Anxiety/Panic Attack Consolation Thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Fairia

Blimpgirl = superheroine
Yelling at the anxiety? Hmm :bow: Something very unorthodox and yet, yelling I've never done as much. Makes me wonder *ponders*. Just hope my anxiety or panics don't try to one up me; like "anything you can do, I can do better".

lypeaches

Yeah, I know, it's sounds weird, and it feels weird to do it...but, hey it's free and easy, so give it a whirl! I read some guys blog where he gave that advice, and damned if it didn't work, at least to some degree. It's sort of a head trip...like the anxiety plays on all your fears, as in, "what if this time it's a heart attack", or something like that, and if you try to force yourself to really feel it, and try to make it worse, it doesn't get worse, and then you feel some control over it, thereby giving you relief from the attack.

Don't think I explained that too well, but hopefully you get the idea.

I feel for you. Panic attacks suck.

Fairia

Blimpgirl = superheroine
I actually did get to try it. I wasn't yelling at it per say, but I was just talking back to it, just catching someone's bluff to see if they're as big and tough as they think they are. Eventually, it did shorten the panic.

lypeaches

Hey cool! Sometimes you're not in a place where you can yell :).

A friend of mine told me his trick yesterday, which is to visualize and focus on calming words....like "peace", "calm", "content", "love" ...or whatever. Picture them in whatever font you like! Picture your hand writing them out picture them in different colors...whatever.

I think it's a good thing to do along with deep breathing.

GenericGeek

Wearin' my angry eyes
Thank heavens for my Naturopath/acupuncturist...

I've only had about 4 panic attacks, but that's 4 too many, as far as I'm concerned! :eek:

My last attack was about 4 years ago. Chanting "OM MANI PADME HUM" & other mantras helped me somewhat. I think any form of prayer is good to try under any extreme circumstances!

Falling Boy

Winter is coming..
Be VERY careful with Depakote and Lamictal, as you say. In fact, I'm wondering if you can't taper off one (especially since you have stomach issues. Are you taking the extended release, by the way? it can help with side effects) because I think it's a bad mix, and may not be worth it. I also think a high incidence of side effects contributes to non-compliance with meds (always a big problem with pysch disorders) and since you already have non-compliance issues, I'd remove anything you can from your drug cocktail to limit the chances you'll stop cold. And never stop Lamictal cold.
I got off of the depakote completely because like you say I think its too dangerous and not worth the risk. I am still on the Lamictal but it really doesn't seem to be doing anything. Not really sure what the next course of action will be, but whatever it is I pray that if finally works.

mergirl

hey fairia..

its so sad that you are having such a horrible time with anxiety and panic attacks.
For pretty much as long as i can remember i have suffered a plethora of mental health issues including ocd's, severe depression, phobias and dibilitating panick attacks which got so bad that i became agoraphobic ..and was pretty much house bound for the majority of my twenties..

i have managed to work through a lot of these issues and my quality of life has been much improved, though i still suffer from anxiety a lot and i wanted to share some things that have helped me.

firstly i would stress (hmm mental health pun) that it is really important to try to eliminate really stressfull things that are happening in your life. I know its not always possible to have a completely stress free life but you seem to be really unhappy with your living situation. You should get ALL the help that is out there for you that you possibly can, i didnt catch where you were from so i'm not sure of the help that is available to you.. but this might include things like finding a mental health keyworker that can put you in touch with charities or organisations that specifically help you find housing and care that is appropriate to your needs.
you have taken a brave step talking about this on a forum and there are also plenty of mental health forums and chat rooms where you will find people who are going through the same sort of experiences as yourself.. sometimes just knowing your not alone can take some of the lonelyness and fear away that comes with going through the things you have.

i also think its important to look from a psychoanalytical viewpoint the things in your past that you think have contributed to your anxiety disorder in particular. I don't know if you feel up to that yet but it can be a great help to talk to a a psychologist about your past and more specifically a c.b.t (cognative behavioural therapist) as they can give you tequniques to reprogram your brain to help you respond differently to the panic response.

