Any Other BHM's trying to lose weight?

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by michiganbhm, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Nov 18, 2014 #321

Lil BigginZ

Lil BigginZ

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy

Low carb is the only diet that I feel full on. Every other diet I'm constantly hungry 24/7. My only problem with eating low card is that it's an expensive diet. It's hard to eat cheaply on low carb since you're basically buying nothing but meat, produce, and dairy. Which all 3 can be expensive at times.

2. Nov 20, 2014 #322

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

Given that dieting has a 95% failure rate its hard to take any assertion that dieting "works" seriously.

The laws of thermodynamics cannot be broken so at a very basic level weight loss is about calories in and calories out. People in concentration camps or suffering famine will indeed loose weight. In more usual circumstances the fact that the calories out side of the equation is not constant is what makes diets so ineffectual. Diets create a negative feedback loop. The more you diet the lower your metabolism the more you need to diet ...

Exercise -- particularly strength training (i.e. weights) -- is the key to increasing metabolism.

3. Nov 20, 2014 #323

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

I tried Atkins low carb, but I enjoyed the South Beach(tm) low carb more. If you think in terms of the WeightWatchers point system, or by the High vs. Low glycemic scale it helps you choose the best combination to go with.

But it can't be just a diet. It must be a lifestyle change. One of those rest-of-your-life kinds of change.

I haven't been able to change. I'm too easily swayed by the craving and hunger.

4. Nov 20, 2014 #324

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I know this is off tangent, but I think it is really interesting that this thread is allowed to exist. I thought the forum had a 'no diet talk' policy? Certainly I don't think a thread like this in the BBW forum about losing weight would go down so well...

Not that it is at all a problem to have threads like this but shouldn't the acceptance of weight loss threads on this forum be the same for men and women? Just a thought.

5. Nov 20, 2014 #325

Goreki

Goreki

Goreki

Fairy tales and Woe

I think that it's important that it does exist. I like the idea of a place to discuss weight loss thoroughly with people who are in a similar situation. There's no judgement about why you are they way you are to begin with, and people give a shit about the mental and physical effects of the advice they give.

I like size acceptance. I don't like it when it becomes mandated. Changing ones appearance is a choice, and I think it's shitty to say (and I'm not implying that you've said this, Loopy) accept your size no matter what.

I also think size acceptance includes all sizes and bodies - when it becomes a reaction against the current societal ideal instead of a true acceptance, then it's wrong.

6. Nov 20, 2014 #326

Bigsweetguy619

Bigsweetguy619

Bigsweetguy619

I've actually lost a lot of weight and did so for health reasons, I tipped at 592 and had really bad sleep apnea. I got down to where I am now, 400+, and have been lingering at my current weight for about a year and a half. I feel great and am active and can do more which makes me happier, but to be honest I've found myself thinking of trying to lose more because the sad fact is I'm single, have never had a girlfriend, and I know it's because women like those on here are rare. So to be more widely accepted I may cut down on my wideness, but I'm still not 100% committed yet, just have lingering thoughts about it when I feel lonely is all, but food is always there to keep me company:)

7. Nov 20, 2014 #327

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

I absolutely agree with this. I don't know if I made it clear enough in my original post, but my issue isn't with threads like this existing at all, just that it seems a bit off for there to be one rule for the BHM and another for the BBW here when it comes to talking about these things. But maybe I am just interpreting the rules of the site wrong?

8. Nov 20, 2014 #328

HugeBellyUK

HugeBellyUK

HugeBellyUK

This site like the many others is mainly BBW/FA and size positive. It would simply not be good business to start discussing diets and weight loss in the BBW forum section so that is probably why we're getting away with the discussion here on the BHM board.

As much as I am into size acceptance, staying positive and being happy at all sizes, there comes a point where our health is affected from our obesity and it is hard to actually remain so positive and happy.

Both SSBBW & SSBHM who are suffering from fat related health issues need support, and I feel this is one of the few places on the net where we should be able to discuss the matter. Most of us understand the complications of our size, our addiction to food, and problems we face in trying to become more mobile, fitter and most importantly healthier. If you succeeded in losing 50lbs or more for whatever reason, congratulations, please share how you did it - as those little tips might well help someone else. That is what this thread is all about.

MsBrightside likes this.
  9. Nov 20, 2014 #329

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

< mod hat on >

I do keep a very close eye on this thread, as a mod. I have in the past--and likely will have to in the future--had to ask someone to tone it down, or simply removed posts that I thought were a toe over the line.

