Any Other BHM's trying to lose weight?

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by michiganbhm, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Nov 20, 2013 #241

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

Science for Smart People is a good place to start. Yes, he is a comedian, not a scientist, but it is true and entertaining.

2. Nov 22, 2013 #242

warwagon86

warwagon86

warwagon86

All Over The World

I have been on a health kick as of late! Much like Hoozay I am eating keto and drinking tons of water except I am aiming for 8-10 litres a day!

I take the dog a 3.5 mile walk EVERYDAY without fail! And sometimes a second one where I jog and walk in intervals!

Lost 42lbs in just over a month so far!

Geodetic_Effect likes this.
  3. Dec 8, 2013 #243

michiganbhm

michiganbhm

michiganbhm

Down to 296.6 from 310 :)

4. Dec 13, 2013 #244

Ninja Glutton

Ninja Glutton

Ninja Glutton

Film and Music Geek

I can speak to the effectiveness and healthiness of keto from a type 2 diabetic perspective as well.

I went full-on keto for a few months over the summer and, since I have regular blood testing as per my endocrinologist's wishes, I was able to directly see the results.

Within 2 months of the diet, I had dropped 47 lbs and my blood sugars were in the normal 70-110 range at all times of the day. My triglycerides plummeted 200 points, my a1c was a 6.0 and my cholesterol was LOWER. I couldn't believe it. I had been eating butter, eggs, meat, cheese, olive oil, small amounts of nuts, coconut oil, avocados, etc. High fat, medium protein, little to no carbs.

Trust me, it gets easy after about a week. I never had a "keto flu" because I drank enough water. It's so strange to have such consistent energy and blood sugar, especially for a diabetic. I was so used to the peaks and valleys of blood sugar spikes and that post-lunch comatose state. It doesn't happen with keto. It never did. The hardest part was sometimes finding the tiredness to fall asleep because you have such consistent energy all day.

I'm only speaking from experience. I couldn't do this diet long term because carbs are so directly linked to my good mood chemicals and I was starting to get depressed without them. I couldn't do it as a whole lifestyle, but I've maintained my weight loss and it was a great kickstart to a healthier lifestyle and the fact that I used the Lose It! smartphone app so much for the diet helped me learn to estimate the calories and take note of everything that I'm eating. I'm by no means skinny or even chubby, I'm still fat. I just have the blood work to prove that I'm finally HEALTHY.

I would highly recommend this diet for people who can handle it, as it did nothing but good for me. It was the first time I've been to the doctor's and had them tell me nothing but good things and give me honest praise. It feels good when you're fat and that doesn't happen very often.

Just my $.02

:D

5. Jan 4, 2014 #245

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

6. Jan 5, 2014 #246

HugeBellyUK

HugeBellyUK

HugeBellyUK

Very interesting discussion.
    I tried low carb for the first time last year after reading many success stories and chatting to a few who were doing it. Watched some very enlightening youtube videos explaining why we get fat.

I lost 38lbs, but had an intentional break over Christmas and managed to put 10-15 back on which I was a bit surprised about. I never expected to gain that much in such a short amount of time. Even now few days after the celebrations I'm still feeling the carb cravings but trying to get back on track.

Low carb amazingly does work, but like any diet you have to keep to it. Temptation is always there especially when hungry, carb foods are just so convenient and it's easy to end up over eating them and gaining weight.

For anyone trying to lose weight, I recommend reducing the carbs and using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition, it makes it so much easier.

Happy 2014, and best of luck to those trying to control their weight for whatever reason.

Geodetic_Effect and hbighappy like this.
  7. Jan 15, 2014 #247

edvis

edvis

edvis

Glad to see that weight loss is not a taboo subject on this forum. I have been, but have slacked up a bit since having a wisdom tooth pulled 1-13-14. Got a training session on Thursday and should get back on track. It's not about the looks, it's about the health. Unfortunately some forums don't see it that way and many get offended at the the word "weight loss."

8. Mar 30, 2014 #248

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Weighed 299.2 pounds this morning after a three mile run (actually more of a slow jog). First time I've been less than 300 pounds in about eight years. I added running to my exercise program three weeks ago and I'm already seeing results.

9. Mar 30, 2014 #249

MattB

MattB

MattB

Epicurean

Not trying to lose weight per se, but yes...running will do it. I'm down to 220 just from running. I'm not even doing much resistance training, and weights used to be my thing.

