Afraid of success?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by BigElectricKat, May 23, 2019.

1. May 23, 2019 #1

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent? Staff Member Global Moderator

Has anyone ever experienced a time where you were afraid of success? I'm about 11 pages from the end of a TV pilot script and I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about the next phase (getting it reviewed by a professional) before sending it in to a competition.

2. May 23, 2019 #2

YoJoshua

YoJoshua

YoJoshua

My friend-

If you are a rank beginnner, as it appears from "getting it reviewed by a professional," whatever that means, you will more than likely need to develop a backbone of iron as you experience the opposite of what you are describing. You are up against hundreds of professional writers who do it full-time, for lots and lots of money, and unless you actually live in Los Angeles, are young (under 40, preferably under 30) are networking every night, dressing, acting and speaking like a pro, attending events, being relentless about meeting the right people and you have a script that's a shining example of tight, brilliant, zero-lameness, with zero-cliches, vivid characters, punchy dialogue and a bam-bam ending, they'll look at the first page, if that, and either say nothing or you'll get the first of many, many "Thank you for your submission. Unfortunately it does not fit our present needs."

Everyone has to start somewhere, of course...not trying to be mean, but instead disabusing you of the reality of pro writing whether it's for newspapers, magazines, television, books, and such.

PS Competitions are a waste of time, they take your money, read your work in about 30 seconds so they can get to the next of the thousands of submissions, and it's about the worst way to break into anything. It's amatuer hour, an open mike open to every terrible writer who has a day job they hate, something designed to rake in tons of money for the sponsors of the contest and for everyone to flush their money away and think for a few weeks, "Wow, what if it gets picked and I rocket from obscurity to an Emmy in a year!" :) The one good thing competitions are for is to get you used to deadlines, part of every writer's life at every level.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  3. May 23, 2019 #3

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Of course I am a beginner when it comes to writing screenplays (other things not so much), so it is with great trepidation that I even mention any of this. I'm pretty prepared for the rejection that comes with the territory. I'm well aware of the one-in-a-million shot I may or may not have with such an endeavor.

There are dozens of script consultants out there who've previously been writers and/or producers for various Hollywood production companies. Even if they are far removed from the actual 'biz' in terms of recency, they certainly know more than I, a lowly hack living in the Midwest with absolutely no L.A. experience (unless you count that time I was on The Weakest Link and that sucked). So, I don't mind taking a chance. Especially with someone who has given me plenty of free advice/guidance over the course of many months.

As far as competitions are concerned, I'm of the mindset that I'll be throwing some money down the drain for a bit of actionable feedback that will hopefully help me refine my script into something someone may want to take a look at. And if not, so be it. I don't have a day job that I hate and in the end, I just want to get this idea that's been stuck in my head for so long, out there.

So, in fact, you are right. I'm more afraid of what I assume will be a failure as opposed to success.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  4. May 23, 2019 #4

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

Going back to the original question. It is okay to be afraid of success. Nothing wrong with fear. It is a success if you try.
    Are you afraid of fame or wealth? Do you think that it will change who you are? If so, make a promise to yourself to stay the same person. Hollywood cares about Hollywood. It will chew you up only if you let it.

If your script gets you rich and famous please contact me on where to send the paycheck for the advice!

BigElectricKat likes this.
  5. May 24, 2019 #5

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

BEK. You do you! We all get a little weird feeling as we end a project, it brings up our toughest inner critic. As they say the only shot you are guaranteed to miss are the ones you don’t take.

6. May 24, 2019 #6

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Yep, because if I manage to pull that thing off, then I'll be expected to follow up with more successes. And what if I can't? And success will bring me more attention, open me up to possible scrutiny, maybe even spark some kind of controversy. Definitely a fear for me.

swamptoad and BigElectricKat like this.
  7. May 24, 2019 #7

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

I just wonder; if I am successful with this endeavor, will I have to change my lifestyle? Will I have to move to the West Coast in order to further my efforts? Will I have to give up my current job?

Tracy makes some very real points.

Thanks DragonFly. You always have my back!

I've already got a part for you in mind wrenchboy.

8. May 24, 2019 #8

Still a Skye fan

Still a Skye fan

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated

First, I admire anyone with the determination and means to tackle a project like a TV script and then have it reviewed/entered into a competition. It's a far from easy project so, bravo, sir!

I've mainly written pop culture related articles for small magazines and I always felt uneasy about having them sent out into the world to be read by others. I spent a while researching and writing them. Thankfully, the feedback I had was positive.

Anyway, as others have said the pilot script process is long and laborious. The odds of it getting accepted and actually produced are probably huge but the chance is still out there. Yes, feeling uneasy about a project you worked hard is normal. Regardless of the outcome, be proud of what you created and good luck.

swamptoad and BigElectricKat like this.
  9. May 24, 2019 #9

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

California, here we come!!! :)

10. May 24, 2019 #10

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Are we flyin', drivin', or goin' by train?

11. May 24, 2019 #11

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

Driving!! I've never seen the US

12. May 24, 2019 #12

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

I'll gas up the minivan!

13. May 24, 2019 #13

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

I'll bring the maps

14. May 24, 2019 #14

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Maps? We don't need no stinkin' maps!

swamptoad likes this.
  15. May 24, 2019 #15

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

Tough. I like maps and I'm bringing them anyway. I have to use my highschool geograpy map reading skills to good use sometime. :)

Plus I hate those directional thingies that talk. Nothing a baseball bat can't fix.

Sonic Purity and BigElectricKat like this.
  16. May 24, 2019 #16

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

Tough. I like maps and I'm bringing them anyway. I have to use my highschool geograpy map reading skills to good use sometime. :)

Plus I hate those directional thingies that talk. Nothing a baseball bat can't fix.

17. May 24, 2019 #17

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Well then, maps it is. Hard to argue with a gal who has lovely hands AND a baseball bat.:D

18. May 24, 2019 #18

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

LizzieJones

Yeah and it's a metal one.

19. May 25, 2019 #19

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

BEK,
    I drive a truck and go into LA on a very regular basis. I personally would NEVER live there. With all the congestion, high prices, natural disasters,pollution and homeless people. The area is a mess. Great place for a vacation. And I make a decent living going there but to live there? No thank you. All it takes is one trip for you to decide.

20. Jun 1, 2019 #20

swamptoad

swamptoad

swamptoad

Best of luck, BEK! Mold that confidence.