Additional forums for Dimensions?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
At some point, Dimensions just had one forum, then a couple. Now we have many more, and some actually have little to do with Dimensions' main mission. That's probably because we have become a community that people initially find for one reason, then hang out for many others. For example, the Lounge has by far the most posts (over half a million), though it's not size-related.

Are there other forums or sub-forums that we should consider adding? Things of interest that a good number people might have in common or want to discuss?

LovelyLiz

It seems like the Lounge is kind of a catch-all for anything that doesn't automatically fit into one of the other categories. So if we made new sub-forums, it seems like it would make the lounge a little more organized or easy to find things?

I wouldn't mind if there was a separate sub-forum for game threads. But that's since I don't really participate in those at all, so then I could just avoid that forum, and more easily find the threads in the lounge that are more interesting to me.

Pitch

I'd vote for a "Complaints" or "Advice" forum. Not against the site but complaints in general. Lighthearted ones, serious ones, etc, etc. A few forums I have been to have them and sometimes they are actually kind of fun. It's a good place to square away all the moaning if necessary.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
Webmaster,

Could you share any statistical analysis on what the naturally occurring groups in each "Mega" Forum in question have been over the past few years?

Say, starting with the Lounge?

Seda

Throbbing member
I'm with Shosh, parenting and pregnancy please :)

mel

This is My year!..again:)
things that pop into my mind are;

Plus size travel
Just for Fun- (Games)
Music and Movies
Parenting
Advice
In the News
Rants
Raves
Introductions

miafantastic

What a great idea. Thanks for tossing it around.

i think a Movies & Music forum would be cool
maybe a pajama jeans forum?....nah
YES to an A&E-related forum, if separate ones for music♥, film & TV, visual and performing arts, etc. would be too niche-y.

Pregnancy and parenting for supersized women.
Love that idea. I have zero kids and am far from preggers, but I can appreciate how very valuable a forum like that would be to lots of people.

Well ... maybe after a music forum. :D

Plus size travel
Just for Fun- (Games)
Music and Movies
Parenting
Advice
In the News
Rants
Raves
Introductions
Enthusiastically second a travel forum.

Also, a forum addressing stuff specific to big folks of various colors would be useful and, at the very least, eeenteresting to all.

BlueBurning

This might fall into the current main board or the suggested advice board but I would toss out having a board dedicated to activism/ a board dedicated to helping individuals deal with discrimination in society that they face and that others face.

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
The more forums, the more camps. The more camps, the more division. The more division, the more fighting and "us vs. them" issues.

A sub-forum on health for parenting/pregnancy makes some sense to me, as it's a size issue and health/wellness related - and so I think subforums are an answer for things like "games", subforum of the lounge. Activism, subforum of the main board, etc.

Other main, large split offs are where issues seem to arise. I just can't stand to see more of it.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I like the idea of a sub-forum for new members to learn how to navigate. They often come here and open new threads which are barely viewed and leave thinking no one is interested when there are popular Introduction threads which, if more prominent to a newbie would be of more use.

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
The more forums, the more camps. The more camps, the more division. The more division, the more fighting and "us vs. them" issues.

A sub-forum on health for parenting/pregnancy makes some sense to me, as it's a size issue and health/wellness related - and so I think subforums are an answer for things like "games", subforum of the lounge. Activism, subforum of the main board, etc.

Other main, large split offs are where issues seem to arise. I just can't stand to see more of it.
I agree with AnnMarie. The sub-forums mentioned here make sense.

I like the idea of a sub-forum for new members to learn how to navigate. They often come here and open new threads which are barely viewed and leave thinking no one is interested when there are popular Introduction threads which, if more prominent to a newbie would be of more use.
This one too.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
This would be helpful ... otherwise it's sink or swim

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
I'm on board with the Movies & Music, Activism & Discrimination, Travel and New Member ideas. Especially the Activism & Discrimination one! Thanks for asking.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod

I agree with AnnMarie. The sub-forums mentioned here make sense.

This one too.
I can only support the above said.

Instead of more new forums - they are diverse enough as they are - creating subforums that collect special interest topics is the better solution. Otherwise it will not only get divise but also confusing and more difficult to get an easy overview.

Simply from an empirical perspective - looking at the number of threads and posts per forum - it is mainly The Lounge which looks like it could use a bit more detailed structure.

LalaCity

Tech forum.

To encompass questions/conversations about technology, gaming, etc.

olwen

Disco Bear

I'm with AM, no more new forums please, but sub-forums for the health board, the lounge and maybe put activism opportunities in the events section by region.

spiritangel

AmandaClause

Plus size travel
Just for Fun- (Games)
Music and Movies
Parenting
Advice
In the News
Rants
Raves
Introductions

all of these are a great idea and would declutter and make stuff easier to find over all

Latest posts