American Airlines Wants to Weigh Passengers to Decide Flight Costs

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ESPN Cutie

Missing the South.
Sorry if this is old news.

But, on tonight's O'Reilly Factor (hosted by Laura Ingraham), they did a segment on American Airlines, who is thinking about weighing customers as a way to determine a passenger's airfare. They would weigh the person and their luggage; anything over the pre-determined weight limit would be charged extra. MeMe Roth was on the show and she said that this was a way to combat rising fuel costs and that it costs more fuel to fly airplanes carrying heavier loads. Meme said that when people ship packages, the package is weighed to determine the cost; thus, it makes sense that people should be weighed to determine the cost of their airplane ticket (if I followed her logic correctly). To see the video, a link to the FoxNews website is below (scroll down a bit and it's on the right side, under the title "Unfriendly Skies")

http://www.foxnews.com/oreilly/

Laura said that Meme wouldn't have any problems with this because she's skinny; but hell, who do you know wants to be weighed at the airport infront of a long line of strangers? I'm average-sized and I sure wouldn't!:mad:

UncannyBruceman

This is size discrimination in its purest form and I'm both shocked and appalled that this thread isn't swarmed with responses.

Here's the first and only question that comes to my mind...

WHERE THE FUCK IS NAAFA???????

This proves two things to me. Firstly, NAAFA truly is a dead entity that cares for nothing more than giving themselves plaques and stars to hang on their walls for leading an organization that has really done next to nothing for size acceptance (Mo'Nique has done more for fat girls than anything NAAFA has put thought into).

Secondly, it proves that this site is free dating and nothing else. I merely found out about this 20 minutes ago and I'm blasting my guns already...I'm shocked, insulted, and disgusted to see that I'm more or less the only one (out of HOW MANY people who post here???)

Shosh

Susannah
Isn't it early morning in America right now? Maybe many people are still sleeping and have not had the chance to view this thread and/or are unaware of the discussion of this topic on Fox News. Be fair. Give people a chance to respond when they can here Bruce.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
American Airlines is only "considering" doing this. Perhaps I'm naive, but I seriously doubt this is going to happen. They'll probably lose business if they do this.

mango

Mustachio Nut
American Airlines (AA) would never be able to pull it off.

It would be a legal minefield to subject people to a weight scale and charge them accordingly. It is size discrimination - against large people of all sizes. It would also be a violation of rights to subject people to a scale in public. It reeks of fascist classification. Would they have scales that go over 400 etc? What if its winter time and people wear more clothes and heavy jackets?

What about a really tall person vs a short person. There would be weight difference there, even if they were both skinny. Professional body builders and athletes who carry alot of muscle would also be subjected to paying more.

In an economic climate where airlines are on the verge of going bust due to high fuel costs and increased competition, this would be the last thing a major airline would seriously do.

I doubt I'll be flying American again after they introduced the checked bag charge. Now the fact they are considering this, is the icing on the cake.

If they really had some f'n brains, they'd promote a "no checked bags" discount for passengers who travel light and don't need to check any luggage. That would save weight and promote lighter travel and pass on a saving to the consumer too. I think AA needs a new marketing dept. :rolleyes:

These National Action Against Obesity (or whatever) people are getting desperate. I saw some of these members of the lunatic fringe outside the hotel at the Vegas Bash last year handing out cards saying stuff like "Don't Feed the Fat People" with a logo symbol of a fat person and a red line through it (kinda like ghostbusters or something). I walked outside and had a look at them on the sidewalk handing out their crap. Fat people should be the last thing they should be worried about.

Now, I wanted to set up a buffet table right there and then on the strip in Vegas directly opposite them and conduct some sort of "Free Banquet for Fatties and all that love them" and have lavish gourmet food and everything - but that would be going over the top a little - especially in the summer heat. (heh :D)

This latest stunt of theirs is exactly that.. just another cockeyed scheme to target those bad fatties as part of their agenda. They represent people who are afraid of getting fat - part of Sigmund Freud's "Shadow Theory" where what they fear most in themselves is projected out onto others. I think Hitler suffered a similar complex. That Meme Roth girl (president/founder of the group) says she has obesity in her family - which I find very hard to believe. I doubt she's related to or even knows (or bothers to know) any really large people. But I guess that depends on what she defines as obese.

And those two stuck-up peroxide blondes on Fox News can look forward to years of living in fear of the big F.A.T. 'coz I have a revelation for them. Someone needs to tell them and their compatriots that they are losing "the war"....

I see fat people taking over across the board... gaining in numbers... and in size. Cramming trains and buses. Planes shaking more violently in turbulence under heavy duress. All the food eaten. Less park bench space for bums. Increased demand on underwear fabric due to larger sizes. More displaced ocean water due to more fatties swimming at beaches causing sea levels to rise (and then fall lower when they get out). Increased frequency and volatility of earthquakes... And finally.. the earth's mass will grow and attract more planet harming asteroids due to its greater gravitational pull. All because of fat people.

This is the nightmarish armageddon or major fatastrophe (fudgement day? heh) that they all fear.

Let's make it happen.

:cool:

Russell Williams

"This proves two things to me. Firstly, NAAFA truly is a dead entity that cares for nothing more than giving themselves plaques and stars to hang on their walls for leading an organization that has really done next to nothing for size acceptance (Mo'Nique has done more for fat girls than anything NAAFA has put thought into)."

For somewhere between eight and 10 years I was co-chairperson of the national activism committee of NAAFA. During that time I and my co-chairperson accomplished many things for fat people.

People on this board have complained about and ridiculed some of my daily activism activities and talked about how they would rather quietly and in a dignified manner suffer discrimination if the alternative was to call attention to themselves as they fought discrimination.

