Any Other BHM's trying to lose weight?

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by michiganbhm, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2014 #261

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

This week I've run 13 miles and gone to the gym 4 times. I haven't had any beer (I had one glass of wine while watching the new episode of Game of Thrones). I did go to Carl's Jr. twice -- both times I had a low carb burger (big lettuce leaves instead of a bun) a side salad and unsweetened ice tea. My alarm is set for 5:00 am so I can run another five miles before work tomorrow. AND I'M STILL FAT!

2. Apr 9, 2014 #262

BigChaz

BigChaz

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness

I've watched a lot of cartoons and I have learned that if you montage or do something for like a day or two the changes should be drastic.

You may be right...

3. Apr 9, 2014 #263

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

A day or two? Fuck that -- I've been more active than 90% of the population my entire life. How many 300 pound people do you know that can run five plus miles before work. I can do it because I've been active my entire adult life.

4. Apr 9, 2014 #264

kilo riley

kilo riley

kilo riley

Yeah...I should probably just speak for myself. I'm fat cuz I do fat people things.

But like you said, you work out, run, eat well, and you're still fat. If I did all those things I probably wouldn't be fat. I'm just a lazy bastard.

5. Apr 9, 2014 #265

vardon_grip

vardon_grip

vardon_grip

Consistently smarmy

It is my opinion that we look for reasons that "prove" why we are fat or why we can't lose weight because we don't want to be at fault when it comes to our obesity. If obesity is out of our control, then we can't be blamed and there is no need to make an effort. Be happy and be whatever you really want to be.

6. Apr 9, 2014 #266

Dromond

Dromond

Dromond

Old school

https://www.facebook.com/john.m.pedigo, M
    I've started keeping a food diary. Tracking what I eat, the calorie count, that sort of thing. It's not a diet as such, because I'm not changing my eating habits - which are pretty good - but rather being aware of how much I eat. My goal is to slowly drop weight over a long period. A sudden and radical change of diet would be a recipe for failure, so I'm going with the philosophy of slow and steady wins the race.

7. Apr 9, 2014 #267

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

If you'd listen to what I say, and actually follow it, you could be ripped if that's what you wanted.

cinnamitch and LeoGibson like this.
  8. Apr 10, 2014 #268

Smite

Smite

Smite

Here Comes Your Man

I didn't say you're fat because you ate too much junk food or are lazy, i'm saying if you eat under the average caloreis you should be eating you're going to lose weight. There's no psuedoscience or anything you can say to spin it otherwise. If you stop eating junk food and stay below your limits you will lose weight. That's not to say there isn't factors that mean people can't keep control (most people overeat like hell because they don't know portion control), i'm saying that there's literally no way for someone to eat under a caloric limit and not lose weight.

9. Apr 10, 2014 #269

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

While the laws of thermodynamics obviously apply fat metabolism is a hell of a lot more complicated than just calories in calories out. And goals should include more than just numbers on a scale -- muscle mass needs to be preserved, blood sugar and fat levels need to be maintained at acceptable levels, basal metabolic level needs to be maintained or increased ... .

Simple calorie restriction has proved an ineffective method of long-term weight loss. And weight that is lost comes at a price.

10. Apr 10, 2014 #270

Paquito

Paquito

Paquito

don't July to me

I think it's kind of incredible how people can come on a website full of fat people - fat people who have wildly diverse experiences and have routinely debunked popular weight loss myths - and still spout off the same old weight loss advice like it's completely, undeniably true. Bodies are diverse and don't all work the same. It's okay to accept that.

11. Apr 10, 2014 #271

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Agreed. But so long as such stuff stays on this thread--where presumably come looking for discussions around this topic--and nobody starts telling other what they should be doing with their body and life (as opposed to what I've mostly seen which is "if you want A, do B and you will get it--guaranteed!"), I'm not going to object to it as a moderator.

tl;dr version:

- (as moderator) as long as you don't proselytize or abuse, discuss it as you want on this thread
    - (as a random board participant) Human bodies vary tremendously, and not all respond the way that the majority respond--so when someone makes blanket, prescriptive, statements about what will work for all bodies, it makes me less inclined to believe anything they say, rather than more.

