Any Other BHM's trying to lose weight?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

bigmac

I am actively working to lose weight for health and "I want to be able to do shit" reasons. So far I'm down 110 lbs in the last 6 months. I did it by changing how I eat mostly, though I am more active now; it's a direct result of losing the weight and feeling better. I still have a long ways to go, but I am almost half way to my goal weight of 220.
The I want to be able to do shit reason resonates with me. I used to play basketball at the local gym. However, I'm not going to participate unless I can participate well (don't want to embarrass myself).

Geodetic_Effect

Apparently they didn't teach you to read. I never asserted that intense exercise leads to destroying fat cells. From the beginning I have stated that it is all about diet, because it is. Fat loss is all in how you eat. I said there is anecdotal evidence of fat cells beng turned into stem cells, again do to diet. Do you not understand what anecdotal evidence is?

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call shenanigans. Yes, hormones do effect fat storage, fat utilization, and muscle development. Intense exercise does indeed effect your hormonal systems. However, it appears you're taking a little knowledge and making wild extrapolations.

I took several upper division physiology courses and I am unaware of any research that would support your assertion than hormonal changes brought about by intense exercise destroys fat cells. Your claim that fat cells can be converted to stem cells seems totally improbable.

cakeboy

Douchepuncher Supreme!
Crush your fat cells. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of the trans fats.

vect0rman

can't easily delete profile.
I am trying to lose again. I yoyo up and down but no where near my highest peak (315lb). With my Height, that's a pretty hefty size. my current weight is 275lbs. I was 240 about a year ago, and long story short. got a Girl friend, we'd eat out alot, and do stuff so i stopped eating as healthy and going to the gym. anyways, single now and planning on getting back on it.

What I did. well. I put two goals for myself.
1. not to spend so much money. I made a budget for my food intake.
this really helps on what you get and how much you eat out. (do you really need those krispy kreme's?)

2. eat more natural foods, low in sugars, and low in carbs.

3. get a meal schedule. earlier = bigger meal so i can burn it off while being active. and have 4-5 small=medium meals a day instead of 2-3 BIG MEALS.

4.Work out, become active, set your self a goal in that category. "this week Ill walk a mile in XX time" start off small and transition in to different levels.

5. Trial and error. what works out for you may not work for others and vise versa.

6. Be realistic about your goals, you can't undo years worth of life style in a few weeks.

I applied that to my life, made a change. I worked out religiously after work in the night. for 2-3 hours, Drank a lot of water. Ate well in the morning. took pictures of myself. ate healthier and selected healthy alternatives even for cravings. picked up physical hobbies. and made mini goals for myself. goals that were attainable in a few months. "I lost 10, my next 3 months i want to lose 15lbs"- that was my first goal.

I want to get down to 200-220 see how I feel, and look. my BMI is like 160-170? but yeah... lol... way too thin for me or my structure.

escapist

Belt Buster!
Just feels like its time for me to report in. I guess its been over a month and I've had some serious drops in weight and crazy realizations. I finally sprang for a 550 lb rated scale because I knew the one I was getting numbers off of wasn't 100% reliable. Turns out I was well over 500 lbs when I thought I was like 490ish because even after loosing 20+ lbs I was only 490. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal and it didn't really take away from what I had done or accomplished but in my head...well it just sucked having to say some of those same numbers again. When you say goodbye to a weight range you don't ever really want to see it come back unless its from pure muscle.

Anyways, the low carb thing is just ROCKING for me! I decided to just stay pretty much on induction because I found out I really liked it. I was at 490 lbs on Saturday and woke up today just 5 days later 8 lbs lighter. I thought I would have gone up cause I totally pigged out at a buffet in Vegas yesterday. I stayed on plan eating mostly broccoli, pork, and mushrooms but man I had a HUGE plate, and some fried chicken (non-breaded) and clams. I actually lost 2 lbs which totally blew me away.

Oh, and for Geo, the body weight thing is rockin. Up to 100 Squats now. By the time I get down to 400 lbs I'll be easily doing 200 squats :D I went camping again this last weekend and OMG did it make life so much easier than just a month ago when I hurt my back!

likeitmatters

happiness as finally come
is not good for ones heart and either stay where you or risk the chances down the road of heart damage.

and prepare to get a new set of friends who will love you at your thinner side of life.

there was a study years ago I do believe before any of you were born about some people are predestine to be large and I never followed up on that thought pattern till now.

anyone care to chime on this?

