Any baseball fans here?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

waldo

It's Wade Boggs' birthday, so let's watch his excellent 3000th hit moment as we celebrate a fine baseball tradition of fans running on the field and getting tackled by security.

Boggs was a throwback to the classic era. This is the guy who supposedly drank over 100 cans of beer in a single cross-country flight. The number seems ridiculous, but it is his claim to have done so that stands out (true or not).
Other 3000 hit club members who homered for their 3000th: A-Roid (boooooo) and Jeter.

Any Orioles fans here that may have some more insight into this? I know in sports "anything can happen", but this seems totally unlikely that the O's would leave Baltimore.

View attachment 150207 View attachment 150208

Huh. As an outsider looking in, that seems like kind of an odd announcement. What I want to know is what caused them to put out an official statement like that? Have there been grumblings of potential relocation from MLB? I would tend to think teams like Tampa or Oakland would be relocated before Baltimore. Going on 30 years or not, at least Baltimore still has one of the better stadiums in the game.

Sadly, as technologically advanced as it was when it opened up, the Jays are stuck in a cold, sterile, concrete and steel fish bowl of industrial design that was all the rage back in the late 80s and early 90s (the Skydome opened mid-season in 1989). Jays' ownership has also committed $250 million toward upgrades and renovations starting at the end of this season, and to be completed by the beginning of the 2024 season. But we all know how that goes. 🙄 Regardless, it looks like the Jays will be stuck in their concrete fish bowl (or is it a bird bath???) for another 15-20 years at least. *sighs* Anyway, I'm spiralling, so I digress...

As for the potential of relocating clubs, I would think the Tampa Rays are at the top of the list. Despite being one of the best teams in baseball for the last 15 years or so, their home attendance is atrocious, and has been for years. The fans there just don't seem to care, unless they're in the playoffs, and even then there have been playoff games that weren't sold out.

It's been rumoured that the Rays would eventually wind up in Montréal. If a team gets relocated it's going to go to Montréal, and you can bet your money on that. You heard it here first. Montréal fans are hungry for another baseball team and they want their Expos back. They also have potential owners who are willing to build a new stadium for a new team, so Montréal will be at the top of the list.

Also, not including during the pandemic, Montréal has hosted the last few games of the Jays' sping training schedule each year at the old Olympic stadium in Montréal as an exhibition series for the fans there. Additionally, for the 2020 season before the pandemic hit and the season was shortened with attendance restrictions put in place, MLB had agreed to have Montréal host the last 4 months of Tampa's home games that year. It just seems like MLB has been making not-so-subtle hints and steps over the last several years toward potentially moving the Rays to Montréal. I'd feel bad for the true fans in Tampa if they do lose their team, but I know all of Canada would welcome their team with open arms, and if it does happen, Montréal will be getting one HELL of an organization and should be a winning team as soon as they hit the ground running.

The only question is - again, if it happens - will the future Expos remain an AL team or become an NL team as they were from 1969-2004?

waldo

Huh. As an outsider looking in, that seems like kind of an odd announcement. What I want to know is what caused them to put out an official statement like that? Have there been grumblings of potential relocation from MLB? I would tend to think teams like Tampa or Oakland would be relocated before Baltimore. Going on 30 years or not, at least Baltimore still has one of the better stadiums in the game.

Sadly, as technologically advanced as it was when it opened up, the Jays are stuck in a cold, sterile, concrete and steel fish bowl of industrial design that was all the rage back in the late 80s and early 90s (the Skydome opened mid-season in 1989). Jays' ownership has also committed $250 million toward upgrades and renovations starting at the end of this season, and to be completed by the beginning of the 2024 season. But we all know how that goes. 🙄 Regardless, it looks like the Jays will be stuck in their concrete fish bowl (or is it a bird bath???) for another 15-20 years at least. *sighs* Anyway, I'm spiralling, so I digress...

As for the potential of relocating clubs, I would think the Tampa Rays are at the top of the list. Despite being one of the best teams in baseball for the last 15 years or so, their home attendance is atrocious, and has been for years. The fans there just don't seem to care, unless they're in the playoffs, and even then there have been playoff games that weren't sold out.

It's been rumoured that the Rays would eventually wind up in Montréal. If a team gets relocated it's going to go to Montréal, and you can bet your money on that. You heard it here first. Montréal fans are hungry for another baseball team and they want their Expos back. They also have potential owners who are willing to build a new stadium for a new team, so Montréal will be at the top of the list.

Also, not including during the pandemic, Montréal has hosted the last few games of the Jays' sping training schedule each year at the old Olympic stadium in Montréal as an exhibition series for the fans there. Additionally, for the 2020 season before the pandemic hit and the season was shortened with attendance restrictions put in place, MLB had agreed to have Montréal host the last 4 months of Tampa's home games that year. It just seems like MLB has been making not-so-subtle hints and steps over the last several years toward potentially moving the Rays to Montréal. I'd feel bad for the true fans in Tampa if they do lose their team, but I know all of Canada would welcome their team with open arms, and if it does happen, Montréal will be getting one HELL of an organization and should be a winning team as soon as they hit the ground running.

The only question is - again, if it happens - will the future Expos remain an AL team or become an NL team as they were from 1969-2004?

Nashville is a booming city with a group similar to the one in Montreal working to get a MLB team there. Right now it would seem between them and Montreal as the leading possibilities. If the Rays were to move to Montreal and remain in the AL East, it would make sense geographically and it would also give a great intra-division rivalry with the Jays, just like that between the Yankees and Red Sox.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
45 years ago today. I think Billy Martin should get considered for the Hall of Fame. He may have run starting pitchers into the ground, but he got teams winning.

Non-stop drama though.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Washington has lost 8 in a row, and have now registered a blip on my Futility Meter.

This pleases me. As an Expos fan, I refused to transfer my loyalty to the Nats. I begrudgingly accept that they won a title, but it did nothing for me.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Here's a detailed explanation of the Brewers City Connect jersey.

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Is Pablo Sandoval still playing baseball? Yes.
How is it going? Well...

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
The Red Sox are waking up, and are now a half game up on the Jays.
20220626_102018.jpg

svenm2112

I am a ugly man
The first spring games are only three days away!!! I've been missing watching my hapless Orioles lose :p

Anyone else here excited for the new season?
I used to be. Till they went on strike in 1981. And then I found the World Rally Championship. Sports car racing. Hockey basketball football and professional wrestling

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Is 2022 the year of the Big Guy Renaissance in baseball?

Latest posts