all of the people who are around making claims and trying to influence people.

thank you for the props on my being able to walk but there are soo many people like me or people who have a lot more going on physically than i do and they are still doing it too. i just want you to know that it is NOT the cakewalk people want to make it out to be--especially online.

superodalisque

> Christina's husband looks like every stereotypical a-hole FA I've ever known online or in person. You can almost see the disdain on his face in the picture.

That is really uncalled-for. Judging him because he's a skinny guy with a beard and maybe what his face looks like doesn't have much to do with what he's thinking or feeling.
you know i used to feel like that -- you know, second guessing initial impressions. but then i usually go back and realize that my first impression was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Group builder