Basically:
    - do talk about what you are doing with your life
    - do talk about what has worked and hasn't worked for you
    - do talk about science and research around these issues.
    - basically the above three come out to "do talk about facts as you've experienced them or as other people have measured them"
    - don't tell anyone else to lose weight
    - don't tell anyone else how they should lose weight
    - don't prostheletyze for a particular diet or approach
    - above all else, don't tell anyone else that their experience is invalid, even in the form of "it would have been OK if only you had done 'X'"
    - Actually, in general in this thread be very wary of usage of the term "You." Even if you mean it in the generic sense, it may be read in the specific sense.

Given the nature of these forums, I'll err on the side of removing posts, (in most threads I tend to go the other way. This thread is so marginal to be on here, and the subject can easily get so emotional, that I have a special policy for this thread)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  10. Nov 20, 2014 #330

Lil BigginZ

Lil BigginZ

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy

Why was my post deleted? That's kind of shitty as it didn't attack anybody or tell anybody how to diet. He's making a claim that 95% of diets fail and I clearly told him that if you don't work the diet then you will fail. Why is that so bad? And that 95% of diets failing is an old outdated study from 1959. It's not the diet that is failing, it's the person.

The whole point of this thread is for people trying to lose weight and he's in here trying to discourage others. At least remove that 95% post from him. Nobody in this thread doesn't want to feel discouraged in losing weight or else they wouldn't be in this thread in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    biglynch likes this.
  11. Nov 21, 2014 #331

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

This is supposed to be encouraging?

Sorry, but saying that fat people could all easily be thin if only they were better people (i.e. had more willpower or more commitment) is the opposite of encouragement.

12. Nov 21, 2014 #332

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

As far as people's stories go -- here's mine. I was a fat kid. I was only kid in my 1st grade class to weigh over 100 pounds. In 7th grade I weighed 235 pounds. I was always the last kid picked for teams in gym class. When I was 15 I started to workout. By 12th grade I actually made the varsity basketball team.

As an adult I've struggled to maintain a reasonable weight -- with varying degrees of success. For short periods of time -- when I've been able to devote lots of time to exercise -- I've managed to be almost thin. But most of the time I've had to settle for maintaining a moderately fat physique (50-60 pounds overweight). I'm pretty happy when -- as now -- I can buy my jeans at Target.

13. Nov 21, 2014 #333

LeoGibson

LeoGibson

LeoGibson

Happy

I'm sure being argumentative helps your chosen profession, but in places such as these it puts you in shall we say, an unfavorable light to be diplomatic about it. I say that because any rational thinking human being with average reading comprehension skills would not take that away from Bigginz' post. That's not what he was saying at all.

Let me give you a simple analogy. Maybe that will help you comprehend the nuance of what he was saying counselor. A diet is a tool just as a hammer is a tool. A hammer will drive a nail into a 2x4 100% of the time provided you line everything up and do it properly and use the hammer exactly as intended. If you don't pay attention and hit it improperly or have the nail at a disadvantageous angle it will not drive in the nail. That doesn't mean the hammer didn't work or that you're a bad person because you didn't use it correctly. It means don't blame the tool for the workman's error.

Now occasionally you will run into a piece of wood that has some underlying problems, like an unseen knot or what have you that can make driving the nail more difficult or even impossible. However, those, like most humans are the exception and not the rule.

In case you were wondering, the hammer represents the diet.

ScreamingChicken likes this.
  14. Nov 21, 2014 #334

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

I apologize for no PM, I was very tight on time (the message I posted was already making me run late). That specific post was heavy on "you", which in the context could very well be read to mean Bigmac. General point is probably OK, in more neutral language.

I do probably need to do a more thorough sweep through this thread once I have twenty minutes on a proper computer (mostly I'm doing things on my phone these days which is less than optimum). Might be a fair amount more pruning.

But do recall that the general call at this site is that it is fat positive, and there are literally thousands of sites focussed on weight loss versus a few about fat acceptance and support. I think that support should include recognizing that some fat people do want and/or need to lose weight--but I think the sceptic's voice has a place in that discussion too.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  15. Nov 21, 2014 #335

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

One of 50,298

The Mrs. and I both got reamed by our doctors here in the last month. HBP for me and diabetes for her. Plus we are both dealing with nagging pain in our joints. At 36 and 40, we are at points where we need to address these things once and for all and stop ignoring them.

Since neither of us wants to fool with prescriptions, it's going to be changes in what we eat and appreciable movement on our part. It will probably be reduced carbs , no soda, less salt and caffeine (especially for me). As for exercise, I want to try walking again. As it is, I sit at a desk nine hours a day plus another three in the car. I have very little if any physical activity.

