Are you a vegan or a carnivore?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by smithnwesson, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Sep 22, 2009 #41

pdgujer148

pdgujer148

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah

Equally tempted by a rare steak and a plate of pasta. Call me The Omnivore!

(Don't like Moderates? We have all the decent Pizzas!)

2. Sep 22, 2009 #42

cinnamitch

cinnamitch

cinnamitch

nope

I like veggies, next to my meat of course, but i like em. :D

3. Oct 6, 2009 #43

lypeaches

lypeaches

lypeaches

for the carnivores.....

meat.jpg

4. Oct 6, 2009 #44

Cors

Cors

Cors

Delurking

Happy carnivore.

5. Oct 7, 2009 #45

Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie

*snort* love it.

I heard a term the other day. "Locavore" -- basically it's one of the food movements that encourages people to eat foods grown/caught/killed close to home. I like the idea, even while living in Alaska and knowing there's no way in HELL that I'd do it. I'm so not into muktuk, dried seaweed and salmon berries. Although I do enjoy moose from time to time, and I love the fish we have up here.

But yeah, me, an Alaskan locavore? Don't think so. But once I get down to the lower 48 in an area where you can actually grow food, I'm going to move in that direction.

6. Oct 7, 2009 #46

jamie

jamie

jamie

...tickled...

My husband is a vegetarian for both health and philosophical reasons and people crack me up with the questions they ask him.

No one, well at least that I know of, has ever tried to change his mind. I tease him sometimes and remark how delicious my steak is, but that is because we constantly rib each other. For convenience, and expense, and just - well, because - I eat a pretty vegetarian lifestyle because I don't care that much about meat, at least not enough to cook two meals and deal with the leftovers of tons of meat products from just one serving at a time.

I wonder if the people who take such umbrage with vegetarians do it because they feel, rightly or more likely wrongly, that when someone says "I am vegetarian for ethical reasons, I love animals," that they are being told by eating meat they are unethical or somehow hate animals. I don't think most vegetarians are doing this, but there are some militant animal rights groups that do try to advance that propaganda.

7. Oct 7, 2009 #47

katorade

katorade

katorade

I have the same qualms with many outspoken, militant vegetarians as they do with me. I don't enjoy being singled out as an evil, heartless, bloodthirsty, ignorant killer when I'm eating a turkey sandwich. Unless they eat nothing but food they've grown themselves, they have no room to talk when it comes to things like factory farming and agriculture. Where do they think their food is grown? Space? No. It's grown right here, in farmlands that have wiped out the natural habitats of surrounding wildlife, with pesticides and factory by-product run-off that poisons soil and waterways. And those that refuse to eat meat because of factory farming, why not just support local farmers instead? They could use your money!

I'll sound pretty evil for this, but, I just can't care about livestock that much. No, I can't stand to see them being mistreated or like they're already dead when they're not, but the idea that an animal has to die to make my burger doesn't phase me. Cows are stupid. Chickens? Stupid. Pigs? Pigs are fairly intelligent, but they'd also EAT YOU if they were hungry enough. Pigs are the only ones that would make it a while in nature without human assistance. These animals have basically been engineered over centuries for us to eat. They serve absolutely no other purpose.

Ironically, many of the vegetarians that have battled it out with me eat fish, and they have absolutely no idea how many of the fish they eat are overfished, or how other species of animals are getting wiped out either by getting caught in nets with them, or being killed for being our competition.

If I could, all of my food would either be produced by me, or sourced by farmer's markets or local suppliers, but that's just not always possible. I had my own garden while I was physically able to tend to it. When I lived closer to my parents, the majority of the meat I ate was venison or elk or fish or fowl my own father had hunted.

My best friend is a pescetarian. We eat together all the time and neither of us comment on the other's eating habits. I've actually helped her source foods in the past to broaden her vegetarian diet and find foods she feels good about eating. I eat vegetarian meals with her all the time. I once accidentally fed her chicken and felt horrible about it, not amused or righteous. I'm not the "enemy".

Tooz likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2009 #48

Saoirse

Saoirse

Saoirse

Children can be stupid... should we eat them?

