An important take on the many obesity myths

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

AmyJo1976

DM Supporter
This article is so true. I've done it all at some point. Dieting, intense training, but I feel my best when I just listen to my body and stay active. Nothing intense, just walks and such. My doctors visits say the same. I've gotten the best report when I'm most active for a time and the worst one if I've been lazy for a long period of time. No change in my diet. I'm pretty consistent at eating my greens and fruits though. As for now I have a good bill of health. I hope it stays that way! :)

ampleampleample

I was about to post this article and you beat me to it. Just as America, and the world for that matter, missed out on so much by limiting the role African Americans and Women could play in our society, it seems we've done the same with the larger members of our society. Though not institutionalized, very real just the same.

Last edited:

abzu

This article is so true. I've done it all at some point. Dieting, intense training, but I feel my best when I just listen to my body and stay active. Nothing intense, just walks and such. My doctors visits say the same. I've gotten the best report when I'm most active for a time and the worst one if I've been lazy for a long period of time. No change in my diet. I'm pretty consistent at eating my greens and fruits though. As for now I have a good bill of health. I hope it stays that way! :)
Agreed. I've had strangers approach me unsolicited (Always a treat) and ask me what the secret is to either losing weight, or otherwise improving health. They are never satisfied when I state, quite sincerely, that losing weight in all but the most unusual circumstances is a matter of reducing caloric intake, most efficiently accomplished by avoiding as much processed food as possible, and engaging in moderate, but consistent exercise. Most of them yearn for me to tell them of how I lost over 100 pounds by eating nothing but humming birds' eggs and applying an obscure yoga technique I learned from a 98 year old Hindu who'd been living in a cave for the last 50 years.

The same people are often horrified when they discover that I have no plans to ever assume their ideal body type. They nearly lose consciousness if I mention that I can pretty much eat as much as I want of unprocessed food without negative consequences. It often bothers them to think of me eating at all. Prior to my establishing the sort of reputation that I might very well strangle one of them if they didn't leave me alone, I'd frequently look up from a meal in public to some righteous soul aghast, or preparing an imminent lecture.

Unlike some of my more genetically gifted fat peers, I do suffer from serious health problems. Contrary to popular belief, however, and the belief of most physicians, they are congenital, and stem largely from the fact that I was born very late in life to middle aged parents. If you couple this fact with the severe abuse I've experienced for most of my adult life, the end result is my present health. Though I'd still suffer from serious conditions, I'd be leagues healthier than I am if I'd simply been afforded all the rights, privileges and social graces normally associated with such creatures in western society from the beginning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Group builder