A Movie for our Community?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LJ Rock

I've had this question rolling around in my brain for a while now, and I've been trying to think of the best way to phrase it. What I'm wondering, is let's say a movie were to be made that was BY and FOR this community. However you personally choose to classify it: fat admiration, size acceptance, body positivity, feedism, etc. What sorts of things would YOU like to see (yes, I'm talking to YOU) in a movie such as this? Would it be a romance? A comedy? An action/adventure? What elements from our daily interactions here on Dimensions and other such community hang-outs would you want represented? Feeding? Gaining? Body/belly worship?

I guess what I am really wondering, is if it's possible or not to make a film that would truly satisfy the sensibilities of this community, represent who we really are, that would actually tell a story and make sense as a film - without being completely exploitive, of course. Something beyond just erotic stimulation or fantasy escapism (well, maybe some of that) but moreover something that actually speaks to US and tells the story of US. Not an outsiders perspective looking in and trying to make sense of it all, but rather the insiders point of view, but one that we can all on some level relate to.

Does any of this make sense or am I losing my mind? lol

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I think I get what you mean, though we are such a diverse and sometimes opposing bunch that I think it would be impossible to please everyone. Personally I'd be up for any kind of film featuring people like me that is not treated as a joke, even if it isn't the main focus. But, like, I can absolutely... oh god. Now I'm imagining some sort of fanfic movie script featuring the members of Dims going off on some magical adventure or something, as an adventure comedy, and I don't know if I love or hate that idea, but I did just almost spill my very literal cup of tea. 😂

I've had this question rolling around in my brain for a while now, and I've been trying to think of the best way to phrase it. What I'm wondering, is let's say a movie were to be made that was BY and FOR this community. However you personally choose to classify it: fat admiration, size acceptance, body positivity, feedism, etc. What sorts of things would YOU like to see (yes, I'm talking to YOU) in a movie such as this? Would it be a romance? A comedy? An action/adventure? What elements from our daily interactions here on Dimensions and other such community hang-outs would you want represented? Feeding? Gaining? Body/belly worship?

I guess what I am really wondering, is if it's possible or not to make a film that would truly satisfy the sensibilities of this community, represent who we really are, that would actually tell a story and make sense as a film - without being completely exploitive, of course. Something beyond just erotic stimulation or fantasy escapism (well, maybe some of that) but moreover something that actually speaks to US and tells the story of US. Not an outsiders perspective looking in and trying to make sense of it all, but rather the insiders point of view, but one that we can all on some level relate to.

Does any of this make sense or am I losing my mind? lol

Nice idea @LJ Rock
As far as I can tell, the biggest challenge would be portraying "the community". I think there is something for everyone here, but I don't see the group as homogeneous as you might think. For example, I would not see myself represented in exclusively feeding, gaining or "the bigger the better" topics. It would probably boil down to something with multiple storylines. Loosely connected through the topics of the community.

For me personally, the subject of body acceptance would be one that I find very important. The image in society out there is fat = ugly, which is a shame because I experience that every now and then in my life. On the other hand, I also experience here once in a while that non-fat body shapes (or not fat enough) are viewed in a similarly pejorative way, which I find just as a shame (and also incomprehensible).

If that would make good material for a film though - I don't know.

RVGleason

There are a few stories in the Dimensions Library that have movie potential. To Serve is a good one, and if no one minds me tooting my own horn, my stories Waldo Wyde and Gina & Carlo I wrote with a cinematic eye towards them. It might be fun to check out the stories in the Library and see which ones would work well as a prospective film.

I would definitely enjoy seeing what you mentioned LJ, so, fat admiration, size acceptance and body positivity. But, being as @DazzlingAnna mentioned, the community isn't what I would view as homogenous, so I can't help but wonder if maybe a compilation of short films that tell of fat love/appreciation in its many forms.
Yes/no? :)

Last edited:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I think I get what you mean, though we are such a diverse and sometimes opposing bunch that I think it would be impossible to please everyone. Personally I'd be up for any kind of film featuring people like me that is not treated as a joke, even if it isn't the main focus. But, like, I can absolutely... oh god. Now I'm imagining some sort of fanfic movie script featuring the members of Dims going off on some magical adventure or something, as an adventure comedy, and I don't know if I love or hate that idea, but I did just almost spill my very literal cup of tea. 😂
This summarizes my initial thoughts very well (although my tea was sitting on the table and was at no time in peril)

It would have to play like Spoon River Anthology...lots of different characters that are part of the same "community" but not necessarily overlapping with each other on a regular basis.
This is the first time that I've appreciated any of the things I studied in grade 10 english. It took 37 years, but something in there was finally useful!

I think there would have to be a producer (?) level decision on what to emphasize. I think you could cover quite a bit of the community if you had a pair of BBW friends, with different relationships to the community (like one that loved that she was strongly admired in the FA community and worked at getting that attention, and the other not comfortable with anyone who preferred a fat partner, and they could have different tastes in partners). Or you could even go with with sisters, but somehow when it is within one family I feel like there is an expected narrative of competition and black sheep and whatnot. Although I suppose you could go to more than two ... I'm a bit tickled by the thought of a fat-community take on Pride & Prejudice :D (The George Wickham equivalent must be an unscrupulous feeder)

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
I can't imagine the headache involved in producing such a project. Whose story gets told? How much time does it get? Who is going to get ticked off because they weren't featured? Who is going to get mad because they looked bad? Who is going to complain about the lack of honesty in the story?