With me it was a bit of a catch 22 situation because its almost impossible to get a c.b.t to come to your house.. and for agoraphobics to get well they have to leave thier house but cant leave thier house in order to get well..
anyway..i am much better than i was a year or so ago and these are some of the things that i found helped me a lot.

i think medication, although not always a long term solution can give you the space and time to find ways of coping while taking the edge off the symptoms of anxiety.
i was on various medications for years including (and i dont know what the U.S equivalents are) dothieapin, chlorpromazine and diaxipam.
i decided about 2 years ago to come off dothiepin and chlorpromazine (antidepressant/anti anxiety) because i felt utterly zombified and not myself.. i think i made some bad life decisions and stayed in bad relationships etc etc because i was so clouded ..plus i spent about 2 years on my couch.. and although i love spending time on my couch i felt i was also missing out on so much..which triggered an anxiety, depression cycle.. anyway i reacted badly comming off those meds and it actually made my anxiety worse for a while. I think you really need to be careful when being prescribed meds because they arnt always going to be the best for you..(i wont even start on the greed of pharmacutical companies).
At the moment i take diazipam which work on the actual panic receptors in the brain (as opposed to betablockers such as propanalol which reduce the physical panic responses..ie increased heart rate..i didnt like these but its a personal thing). I try to take them only when i feel a really bad attack comming on.. the big scary ones with the numb limbs, shaking, feeling sick and faint, feeling completely unrealistic etc.. and when there is something i really want to do ..like travelling to see my friends etc.
The thing about diazipam is that your body gets used to it and if you take it everyday eventually you will have to take more and more to achieve the same effect..

i have found a couple of books that are amazing and have really helped me which i think you would find really useful..
the first is "In stillness conquer fear" by pauline mckinnon. It is a book about overcomming anxiety, panic and agoraphobia and talks about thought processes and stillness tequniques.. without the effort of meditation (i cant sit still for a moment so meditation is really difficult for me).

The second book is "overcomming panic;a self help guide using cognative behavioral techniques" its written by derrick silove and vijaya manicavasagar.
This is an easy to follow book outlining simple c.b.t techniques (lol..as it said in the title) ..its more sciency than the first but still amazing..

I think its also really important to try to do as many things that you enjoy that you feel you can do..even if this means tweeking them a bit to fit your needs because anxiety and mental heath problems are so debilitating that sometimes it can feel really frustrating and depressing because you can feel like life (or the one you imagined for yourself) is passing you by which makes all the anxieties, social stigams and feelings of uselessness a lot worse which in turn becomes another cycle of panic and depression.
Like for me, before my illness became too debilitating i played guitar/sang in a band and used to tour, make singles, play lots of gigs and do fun and interesting things that went with that..it made me feel really sad that i felt unable to do that so now i make music from home and also jam with friends sometimes when i feel up to it.. PLUS if you enjoy music or art its a really cathartic way of getting emotions out. I also tried a few times to go to college but my anxiety always stopped me from finishing courses.. so now i am studying a psychology degree from home..which is much more relaxed and within my comfort zone...

once you have all the possible tools at your disposal it can feel less overwhelming to try to tackle your panick attacks and anxieties..
just remember you are not alone.. and i promise you, you can get better.. even though i know that sometimes that seems like its impossible..
through proper medication, finding the right help and support networks and reading as much as you can things can slowly get better for you..
take your time and give yourself lots of love and care..
and if you ever want a wee chat with a fellow freaker outer then pm me.. it would be great to hear from you..
best of luck xxxxlisa aka mergirl

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I'm not sure what specifically brought it on, but in the last few weeks i've been experiencing a lot of anxiety. It's brought on irregular heart beats, palpitations and feelings of lightheartedness. I'm taking steps to work on it (with my Drs etc) but i'm also curious if anyone else is suffering from it and what they do to manage it.

Thanks.

Bafta1

Hello Fairia!

I was really sorry to read about what you're going through. The physical symptoms you describe are absolutely normal vis-a-vis anxiety. I don't know if you're in your early 20s, but typically it's during that few years that anxiety can strike. The good news is that it WILL get better. There are things you can do to alleviate it. If you smoke marijuana, STOP NOW! Evidence suggests that drugs exacerbate emotional and psychological disorders.

There are some great SSRI drugs which address anxiety as well as depression. The two are linked.

The other thing you might want to think about it therapy. If your anxiety is linked to a trauma or a traumatic memory, talking about it will be a way of externalizing and dealing with it.

