Asian Pickled Vegetables

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

fatlane

Starting Arvist
I'm starting to be addicted to these bad boys. I buy a box of pickled carrots and radishes at the Vietnamese market for about $2 and they last about a week if I don't have any help eating them.

There's a gentle sour taste to them, but the vegetable flavor goes right along with them and they're a great foil to a sweet or savory dish. They're also great in soups. I just get a package of pho noodles (again, thanks, Viet market!) and cook 'em up, then toss in some green onion, cilantro, and pickled vegetables. One time I added barbacoa that I got from the local Fiesta and died, went to heaven, then turned around and came back for a second bite. Best. Soup. Ever... at least for that week.

And then I found myself adding them to other Mexican dishes and having a ball with them. They're quite a versatile garnish and they can bring out flavors in the food in ways I didn't always appreciate before.

I can't stand dill pickles, but I love the Asian pickles. Yessiree, Bob!

MissToodles

dead peasant
is there a particular brand you buy? sounds up my alley and there's a Vietnamese restaurant/market a few blocks from my campus.

fatlane

Starting Arvist
It's just the kind the store puts together. They're in a little clear plastic box, swimmin' around in the brine. Little deli price tag on top with a barcode.

Delicious as hell. I'mma get some to snack on now.

AuntHen

Chicken Whisperer 🐔
DM Supporter
I'm starting to be addicted to these bad boys. I buy a box of pickled carrots and radishes at the Vietnamese market for about $2 and they last about a week if I don't have any help eating them.

There's a gentle sour taste to them, but the vegetable flavor goes right along with them and they're a great foil to a sweet or savory dish. They're also great in soups. I just get a package of pho noodles (again, thanks, Viet market!) and cook 'em up, then toss in some green onion, cilantro, and pickled vegetables. One time I added barbacoa that I got from the local Fiesta and died, went to heaven, then turned around and came back for a second bite. Best. Soup. Ever... at least for that week.

And then I found myself adding them to other Mexican dishes and having a ball with them. They're quite a versatile garnish and they can bring out flavors in the food in ways I didn't always appreciate before.

I can't stand dill pickles, but I love the Asian pickles. Yessiree, Bob!
That sounds good. I love pickled (just about) everything. I have a vinegar fetish I think :rolleyes::D I am addicted to seasoned Rice Wine vinegar. That with a little olive oil makes the best salad dressing. I also mash it with avacado to make a creamier dressing.

Chef

Galloping Gourmet
You mean a local preparation, like the in-store deli puts together in most supermarkets, only with those special asian spices... Hmm..

fatlane

Starting Arvist
Yeah, in-store Asian deli. That's the best way of putting it. But knowing where to look for stuff is important in Asian markets. They don't follow the "rules" of American markets, where all the produce is on one end, then the canned stuff, then the breakfasts, then the soups and boxed dinners, then the frozen stuff, etc. In an Asian market, one aisle does not necessarily lead to the next.

I've got the Viet market, a Chinese market, and an Indian market close to my house and all of them are delightfully idiosyncratic.

LovelyLiz

You like Korean style pickled vegetables, like Kimchi?
I just had this super delicious dinner at a Korean place the other night of hot kimchi and tofu. Good stuff. :eat2:

fatlane

Starting Arvist
Love the kimchi. Also bulgogi, but that should be for another thread.

I also like pickled onions and pickled green tomatoes.

jcas50

Liberal Scum
I was in Flushing, Queens, last weekend, and I went to a Shabu shabu restaurant - Korean make your own hot pots, with sauces available for all and you choose the ingredients for your hot pot. The dining tables have built in hot plates, and you boil your dinner as you are eating it. Great fun. Anyway the kimchee was terrific.

fatlane

Starting Arvist
Chinese hot pots are similar. Next time I'm in Beijing, I'll have to have a freind with me to enjoy some hot pot with.

Latest posts