Airplane seats

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by wrenchboy, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Mar 3, 2019 #1

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

I read a true story yesterday about seats on a airplane.
    According to the story an overweight man was seated at the window seat in a two seat configuration. A lean man was at the aisle seat. The overweight man was big enough that his body encroached the smaller mans seat. The flight was 5 hours long and he did not want to be uncomfortable for that long.
    So he asked the flight attendant if something could be done to remedy the situation.
    The flight was full so the answer was no.
    So the smaller man proposed to the overweight man that he pay him $150 for taking up some of his seat area with his bulk.
    The overweight man readily agreed and both were happy. Well happy enough I guess.

So that brings me to a question. How do you feel about being asked to pay for an extra seat on an airplane?

2. Mar 4, 2019 #2

bigisland

bigisland

bigisland

First Class offers quite generous seats but can often add thousands of dollars to the price
    I find as a bigger person with broad shoulders the aisle seat gives more flexibility
    But yes if there where bigger seats at a fair price premium I would pay extra to be comfortable especially on longer flights.
    Airlines generally have reduced the actual size of the seats to increase capacity, also the seats are set closer together I also find the snack trays will not open without forcing you back in the seat.
    I guess it’s like most places size can be a handicap eg waiting rooms, subways, turn styles access gates and the list goes on
    Paying more is often not an option.
    Some of the original Dims members took on a lot of advocacy work in size acceptance and discrimination for people of size

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    loopytheone likes this.
  3. Mar 4, 2019 #3

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Staff Member Library Mod

Currently, the trend in aviation unfortunately is more of undoing much of the success reached by anti-size-discrimination advocats over the years.

With flight market deregulation, ticket prices in many regions and on many routes have markedly gone down in the past 20 years. Airlines are facing stiff competition - which they try to compensate with adding more seats, increasing the load factor to as close to 100% as possible as well as charging extra for almost everything (Ryanair even tried to introduce extra-charges for using the toilets on board ....)

All of this is detrimental to passengers of size (and height, by the way) - and parallel, court rulings are turning increasingly anti-fat and pro-airline.

Bottom line right now is - if you cannot guarantee that you fit into an airline's seat, you have to book 2 (economy) seats (or check whether business or first class would be accomodating. But one of those tickets is mostly considerably more expensive than 2 economy). Airlines offer different schemes for how to go about this, so it's necessary to check every single one.
    Because if the plane is fully booked and one doesn't fit in one seat then the airline is actually allowed to refuse taking you along without compensation for the purchased ticket.

Is this detrimental to the airlines business? On the contrary!
    Passenger surveys routinely show that 2/3 to 3/4 of all respondents are in favor of discriminating fat people on airplanes. The example you shared, wrenchboy, only confirms this.

So worse times are coming .... :mad:

loopytheone and bigisland like this.
  4. Mar 4, 2019 #4

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Loves a challenge! Staff Member Global Moderator

While I haven't had any problems of this sort when flying, I wouldn't mind paying extra for some more room if I need it. As a norm, I sleep on the plane if the flight is more than 2 hours. When I sleep, I tend to fold my arms and this makes my shoulders take up a little more room. I'm not one to want to touch other passengers or crowd them (as I feel that's rude). If possible, I will purchase a window seat on longer flights so that I may lean against the window when I sleep. The isle seat? Sucks to try and sleep there because flight attendants and other passengers seem to take pleasure in bumping my arm as it sticks out in the isle. So, if I could pay for another seat, I surely would.

bigisland likes this.
  5. Mar 4, 2019 #5

Starling

Starling

Starling

That article made me livid when I read it. I can’t believe an entire airline watched someone get bullied, humiliated, and extorted and did nothing. I never get to sit next to big people on airplanes but I’m sure it’s just fine. There are plenty of average sized people who sprawl, or women with giant purses that spill into your leg room. Is anyone charging them?

It’s also incredibly rude to put the whole onus on the situation on a large passenger and not a cheap airline trying to cram as many people as possible on a plane. I’m a size 2/4 and have yet to find an airplane seat I can fit in comfortably. If an average sized man can’t sit next to a plus size man without pitching a fit, isn’t that more of a reflection on terrible airline policies than anyone’s size?