I suspect many of these people will be explaining how it be far better to pay more to ride on the airplane that would be to call attention to themselves by trying to fight for equality of opportunity.

By the way, the local school system has 22,000 students. The local school system, because of my work, for the last 25 years has had "size" as one of the categories that cannot be discriminated against. What is your evidence that in the last 25 years that has done nothing for the fat girls in this particular school system?

Yours truly,

Russell Williams

jakub

Visitor
LOL - they (AA) wants (no offense) to be first choice for midgets and small thin Chinese people.

pani

I can't stand to fly anymore with all the crowds, and hassles and delays so this is not something I personally will get worked up about. But as other posters have pointed out, it is a really dumb idea. Most women hate to be weighed. Some corporations who use small planes to taxi VIPs used to ask passengers for their weights had to stop doing it over protests. And that was just for safety concerns as they didn't want to overbook the little planes.

Some other companies won't do that and clean their clocks.

Maybe this will be the catalyst that finally ticks ticks the public off and sets the off their butts to start fighting back. I am a educator. I get one flat rate per class. If some students take up more of my time, or are more challenging, it is all part of my job. Can you imagine if this were applied to everything.

lypeaches

OK...here comes the cynic in me. Could this possibly be some sort of wierd publicity stunt to garner gratitude to the airlines?

As in....
Pretty much everyone is hating on the airlines these days. So...they float a story that is patently ridiculous...and then when they DON'T do it (complete with press release saying that they don't want to embarass their customers) , at least a portion of the flying public is actually relieved that all they have to do is pay yet another fuel surcharge, without threat of a public weigh - in. And voila...making people feel good about paying more money!

Or is it just me?

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation

I doubt I'll be flying American again after they introduced the checked bag charge. Now the fact they are considering this, is the icing on the cake.

Pretty much every airline out there is going to be charging for checked baggage. If not for all bags at least for anything after the first bag. The cost of fuel is causing these fees to come about and until that gets under control we can expect to be charged for whatever they can possibly charge us for...

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Agree with all the posts here, its horrific. I note that it said they will charge extra for people over a certain weight... So by the same token, they should then have to refund some fare to people under a certain weight, since they are taking up less than their allotted fare "weight". But will that happen? Let me take a wild guess at ... NO. I imagine one could fight that if they are travelling with two children who pay full fare, that they are "underweight" therefore balancing out the heavy person's weight. It's all just ridiculous and another way to get more money out of people.

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation
Agree with all the posts here, its horrific. I note that it said they will charge extra for people over a certain weight... So by the same token, they should then have to refund some fare to people under a certain weight, since they are taking up less than their allotted fare "weight". But will that happen? Let me take a wild guess at ... NO. I imagine one could fight that if they are travelling with two children who pay full fare, that they are "underweight" therefore balancing out the heavy person's weight. It's all just ridiculous and another way to get more money out of people.
That's really true though Ruby. Its called weight and balance. I know for my particular airline the average weight of a passenger is figured at 200 lbs and the average weight for a child is 100 lbs. Bags are figured at an average weight of 30 lbs. Some adults and children are above the average weight and some are below. Same thing with the bags. In the end it all balances out...

Raqui

The humilation lawsuits would be abundant. Imagine fat and skinny alike in line to get weighed. The humilation for some people of size as well as smaller counterparts would be quite evident. You would at the very least have to have a seperate room in which people would be weighted. What about those that cannot walk. Like the elderly? Would you lift them out of the wheel chairs and sit them on a scale. You would also have to have bi-lingual, tri-lingual people etc. To work these positions because we have a many cultures who fly.

You cannot take the time to weigh each person indiviually and then charge them at the time of arrival for there seat. Does that mean that they would also seat big people next to skinny people? Because if your weight means you only take up half a seat and payed less, then my right as a fat person is to take up the other half since I am literally paying by the pound.

This sounds like bullshit to me and I dont think i will fly AA after hearing about this.

BothGunsBlazing

Back...ish
Yeah, no, that is ridiculous. Beyond the whole discrimination thing against fat people and what not I really don't think most people, especially women will want to be subjected to this shit. The paranoia about fat in this country is already intense and something like this would be crippling for some. Completely absurd and insulting and while I do dislike the policy of making larger people pay for two seats, I do understand why .. but this? RIDICULOUS.

Tina

Older and wiser now
I never used AA anyway, but if this catches on it will be horrible. How many fat people who were fat children remember being lined up and weighed in front of other students? Traumatic. Nope, not gonna do it.

mergirl

hmm..yeah..and maby you could take skinny people on flights as hand luggage! lol
but seriously, i'm surprised there hasnt been a bigger stink kicked up about this very issue..
Surely companies should be treating custumers as individuals and catering to thier needs.
I was watching some crappy reality show called "airport" or something like that..and a big guy was checking in...and the attendant with a worried look said some numbers into the tanoy..and then took her co-worker aside and said something allong the lines of "oh oh we have a P.O.S emergancy"!!
I think the poor guy actually did have to pay for two seats, which they made him feel "grateful" for because if the plane was full he would have had to wait for an extra flight.
I think it should be automatic that when you are booking a flight they should ask if you need anything specific, like an extra seat.
Which should of course be free! Its a shame when "the corporation" as ever seeks out money instead of making people feel like valued and respected custumers..
baws to them!

xmer

Raqui

I know when i took the amtrack train they gave me a special price and seating arrangement. I paid for only 1 and 1/4 extra for two seats and they made sure to seat me right near a bathroom so I wouldnt have to walk through car after car.

Tina

Older and wiser now
I hear you, Raqui. The airlines are just too full of themselves and their own importance. We are not, after all, inanimate parcels to ship from here to there, even though that is obviously how they see us. Cattle. Fat cattle.

Latest posts