7 cultural concepts we dont have in the us

Discussion in 'BBW/FA Board' started by DianaSSBBW, Nov 17, 2015.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 17, 2015 #1

DianaSSBBW

DianaSSBBW

DianaSSBBW

With the Holidays almost here and all the extra stress already upon many of us Big Beautiful Women, I wanted to share an article that I came across.
    I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to travel. My friends, past and present, have been from all over the world. This world is a wonderfully amazing multicultural place with much to appreciate. Love WASI-SABI!! Love the idea of creating my very our Holidays. Don't get me wrong, as a BBW I LOVE Thanksgiving, I just don't enjoy "WHERE" I am expected to go.
    Which Holiday you would rather SKIP?

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/blogs/7-cultural-concepts-we-dont-have-in-the-us

Ho Ho Tai likes this.
  2. Nov 18, 2015 #2

StrugglingWriter

StrugglingWriter

StrugglingWriter

To quibble a bit, in reading this I didn't see much that we don't possess in the States. The last one, for instance. These days online we call them "life hacks."

3. Sep 11, 2016 #3

EMH1701

EMH1701

EMH1701

It may depend on where you live. Minnesota has long been a state where people hunt and fish outdoors, and engage in general outdoor recreation, even during our long, cold winters.

4. Nov 22, 2016 #4

socrates74

socrates74

socrates74

Dims only (Silly rabbit, FB is for girls), Male .
    1."What holiday would you rather skip?"
    I would love to skip the consumerism of Christmas. Come November 1st - it is a non stop assault. I am OK with "reciprocity" and trading. It is how relationships are made smooth. Socitieties have been doing it since antiquity. IMO, women (raised as social creatures) put more into it.

5. Nov 22, 2016 #5

socrates74

socrates74

socrates74

Dims only (Silly rabbit, FB is for girls), Male .
    2. "Wabi-sabi". I read, watch and digest a lot of survival literature - Why some people survive hardship while others perish. Wabi-sabi sounds healthy. That is what I thought of with her wabi-sabi excerpt. American society is said to have a " cult of youth". 12 to 14/year old models are employed to sell skin creams to 30 and 40 year olds. Don't get me started on anorexia topic. :p

6. Nov 24, 2016 #6

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

DM Supporter

I'd skip Labor Day, it just sounds exhausting:rolleyes: Plus it's the end of summer, my favorite time of the year.

7. Apr 27, 2017 #7

Astarte

Astarte

Astarte

Sopivasti lihava

There's this concept in Finnish language and culture that I haven't quite found anywhere else (if you know a word for it in some other language, please do tell!). It is 'Kalsarikännit', and it means getting drunk in your underwear alone in your home.

I understand that all over the world there are people with problems with substance abuse who might do this regularly, but in Finland kalsarikännit is a viable choice for spending a free night and it is so common that we have a word for it. :rolleyes:

Btw, do you have a midsummer holiday around solstice (~23rd of June) in the US?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.