Emmy, loopytheone and BigElectricKat like this.
  6. Mar 4, 2019 #6

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

This is one of the reasons my ex, a SSBHM, wouldn't come and visit me from where he lived. It's expensive, often humiliating and uncomfortable; for big people you often cant use the trays and so have to got however many hours without eating or drinking. Trying to get out and use bathrooms is an issue too.

I'm 220 lbs and I barely fit in most airplane seats. I'm fat, but I'm hardly huge and yet people give me filthy looks when they have to sit next to me and the trip from the UK to america isn't pleasant at all. Like people have said, a lot of the old Dims members did a lot of work on advocating for size accepting policies but this was been undone in the last decade or so. I don't have anything like the courage and strength to really challenge these things on a meaningful level and I think we really miss some of the older members in regards to that.

Starling likes this.
  7. Mar 4, 2019 #7

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

I have some sympathy for those who don't want to be wedged in next to a large person on a long flight. I'm an FA and love my wife, but after a couple of hours next to her in narrow seats, her hip and thigh pressing against me, restricting what little space I had in the first place, the fatigue of it begins to overcome the thrill. (I'm naturally a wiggler, so having zero space to move is literally tiring for me)

That said, I wish people would have some empathy for what the fat folk are going through in being wedged into seats that even thin folk find uncomfortable. Yes being next to them might make your life a bit tougher, but not nearly as tough as they are experiencing! So get over yourself.

ScreamingChicken and bigisland like this.
  8. Mar 4, 2019 #8

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

One of 50,298

I have not purchased two seats for myself because my issue is more leg room than hip room (damn 6"2" frame). Two seats would be marginally more comfortable but my wallet would protest too much.

With that said, if myself and @WVMountainrear are flying together, it's 3 seats without a second thought and we are flying Southwest. Her comfort is my top priority. She used them last year when she visited me on Texas and enjoyed it, all things considered.

WVMountainrear likes this.
  9. Mar 5, 2019 #9

LouisJoseph57

LouisJoseph57

LouisJoseph57

It is a discrimination between heavyset people and slim people. Heavyset people should not be forced or have to pay extra for taking up two seats. If you don't like sitting next to a heavyset person then get another flight. As for me; I won't mind if I was sitting next to a heavyset person. If it is chilly/cold on the plane you won't have to ask for a blanket to keep warm. This isn't the only area of discrimination; there is discrimination against black-white; short-tall; a people with a credit card and people without a credit car; there are bus companies that discriminate against handicap people who are in wheelchairs or uses walkers to get around in that can't use their buses, because they don't have ramps on their buses; like Greyhound, charter buses, the MTA buses; the ones they out side of the city; like 505 Route from Hagerstown to Frederick/Monagacy in order to get the MARC train either to Washington D.C. or to Baltimore M.D.. That is just one example of the bus routes that the MTA (Maryland Transportation Authority). This is probably not the only one that does it. There are other areas and companies that discriminate in areas of their businesses and things they do. I got other examples I can tell you, but it wouldn't be enough time in this generation or the world to tell you about. Thanks for being patient with me while I typed this text/reply.
    P.S. The bus companies like Greyhound, Charter Buses, MTA Buses, and others I couldn't named; they need to have handicap/walkers friendly ramp buses for tour buses, charter buses and city buses that are being used for the county and as well as for the cities commuters who uses a wheelchair and/or walkers to get around at places.
    My apologies for ranten and raven about discrimination in all areas and walks of life.

10. Mar 6, 2019 #10

Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas

My understanding is that Southwest Airlines has a policy of refunding the cost of a second seat for a "customer of size." Apparently they encourage you to buy the second seat so they can plan for capacity on the plane, but then will refund the cost after the flight. I have never tried this myself, but have tried to "look skinny" when I check in at the gate and hope for the best. There should be a link at the bottom of Southwest's website explaining the policy. And I agree with the previous comment that discrimination is still rampant, and not just against fat people. It's amazing that there are still many L stations in Chicago that are not handicapped accessible. I don't know how they get away with it given that the ADA has been in effect for many years now.

11. Mar 7, 2019 #11

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

12. May 8, 2019 #12

LumpySmile

LumpySmile

LumpySmile

That line made me chuckle for some reason. :)

Jerry Thomas and DragonFly like this.