The plan is to start cleaning up things the day after Thanksgiving. We shall see...

16. Nov 21, 2014 #336

Cookie

Cookie

Cookie

I know this can be a very sensitive topic for some and the last thing I am out to do here is mean harm or upset anyone, but, I completely agree that it's not the diet that's failing, but the person.

Some diets like the Atkins do speed up weight loss. I once did it and even though I was only a tiny bit overweight I still lost a stone in 14 days as promised. It's extremely exhausting and requires a LOT of willpower, but if you incorporate it into your lifestyle, still doing what you normally do each day you do lose weight. I was pretty determined and that got me through it.

Really though, the only things you need to do to lose weight at a steady rate are eat less calories and exercise more. It sounds simple but it can be pretty tough, but you're guaranteed to drop the pounds if you stick at it.

I wish everyone here who's looking to lose weight the best of luck; fat can be attractive but I'd never forgive myself if someone came to harm because I liked their size and encouraged weight gain.

RentonBob likes this.
  17. Nov 21, 2014 #337

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Lil BigginZ, as much as what you were saying was valid I found your tone in the post that got deleted insulting as well. Not saying that is what you intended but you have to bear it mind that, as others have said, this is a loaded topic for some people.

Personally, I have struggled with eating disorders in the past so being told that 'I am a failure of a person' for not being able to 'stick to' a diet that was making me seriously ill is obviously a very triggering and upsetting thing to hear. You don't know how might be reading this thread with similar experiences so calling anybody who doesn't stick to a diet a failure is... well, it is cruel and uncalled for, in my opinion. There is also an implication there that if you are fat because you have failed at dieting then you are a 'failure' and I think that everybody can agree that is not an appropriate or helpful thing to say on a forum like this.

I'm not trying to attack you, just explaining why some people would object and be upset by your post. And for what it is worth, if being fat and strong and healthy makes me a failure in your eyes, so be it. I would rather be a happy failure than a sick, skinny mess.

18. Nov 22, 2014 #338

Lil BigginZ

Lil BigginZ

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy

The "you" I using was in the general term, no where was I attacking anybody by calling them failures. I thought it was quite clear what my intentions in my post was saying. I also know this is a fat positive site, but this is also a weight loss thread where we can talk about it and get support. I don't feel bashing a diet that works for a lot of people is supporting anybody, especially when he came in here stating 95% of diets fail. That's not doing anything to encourage anybody here to lose weight. I just didn't feel blaming the diet for the failure rate was support, because it's not the diet that fails. They work if YOU work it.

Nailed it! :D

LOL nobody is calling you "a failure at life". Where did you get that from? From my post? All I said was it's not the diet that makes the failure rate so high, it's the person, and I don't agree with it being 95% as I've known plenty of people who have lost weight and kept it off. That's truth. If the truth is "triggering" something then I don't know what to say here. Read LeoGisbon's post from above. He nailed what I was trying to say. All I'm saying is dieting is hard work, and people will fail at them. It happens, just don't blame the diet for that like Bigmac was doing with the low carb. Different diets will work differently for each person. That doesn't mean you have to give up or that "you're a failure", just don't blame the diet, because that's not what was the reason it failed.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  19. Nov 22, 2014 #339

biglynch

biglynch

biglynch

http://www.facebook.com/#!/aiden.j.lynch,
    Yikes ok if your still arguing world, then read Leo's post again. It might be the best post I've seen on dims since i joined.

I'll say this. A fact remains a fact whether you like it or not.

I'm fairly sure of this in that LilB was not intending to be controversial or offend. I'd also say that he'll have made that comment based on sound reasoning and personal experience. To tell him that he's wrong or that it's not the case actually discredited his personal experience. I don't think anyone has the right to do that.

I can't say if he's right, but I won't say he's wrong because it might upset me or others.

Take care peeps.

20. Nov 22, 2014 #340

Lil BigginZ

Lil BigginZ

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy

Let's try and get this thread back on track.

I've gained some weight back with a current medical issue I'm dealing with, plus crippling depression on top of it made for a good 90 pound gain over the last 7 months. My blood pressure is through the roof and also my doctor tested my blood sugar, which was really bad for not eating anything for the day, so he thinks my diabetes might be back. Joy.

So I have to change up my diet and go back to low carb, which isn't bad since I actually enjoy low carb, I just don't like how expensive of a diet it is. So I'm currently trying to put together a meal plan, exercise plan, and going to log everything on myfitnesspal.