'A ticket for myself and one for my butt'

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1300 Class

Pam Poovey's Stunt Double
-Mum of four called names like "fat pig" on train
-Buys two tickets so she can silence critics
-Wants people to know discrimination's not OK

A SELF-confessed "super obese" commuter has vowed to buy two train tickets to silence her critics who abuse her for taking up multiple seats.
Despite shedding 60kg in the past year Stephanie Payne says she suffers "countless unprovoked weightism attacks".

The 31-year-old mum of four said she had been called names including "fat pig" and "fat slut" at times in front of her children.

"It happens to me all the time and up until this point I've put up with it," Payne told mX.

"When people tease me, it makes me feel isolated, like I don't have the right to catch a train.

"At least if I buy two tickets I can silence people because I can say I've paid my way, I have one for myself and one for my butt; even though I shouldn't have to do that."

The human services worker reached "breaking point" during her commute from her inner city Melbourne workplace last week when she copped taunts from fellow passengers.

"I am fully aware that others will get on the train and two people can sit down in place of my one," Payne said.

"I want people to know it is not OK to discriminate."

Payne who weighs about 180kg and plans to drop almost another 100kg aims to climb a 46-floor building to raise money for the Cancer Council.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/its-not-ok-to-discriminate-stephanie-payne-speaks-out-over-taunts-on-public-transport/story-e6frfkvr-1226090101941#ixzz1RQUpSaSl
Thoughts on this? Is she being positive? Are people just ass-holes, and always going to be ass-holes and there's not much can be done about it?

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I can't say whether people will always be assholes, but my studies in ancient history reveal that they have been assholes for quite a long time. :rolleyes:

BlueBurning

Thoughts on this? Is she being positive? Are people just ass-holes, and always going to be ass-holes and there's not much can be done about it?
I think she is being as positive as one can be given what she has faced. In terms of buying two tickets, I'm still not sure how I feel about the issue of needing to pay for two seats. I do hope she or other riders have reported the individuals who have verbally attacked her and hopefully they have taken some sort of action.

Fat Brian

retarded disfigured clown
On a train there is no reason to have to buy two seats, there has to be some sort of accommodation that can be made. I imagine people of all sorts with various disabilities use the train everyday and they have their needs met.

Fox

What?! Calling a woman a "fat slut" in front of her kids?! That's disgusting! :mad:
And if I were one of those assholes on the bus, I would totally apologize and tell her she does not have to pay for an extra seat. Seriously, with the economy the way it is today, isn't it costly enough to have to raise four children?

wtchmel

WTF!! I cannot even imagine, that is horrible, and makes me want to fruckin' throttle someone, just hearing about it!:mad: I actually, because of my size, seem to be unapproachable. I haven't ever experienced anything like this, maybe it's because i'm tall and fat, i don't know.But if someone was to come up and do this to me, i'd have to, well, kick their fuckin' ass, slit thier throat, whatever it takes. I'm so done with these types of people! sigh..... okay, end of rant.....

Blackhawk2293

Still tired of life
Mate it looks like she's found a way to empower herself and as long as she feels it's a positive step then more power to her.

As for people always being assholes, yeah I don't think that will change. People will always be that way, it doesn't matter whether it's about size, colour, religion, etc. There are always going to be abusive assholes that I (and many others) would like to douse in petrol and set on fire!

JulianDW

What that mother went through was terrible, but I do like this article because it actually recognizes fat discrimination and isn't just another article trying scare the reader by talking about the 'obesity epidemic'. I think that by having an article written about her harrasment, she can empower herself and other fat people by showing readers the daily struggles they go through (especially being insulted in front of her kids). Hopefully by reading this, the assholes making fun of her (and assholes in general) will start seeing her and other fat people as human beings. Also, if a walk up a 46 floor building for the Cancer Council isn't empowering I don't know what is :happy:

Pefird

Somehow... It's not all that shocking that someone is being discriminated against because of their weight... Or at all. :(

Seda

Throbbing member
If people think she should buy two tickets does that also mean ultra slim people get to only pay for half a ticket?

Assholes have always been and always will.

Latest posts