The community is so splintered in to cliques, sub groups and tribes that it would be a major pain to try to tell a compelling story that that has any cohesion or narrative. Unless you go with a narrative of "it's complicated " and let the individual stories do their thing.

BigElectricKat

As many have mentioned above, hitting all the beats for the members of this community would be nigh impossible. In my mind, probably a serious romantic film would be good at hitting the median of this community. And that would go well to addressing the issues of size acceptance, body positivity, and being an FA/FFA, along with a serious look at the real life struggles of making a relationship work with one or both protagonist being of a certain size.

If I were to take a stab at writing something like this, I would definitely NOT be putting in jokes about big people (or jokes that would disparage any group for that matter). I find it to be disingenuous and a barrier to furthering size acceptance.

LJ Rock

I think one of the reasons that this question came to mind for me is that there are so many instances where we see glimpses of something in mainstream media that reflects the general spirit of what we do here - yet somehow falls short. We all know that fat gets played up for laughs in a lot of film and tv, and that has gotten pretty damn old.

The film City Island comes to mind. Someone clearly either had an inside knowledge of the online BBW/Feedee world, or did some top-notch research. I feel like it was done tastefully and it was nice to see something that has been a part of my world represented in a film. Granted, it was just a small little side-story, and it wasn't necessarily painting it in the most glamorous or endearing light. But contrast that against something like the film "Feed" or any of the dozens of BBC documentaries done about these subjects, and it was far less exploitive.

I actually love the idea of a story about people who only know each other from online, who somehow are thrown together in real life and have to go on some sort of quest. ;)

I think you could cover quite a bit of the community if you had a pair of BBW friends, with different relationships to the community (like one that loved that she was strongly admired in the FA community and worked at getting that attention, and the other not comfortable with anyone who preferred a fat partner, and they could have different tastes in partners). Or you could even go with with sisters, but somehow when it is within one family I feel like there is an expected narrative of competition and black sheep and whatnot. Although I suppose you could go to more than two ... I'm a bit tickled by the thought of a fat-community take on Pride & Prejudice :D (The George Wickham equivalent must be an unscrupulous feeder)

Yess!! I love all of these ideas. I appreciate so much all of the thoughts and comments that people have added here. I certainly agree with the point that the community is so splintered and non-homogeneous that it would be impossible to make just one film thad had something for everyone. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of bits of story elements that folks might like to see.

There is certainly no shortage of talented and creative writers and story tellers here. I'm trying to learn how to be a better story teller, and I have always been interested in the art of filmmaking. Maybe one day I'll be fortunate enough to produce such a picture.

waldo

I think one of the reasons that this question came to mind for me is that there are so many instances where we see glimpses of something in mainstream media that reflects the general spirit of what we do here - yet somehow falls short. We all know that fat gets played up for laughs in a lot of film and tv, and that has gotten pretty damn old.

The film City Island comes to mind. Someone clearly either had an inside knowledge of the online BBW/Feedee world, or did some top-notch research. I feel like it was done tastefully and it was nice to see something that has been a part of my world represented in a film. Granted, it was just a small little side-story, and it wasn't necessarily painting it in the most glamorous or endearing light. But contrast that against something like the film "Feed" or any of the dozens of BBC documentaries done about these subjects, and it was far less exploitive.

I actually love the idea of a story about people who only know each other from online, who somehow are thrown together in real life and have to go on some sort of quest. ;)

Yess!! I love all of these ideas. I appreciate so much all of the thoughts and comments that people have added here. I certainly agree with the point that the community is so splintered and non-homogeneous that it would be impossible to make just one film thad had something for everyone. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of bits of story elements that folks might like to see.

There is certainly no shortage of talented and creative writers and story tellers here. I'm trying to learn how to be a better story teller, and I have always been interested in the art of filmmaking. Maybe one day I'll be fortunate enough to produce such a picture.

City Island was a wonderful peek into the FA/feeder mindset in a relatively tasteful/non-villifying manner. More of that type would be awesome. I have always thought of our (fat admirers) situation as being so analogous to the homosexual paradigm. So, we need films/TV content that can portray us in a positive light that will enable a greater acceptance by society, as they have achieved. The hurdle continues to be the perceived (and often real) aspect of health downsides of extreme fatness. The 'reality' show with Whitney Thore was a step in the right direction. BUT then there is 'My 600 lb life' which reinforces the idea that super-fat is a situation that is 'dreadful'. I would suggest a story of the young (15-16 year old) male FA discovering his desires, meeting his fat 'soul mate', and navigating peer pressure and issues with parents and others would be very beneficial to the cause. There is a lot that could be done here with the right intent and underlying values of acceptance.

ETA: I realize there is substantial overlap between fat acceptance and LGBTQ+ issues. BUT, if we could get heterosexual fat admirers (male and female both) to be more accepted in general society, the rest is likely to have a great chance to dovetail into that societal 'progress'......

Last edited:

Latest posts