Esther likes this.
  9. Oct 7, 2009 #49

katorade

katorade

katorade

Only if they grow up to be stupid adults that ask stupid questions.

disaster117 likes this.
  10. Oct 7, 2009 #50

Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie

Heh. You said "rib". Heh. Geddit? :D

Yeah pretty much just by being human and eating in a way other than gathering berries, we're altering out environment. Period. Eating food grown locally at least minimizes the amount of petroleum products used to truck/train/barge it from one end of the country to another.

It bothers me but not enough to stop eating meat. I love animals -- all animals, even the stupid ones, including stupid people. And I do feel badly I guess that animals have to die. But like it or not, humans are omnivores and I need protein -- animal protein -- to thrive. The only thing I can do is try to eat animals that have been grown, and killed, in as humane way as possible. Plus, if humans didn't eat animals, other predators would, and I guarantee that the way predators kill is far less humane than how it's done in humanely run farms (non-humane methods in factory farming is another story...)

Yeah, uhm, if you're eating fish you're not a vegetarian. And I think it's easier for people to eat fish because they don't have big brown eyes, which is really unfair to the fish because they, too, feel pain and they usually suffocate to death, which is an AWFUL way to die, not to mention the nets which yes, are indiscriminate in what they catch and kill.

Actually I've found that children are quite smart. It's adults who can be stupid. ;)

11. Oct 9, 2009 #51

lypeaches

lypeaches

lypeaches

12. Oct 9, 2009 #52

Esther

Esther

Esther

Queen Black Acid

13. Oct 9, 2009 #53

Tooz

Tooz

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ

I don't have a problem with vegetarianism or veganism. I have been trying to figure out good ways to make meatless dishes for dinner parties for some time now-- I have been known to eat tofu-based chinese food, too. :) Also, there is a company that makes the most fabulous vegan "chicken" noodle soup cup ever. I would take it over a can of Campbell's, actually...and then have a giant burger for dinner. :D

What I cannot stand is militant veggies who sit there screaming about how terrible meat is and omg that sandwich will kill you omg. I think that is why some normal veggies have trouble with overbearing meat-eaters-- it's a backlash from some psycho who wouldn't shut up. Eat your food, I'll eat mine.

14. Oct 9, 2009 #54

lypeaches

lypeaches

lypeaches

Esther, I understand the convenience factor of the terminology...but as a person who was raised a strict vegetarian, it's annoying when some people INSIST that they're vegetarian when in fact they eat fish & seafood. We're not talking about people who do it to save an explanation...folks who sincerely believe they're vegetarians.

PS. I am no longer a vegetarian, as I no longer believe that it's a SIN to eat meat....but at least half my meals are still vegetarian as I enjoy the food.

15. Oct 9, 2009 #55

jamie

jamie

jamie

...tickled...

I just have a silly story that goes along with this.

Speaking the other day about dumb questions vegetarians get -

I was talking to some co-workers and mentioned that Justin was a vegetarian.

Co-Worker R asks: "Does he eat fish?"

Me: "Nope, R, nothing with a head."

Co-Worker R: "Do fish have heads?"

Me: "Uhm...(speechless for a minute)...yeah, that's where there eyes are."

Co-Worker R: "oh yeah..."

Frankhw likes this.
  16. Oct 10, 2009 #56

Saoirse

Saoirse

Saoirse

I have never, ever come across an 'extreme' vegetarian, who obnoxiously yells at people for eating meat. Dont think any of my friends have either(and they would sure tell me, as Im a veghead myself).

17. Oct 10, 2009 #57

Tooz

Tooz

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ

Okay, well, I have. Many times. I'd say more often than not.

18. Oct 10, 2009 #58

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

Neither have I, though some of my friends tell me they've met such specimens. I HAVE met a few carnivores -- generally at banquets -- who freaked out when they realized I wasn't eating meat, but I put their dismay down to insecurity.:)

19. Oct 10, 2009 #59

Friday

Friday

Friday

Not fap material. Bye!

I have. I've had to deal with jerks who try to gross you out of eating the meal in front of you. I saw at one poster on this thread that I imagine would behave like an ass every chance s/he got.

20. Oct 10, 2009 #60

Esther

Esther

Esther

Queen Black Acid

That must be an unfortunate group of vegetarians you know then. I've only known a handful of militant, obnoxious vegetarians in my entire life.