12. Apr 10, 2014 #272

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Yes! One thing to add -- while bodies are certainly diverse and respond to external stimuli is diverse ways one thing that is clearly apparent is that for the vast majority of people (i.e. more than 95%) calorie restriction alone is not the path to long-term weight loss. Its down right infuriating when people sanctimoniously espouse that weight loss is a simple matter of just eating less.

13. Apr 10, 2014 #273

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

The underlying biochemistry for all humans is the same, barring any REAL medical conditions, which the vast majority of people do not have. Insulin controls fat storage and Leptin controls fat burning (there are some other hormones involved, but those are the main and if they are under control, the others fall in line.). If manipulated correctly they will lose fat. The optimal ranges for individuals will vary, but staying below the lowest threshold in that range will always result in fat loss. Some more quickly than others, but as long as they stick too it, they will achieve their goals without starving themselves. Once they reach that goal they can then experiment with different methods to see what works best for them maintaining the losses.

14. Apr 10, 2014 #274

LeoGibson

LeoGibson

LeoGibson

Happy

I'd be interested in learning more about this topic. Do you have any resources you'd recommend reading on hormone manipulation through nutrition. I know for myself it's a tough nut to balance between eating enough to recover and keep adding weight to the bar without adding a bunch of fat to go with it.

15. Apr 10, 2014 #275

Iannathedriveress

Iannathedriveress

Iannathedriveress

Random Heroine

Over the past two months I lost a lot of weight because I been having a lot of problems with my stomach. I went from 255 to 212 so far. There hasn't been much food in my stomach because I have a hard time trusting most foods. I been loving the weight loss but I just don't know much I can take my stomach issue for any longer.

16. Apr 11, 2014 #276

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

It's definitely difficult to gain as much strength as you would like while cutting fat. That's why bodybuilders have different phases. Those of us that are cutting from weights over 400 pounds obviously have a lot more work to do in the cutting department. So doing a full ketogenic diet is more beneficial than starting with something like carb backloading. Start with the works of John Kiefer. Excellent resource, he cites everything, compiled a ton of information from the peer reviewed research journals. Also, get some textbooks on Human Physiology, Biochemistry, and Endocrinology. The Endocrine System is very interesting. Hormones control everything. Be warned, if you are OCD about this stuff and fact checking like I am, it leads to endless hours of reading. Kiefer's first book has something like 9,000 citations. I've literally been researching this topic for 6 years.

17. Apr 11, 2014 #277

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

One extra bit of info I can tell you, ignore his caloric recommendations if you are training hard. He doesn't even really recommend hard training while cutting fat like that. I have done it, it works great. Just eat whenever you are hungry until you are satisfied, within his other guidelines.

Whatever you do, do not skimp on fat. Between 60-65% of my calories come from fat. Just don't get them from vegetable oils. Eat grass-fed meat/butter/tallow, pasture raised eggs, use quality coconut and olive oils. Lots of braising, drink the juices, so many quality nutrients, especially glycosaminoglycans, which people don't get nearly enough of. Also don't forget to eat organs. Grassfed beef liver is the single greatest source of nutrition out there.

This is another good book I forgot to mention: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018
  18. Apr 11, 2014 #278

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

Epigenetics is another very interesting topic as it relates to nutrition. While DNA is hardcoded, how the DNA is expressed is not. Environmental factors can change which genes are expressed. Your diet can literally change your genetics, it's fascinating.

19. Apr 11, 2014 #279

LeoGibson

LeoGibson

LeoGibson

Happy

Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to look into this area of research. Although I wonder if I'll feel the same after I go down the rabbit hole, I can get a little OCD myself when experimenting with new things. The last decent nutrition book I read that pertained to lifting was The Anabolic Diet by Mauro DiPasquale, but that was a dozen or so years ago and it was an older book then.

I'm not trying to cut per se, but rather not gain fat but still eat enough to gain strength. I really don't care as much for body comp, my main goal is strength. If some body recomp happens, great, if not, it's not that big of a deal as long as I continue to see the numbers go up on the bar. The two areas right now that intrigue me are hormonal manipulation through diet and training and training the CNS for strength gains moreso than just going for bigger muscles. I know that as a by-product of strength comes muscularity, but it's not my main concern as much as tendon and ligament strength and CNS training is.

20. Apr 11, 2014 #280

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

Geodetic_Effect

5/3/1/ by Jim Wendler and Carb Back-Loading by John Kiefer

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018