Any way you want it

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Alright, here's a question for anyone.

When I watch something - be it an older television episode or a movie - I tend to get extremely impatient come the middle of it. As a result, I sometimes google the media being watched and read the plot. While I don't feel like this really detracts from my watching experience, friends find this habit somewhat terrible.

What's wrong with enjoying something mostly because of the characters? IE: I watch House for...House. The structure is formulaic enough and eventually, I'd rather just know what non-Lupus ailment is the culprit.

So am I the only one who succumbs to this urge? Or has the urge period? :doh:
I do this too! Most anime I watch I end up reading about first and then watching, and most games I play a bit of, read about the story and stuff, and then get down to watching how it all unfolds! I actually tend to get into an anime/game because I've read all about the characters and therefore the storyline and want to see those characters myself!

The Dark Lady

Got some dark desire?
Suspense is a piss-poor reason to enjoy any kind of story, and quality media creations will carry themselves without it. This's the reason I do it the Amaranthine/ODAFFA/Loopy way.

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei
See, this is my problem with laws. If homicide didn't carry so many legal repercussions, the population might be a bit more manageable. A genocide or two and no one will have to live in these god-forsaken areas!

But NOPE. Illegality all around :(
That's your solution for everything!

You are literally the dumbest motherfucker alive.
When your city is a smoking pile of rubble just remember that you were told.

Sasquatch!

A wild loser appeared!
Woo!! We got another convert:D
And they shall call us the Future Lookers" :p
A saying comes to mind instead. "Not seeing the painting for the brushstrokes".

I happen to like watching or reading things several times. The technical enjoyment is for the second or third run-through, when suspension of disbelief isn't necessary.

Tad

mostly harmless
1) Re: Amaranthine and others looking up the plot...I don't do this, but I do understand the impatience. For the most part I'm doing something else at the same time as watching TV (reading, ironing, playing on the computer, whatever) and my focus kinds of fades in and out with regards to what is on the TV, so I just don't pay a lot of attention to the tedious middle parts most of the time (there are the occasional shows or episodes that keep me riveted....but these are very rare)

2) Proper maintenance of one's ignore list is a key contributor to one's satisfactory forum user experience.

3) I like walking in the rain, ever since I invested in a good umbrella. Aside from the fact that it keeps me dryer (being larger than the cheap ones generally are), using something that is well designed and well made just pleases me. Is it weird that the quality of my umbrella affects how I feel about the rain?

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei
Am I the only one who saw the "Rate Me Nigga" thread before it was deleted or did I imagine it?

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
3) I like walking in the rain, ever since I invested in a good umbrella. Aside from the fact that it keeps me dryer (being larger than the cheap ones generally are), using something that is well designed and well made just pleases me. Is it weird that the quality of my umbrella affects how I feel about the rain?
I don't think so! I love walking in the rain and hearing the pitter-patter of it on my umbrella. But when my umbrella is being ravaged by the wind and bending under pressure...I'm no longer enjoying the stroll. It's more like I'm walking my umbrella. And though I'm not typically one to concern myself with fashion, a nicely patterned umbrella is a joy of its own.

tankyguy

I love to go walking in the rain without an umbrella.
Those nighttime Fall showers. The downtown silent except for the low pattering and the roaring gutters. The streets empty save for myself and the occasional cab. Neon reflected off the slick pavement.

It's like something out of film noir, except I can't quite pull off the trenchcoat look, but I love it.
:happy:

bigmac

I can only feel bad to a point for the people in Oklahoma. Why in the FUCK would you live in a place where you know there's an excellent chance that a tornado will destroy everything you own and maybe even kill you some day?!
Or for that matter why would anyone live on a fault line or below sea level? Was their first choice to live on a volcano?
Fucking MOVE you idiots.
You do know that tornadoes of this magnitude can strike anywhere from the gulf coast to the Canadian subarctic. You proposing that we abandon two thirds of the continent?

A huge tornado (similar in magnitude to this week's storm) hit my home town of Edmonton (450 miles north of the US border) in 1987 killing 27 people.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/04/black-friday/

Indeed killer tornadoes have hit pretty much every region of North America. From Windsor Ontario, to Cleveland Ohio, to Cheyenne Wyoming. A 1953 tornado killed 94 people in Worcester Massachusetts. Even California gets tornadoes -- 1983 tornado injured 30 people in Los Angeles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tornadoes_striking_downtown_areas_of_large_cities

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei
Can happen ≠ Will happen

I can be struck by lightning anywhere, that doesn't mean it's wise for me to be on top of a mountain during a thunderstorm.

You'll likely see another 50 F4 or F5 tornadoes destroy towns in Oklahoma before 1 hits Cheyenne or Worcester again.

I reiterate:

fritzi

You are literally the dumbest motherfucker alive.
Chaz is right once more!

True stupidity is when you are unable or unwilling to recognize you might be wrong even if people patiently try to educate you!

In your post you do no less than denounce 80% of the history of human settlement - because the most densely populated areas on the planet have always been those that for climatic or geological reasons might include some form of potential hazard:

Evacuate California, the Western coast of Central and South America, the entire Mediterranean with Asia Minor all th way over to Iran and Afghanistan, Japan, Western China and Indonesia - irresponsible living there because of the risk of earth quakes!

Get out of all cities built on the coast, in river deltas or on rivers because of the potential tsunamis, storms and flooding... wait, which ones would that leave us with??

Or where would humanity be allowed to live with this rational?

Of all the stupid discussions there sometimes are around here, this one is high on the list of the most unnecessary :doh::doh::doh:

LeoGibson

Happy
My mistake, I guess they're geniuses for living in the heart of a place called Tornado Alley.
No more so than people are geniuses for living in New York or London because we all know that's the place terrorists like to strike. So they should really think about moving.

Japanese people should look for new places to reside also since tsunami's hit them.

Anyone that lives along the gulf coast or eastern seaboard should also move, you know, hurricanes and all.

The thing is, you made a tasteless joke that backfired a bit and wasn't very funny. Just accept that and move on. Your posts are sometimes amusing although the take nothing serious treat every situation like your auditioning for the improv does get slightly redundant.

Latest posts

Group builder