You might want to look for a pass-time that gives you control over something. Anxiety is generally linked to a feeling of losing control. A martial art or yoga may give you back some feeling of command over your life.

Don't forget though, it WILL pass. I know, because I suffered from anxiety for quite some time.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Hello Fairia!

I was really sorry to read about what you're going through. The physical symptoms you describe are absolutely normal vis-a-vis anxiety. I don't know if you're in your early 20s, but typically it's during that few years that anxiety can strike. The good news is that it WILL get better. There are things you can do to alleviate it. If you smoke marijuana, STOP NOW! Evidence suggests that drugs exacerbate emotional and psychological disorders.

There are some great SSRI drugs which address anxiety as well as depression. The two are linked.

The other thing you might want to think about it therapy. If your anxiety is linked to a trauma or a traumatic memory, talking about it will be a way of externalizing and dealing with it.

You might want to look for a pass-time that gives you control over something. Anxiety is generally linked to a feeling of losing control. A martial art or yoga may give you back some feeling of command over your life.

Don't forget though, it WILL pass. I know, because I suffered from anxiety for quite some time.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Thanks for posting. However, Fairia's post was from 2008, I decided to revive this thread today to see if anyone else has an opinion. 2011! Haha.

Bafta1

Thanks for posting. However, Fairia's post was from 2008, I decided to revive this thread today to see if anyone else has an opinion. 2011! Haha.
:doh: d'oh!!!

Well, here's hoping for an anxiousless 2011! Happy new year!!

Miss Vickie

I'm not sure what specifically brought it on, but in the last few weeks i've been experiencing a lot of anxiety. It's brought on irregular heart beats, palpitations and feelings of lightheartedness. I'm taking steps to work on it (with my Drs etc) but i'm also curious if anyone else is suffering from it and what they do to manage it.

Thanks.
I started having some pretty significant anxiety in October, right before my brother died. It was tough, and my doc ended up giving me Xanax, which I'd never taken before. It's helped tremendously. I only take it at bedtime but instead of waking up every hour or two with my mind racing and palpitations, I now sleep pretty well and wake up rested. On those occasions when I have anxiety during the day, I just talk myself through it, addressing the fearful comments I "hear" myself making and reassuring myself. It seems to help, and it's something my daughter does as well and it seems to be helping her.

Know what's funny? At work I can be faced with floppy, blue, non-breathing newborn who need resuscitation and be totally calm and know just what to do (the shaky knees come later). But the idea of turning in an assignment or a quiz for school? Completely freaks me out. Go figure. :rolleyes: I'll put it off, getting more and more anxious, until I'm forced to do it. Ugh.

I'm glad you saw your doctor because sometimes there are physical reasons for those symptoms, and it's important to suss out what's going on physically and not assume it's a panic attack. I hope you're feeling better and that 2011 is a great year for you!

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I started having some pretty significant anxiety in October, right before my brother died. It was tough, and my doc ended up giving me Xanax, which I'd never taken before. It's helped tremendously. I only take it at bedtime but instead of waking up every hour or two with my mind racing and palpitations, I now sleep pretty well and wake up rested. On those occasions when I have anxiety during the day, I just talk myself through it, addressing the fearful comments I "hear" myself making and reassuring myself. It seems to help, and it's something my daughter does as well and it seems to be helping her.

Know what's funny? At work I can be faced with floppy, blue, non-breathing newborn who need resuscitation and be totally calm and know just what to do (the shaky knees come later). But the idea of turning in an assignment or a quiz for school? Completely freaks me out. Go figure. :rolleyes: I'll put it off, getting more and more anxious, until I'm forced to do it. Ugh.

I'm glad you saw your doctor because sometimes there are physical reasons for those symptoms, and it's important to suss out what's going on physically and not assume it's a panic attack. I hope you're feeling better and that 2011 is a great year for you!

It's such a shitty thing to go through, eh? I feel much better today thankfully. I decided to take yesterday off and give myself a break from the chaos and it seems to have helped a lot.

I hope that 2011 is a great year for you as well! :)

Emma

Hey I know how you feel. I suffer from constant anxiety and panic attacks these days. I've not found anything to help it go away but have heard CBT can have good results.

Latest posts