Alien Bodies

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

superodalisque

before I found out about the fat community nearly 15 yrs ago I spent all of my time submerged in views of average sized bodies. they were absolutely everywhere around me. i was involved in art. absolutely every model i knew was average sized. I was even able to carve a good little niche for myself being a fat nude model because of that. a lot of people my size were just not willing to take their clothes off in front of a class.

when I was a girl in the mid 70's to early 80's people seemed generally very slim, much more so than even now. and you never saw much of female fat bodies because they were always swathed in some tent--literally called tent dresses. I realize now that the only reason slim people seemed normal to me because their bodies were always "available". fat bodies almost seemed alien except that I had one of my own to look at.

now that the community has evolved and there are a lot of other fat people to view online and in real life friendships just the opposite has become true for me. now when I look at thin people I feel they look odd awkward and a bit strange or out of place. I have absolutely no wish whatsoever to look like any of them. it's even weird or comical to me when they think I would. I guess I can get an inkling of how some thin people might feel when they aren't used to seeing us either. have you gotten to the point where when you see thin people now it seems a bit strange to you? does it affect your perspective on how average people view a fat person? what effect has your new perspective had on how you view yourself?

stampy

DimensionsModel
When I clicked on this thread I thought it might be those fake alien autopsy photos or something :p Seeing thin people has always been strange to me, and I always wonder what it would be like to inhabit a body with a flat stomach or that wasn't so hard to carry around in the world, if i wouldn't hurt so much or feel so heavy.

stampy

DimensionsModel
I guess I should clarify by saying that I don't mean strange in a bad way. I just look at my petite sister and think what it would be like to be so small and have a flat stomach and it would just be very strange to me. There is no wrong way to have a body and all bodies are fine. Sorry if i offended any skinny people. I love you all, especially to smother with hugs! My sister doesn't like hugs, so everyone but her, i mean!

Tad

mostly harmless
SuperO: I know what you mean about fat bodies when growing up. I knew I was fascinated by the few fat people I saw, but I really didn't know if it was an attraction, or just being interested because they looked so different than everyone else I knew... there really did use to be very few fat people around.

And not that I'm huge, but I do look at skinny guys and at muscular guys and I really do feel like a different species sometimes. I can't really imagine what it would like to be in those bodies these days.

Lamia

Like OMG!!
When I clicked on this thread I thought it might be those fake alien autopsy photos or something :p Seeing thin people has always been strange to me, and I always wonder what it would be like to inhabit a body with a flat stomach or that wasn't so hard to carry around in the world, if i wouldn't hurt so much or feel so heavy.

It's so weird. I never feel heavy unless I am swimming and get out of the pool.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
you know...this conversation made me think back. you are all right. i don't remember seeing many heavy people around when i was young...except for a couple of the little old ladies who lived on my grandmother's street. young people not so much. i guess it was a combination of the social standard for the time, the fact that they ate better and walked more. i remember my grandmother and her friends all had cars, but still walked to the corner store because the car was only for work and trips.
i don't think most thin people look alien to me. i guess i am used to seeing all shapes and sizes so i don't really think about it. i lost 50 lbs when i was pregs with my older daughter (i had morning sickness for the entire time and could not keep anything down). luckily i was a big girl to start with, so it did not affect my overall health negatively other than getting skinny. when i was down at that size i don't remember really feeling any different or much affect on my overall life vs. when i was bigger.
the only time i do notice any sort of reaction is when i see a girl who is wwaaaayy too thin. like sickly thin. not naturally thin, but like when they have starved themselves to the point where there is no fat left and you can see the bones thin. i find that disturbing.
sitting here now and having thought a bit about it i guess it would take some getting used to if i had a thin body. as i am 5'7 with a very large frame, i doubt i would ever be very small even if i lost a lot of weight, but if i was smaller i don't think it would really matter to me. i guess like all changes, you get used to it as your new norm and just move forward and live your life.

bigmac

... now when I look at thin people I feel they look odd awkward and a bit strange or out of place. ...
Moderate sized people are still the large majority. The so called obesity epidemic is mostly a myth. The average American is only about 20 pounds heavier than he or she was 40 years ago. That's not an insignificant change but its hardly huge.

When I walk down the street thin people are everywhere. When I go to the local coffee place more thin people. At work -- the same. I guess my point is how could thin people look strange and out of place when they're still the substantial majority.

Tracyarts

I live in an area that is statistically very fat.

But I still see people of all shapes and sizes wherever I go. People in general are fatter than they were when I was a kid and teen in the 1970's-80's, and the fat ones seem to be fatter still.

There were fat folk around back in the day, and enough of them to not be anything unusual. But they were on average much smaller. Now they would be considered "a little big" or "small fat". People who stand out as truly fat now are easily 100 pounds heavier than fat people of days gone by.

bayone

what? no mars bars on mars?
Anyone here ever read Daniel Pinkwater? He did a couple of books (Fat Men from Outer Space and Slaves of Spiegel) about a race of aliens who resemble 300-pound men whose fashion sense is stuck in the late 1950s, and who fly around conquering planets and demanding all their hamburgers.:D

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
SuperD
have you gotten to the point where when you see thin people now it seems a bit strange to you?

Stampy
Seeing thin people has always been strange to me... I don't mean strange in a bad way.

Dr Feelgood
As far as I'm concerned, ALL people are strange. But I like them anyway.

bigmac
I guess my point is how could thin people look strange and out of place when they're still the substantial majority?

CleverBomb
People are strange when you're a stranger.

(M2M - Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!)

http://youtu.be/ojilSA1HhAA or
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojilSA1HhAA[/ame]

And not fat related, but interesting . . . If you are as strange as one of the two men (?) below - you are probably gonna get a beating . . . real soon.

View attachment russians-are-weird-1.jpg

superodalisque

yes that is how I feel too Tracy, that there are a lot more fat people around in general. nope I don't think thin people are strange in a bad way just strange as in not feeling so usual to me. i'm sure that most people are average size. but then again I do live in the south and there are a lot of heavy people here too. average people don't even pay much attention to it as they do elsewhere since it is so common and not such a big deal. mainly average size folks react to us pretty much as they would anyone else. if someone prefers thinner or fatter people they pretty much just date them and shut up about it as much as someone would prefer blondes brunette or redheds and date them.

but i'm used to seeing and paying more attention to rounded bodies so that has become usual to me.

Latest posts