I hate running BTW. :mad:

(I've said this many times before, but even though I'm getting better at it- still not a fan.)

10. Apr 5, 2014 #250

blackcaesarbhm

blackcaesarbhm

blackcaesarbhm

i'm currently on the Atkins Diet for last two weeks...

11. Apr 6, 2014 #251

Smite

Smite

Smite

Here Comes Your Man

I salute anyone who is dieting here. I lost about 200 pounds over the last two years and it's paid wonders off in my life. Keto and low carb are alright solutions, but the important thing is just stop eating junk and soda. Kick that shit out and you'll be in slim ville in no time.

Or sign up for myfitnesspal.com and profit.

12. Apr 6, 2014 #252

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Obesity is an expression of of multiple factors -- some physical some genetic some behavioral some environmental. If a major reason a particular individual is fat is over consumption of junk food and soda then yes stopping their consumption will definitely help. However, there are fat people out there who hardly ever drink soda or eat junk food. I've been fat since I was a small child. I've made a conscious effort to eat healthy since I was in high school. I'm not going to say that I've never eaten things that are bad for me but overall I think I've been pretty good at avoiding junk. I believe that staying away from junk food has prevented me from getting fatter -- I was seventy pounds overweight when I was 13 and now that I'm almost 50 I'm still seventy pounds overweight. The only times I've been able to reduce my weight was when I exercised intensely on a regular basis. Of course when, for numerous reasons, I stopped or cut back on the exercise the weight came right back.

13. Apr 6, 2014 #253

Smite

Smite

Smite

Here Comes Your Man

If you eat healthy and within a normal / losing amount of calories / other micros you will lose weight. There's literally nothing else to it.

Things might contribute to making someone overweight / obese but when it comes down to it, self control is all that matters.

Lil BigginZ likes this.
  14. Apr 6, 2014 #254

tankyguy

tankyguy

tankyguy

I've cut out all soda pop for a month now and now that the warm weather is here I've started hiking up a small hill a couple times a day. If by summer it gets easy I'll start loading up a rucksack with cinder blocks while I do it.

15. Apr 6, 2014 #255

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

If only it were actually that easy.

16. Apr 7, 2014 #256

Wanderer

Wanderer

Wanderer

Actor at Extra-Large

Leaving aside special cases such as hypothalamic obesity, a "normal/losing" amount of Calories is different for each individual. Basal metabolism is affected not only by the amount of muscle available to burn Calories, but also viruses, (Adenovirus 36 being the most notable), genetics and prior starvation and semi-starvation conditions.

(If you add in the special cases, things can get downright scary. Hypothalamic obesity is like something out of a gainer story, except it's real -- you're always hungry, and unless you outright starve yourself, all diet and exercise can do is slow down your gain.)

So please, while losing weight may be nothing but self-control for you, it simply isn't that easy for everyone, no matter what the popular wisdom may insist. Not every fat person eats tons of food, any more than every skinny person starves themselves.

17. Apr 9, 2014 #257

BigChaz

BigChaz

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness

Most fat people are fat because they do fat people stuff. Sorry to rain on the parade

18. Apr 9, 2014 #258

kilo riley

kilo riley

kilo riley

I got winded just reading that.

19. Apr 9, 2014 #259

kilo riley

kilo riley

kilo riley

lol true

Wanderer is right when it comes to some folks. But most of us are fat because we're doing fat people stuff.

Fat people stuff I've done so far this week:

- Binge watch last seasons Game of Thrones with my buddies Ben and Jerry.
    - drank 6 pints of lager then asked the cab driver if he could go through the Jack in the Box drive thru

And it's only Tuesday.

Esther likes this.
  20. Apr 9, 2014 #260

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Many people are fat because they did "fat people stuff" during a critical period for fat cell development. I did indeed drink too many sodas when I was six years old and as a result I was a fat kid. I've been doing my best to eat healthy and exercise since I was 15. However, I'll never be a normal thin person. So long as I workout hard at least four or five times a week I can stay just a little chunky -- that seems to be as good as it gets and even that takes a lot of effort (I'm currently trying to work back down to just a little chunky).

Stopping the consumption of soda and junk food will not turn a fat person into a thin person (unless of course you have a time machine and can stop them from getting fat in the first place).