BigWheels

It's OK, I bite back
I have said this before, and I hope this time I'm for real...

I'm going to try to shed the UNHEALTHY weight for medical reasons.

I think what really hit me was James Gandolfini dying from a heart attack a few days ago. 51 years old. I'll be 42 this year. And with my dietary habits, 51 sounds even like a long shot. My my Mom & her parents had heart issues, all died early 50's.

I realize I may be on borrowed time now. I want to be there for my kids (they don't live with me).

I think my biggest fear is dying alone & no one knowing for several days (or longer). And as it is, I'm almost 100% homebound. It hurts to sit, stand, walk, lay down, etc...

Stick a fork in me, I think I'm done.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator

I think what really hit me was James Gandolfini dying from a heart attack a few days ago. 51 years old. I'll be 42 this year. And with my dietary habits, 51 sounds even like a long shot. My my Mom & her parents had heart issues, all died early 50's.

I realize I may be on borrowed time now. I want to be there for my kids (they don't live with me).

I think my biggest fear is dying alone & no one knowing for several days (or longer). And as it is, I'm almost 100% homebound. It hurts to sit, stand, walk, lay down, etc...

You CAN do it. I know you can. I am lucky to be one of those obnoxiously healthy people but I have friends who are younger than me that struggle so much with their health and it really is painful to watch. But things can get better.

Do you have people come to your house to visit you often? I can understand why that would scare you. *hugs*

BigWheels

It's OK, I bite back
You CAN do it. I know you can. I am lucky to be one of those obnoxiously healthy people but I have friends who are younger than me that struggle so much with their health and it really is painful to watch. But things can get better.

Do you have people come to your house to visit you often? I can understand why that would scare you. *hugs*
Nobody comes by (except the maintenance guy monthly to see if I need anything fixed.) so it grows (more & more fear) each day.

And yeah, I've tried reaching out to people I know, tried, well, several things... and sadly, I've run into weightism (is that even the word I'm trying to find?), repeatedly. And you get kicked enough times, you tend to be gun shy.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Nobody comes by (except the maintenance guy monthly to see if I need anything fixed.) so it grows (more & more fear) each day.

And yeah, I've tried reaching out to people I know, tried, well, several things... and sadly, I've run into weightism (is that even the word I'm trying to find?), repeatedly. And you get kicked enough times, you tend to be gun shy.
Hmm... I'm afraid I can't offer much advice because I really don't know how things work over the ocean. I know that over here you can get support and have people come over to see you every day especially if you are so anxious about that.

I believe sizeism is the word! And yeah, I can understand that. I have social anxiety myself so I don't have a lot of friends and if it wasn't for the fact that I live with my family here I would likely not see anybody aside from once or twice a month myself. I know that isn't much help to you but I can empathise at the very least. I just wish I could be more useful for you. =/

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL

instead of *trying* why don't you MAKE A DECISON to do this one minute/hour/day at a time.....I know you can do it if you realize it is life or death....FOR YOUR KIDS!!!!

bigmac

I'm almost 100% homebound. It hurts to sit, stand, walk, lay down, etc...

While I'm of the opinion that WLS is over rated and over performed it can be appropriate in some circumstances. You might want to look into this option.

A newer procedure, the sleeve gastrectomy (AKA gastric sleeve), has results similar to that of gastric bypass but with fewer complications. A member of my family had a sleeve gastrectomy last fall and has lost 150lbs. The operation cannot be reversed so the decision to do it is not one to be taken lightly. However, sometimes extreme situations call for extreme measures.

hbighappy

While I'm of the opinion that WLS is over rated and over performed it can be appropriate in some circumstances. You might want to look into this option.

A newer procedure, the sleeve gastrectomy (AKA gastric sleeve), has results similar to that of gastric bypass but with fewer complications. A member of my family had a sleeve gastrectomy last fall and has lost 150lbs. The operation cannot be reversed so the decision to do it is not one to be taken lightly. However, sometimes extreme situations call for extreme measures.

Im planing on doing this need lose like 60 lbs still b4 i can do it already lost 40+
these last 60 lbs harder doing atkins diet plan hit gym when my daughter starts her preschool next month

Group builder