Quantcast

Aspiring Insomniac

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
Tongue in cheek of course. I wish I was asleep right now. I’ve been insanely busy and mentally tapped out since pretty much immediately following the holidays. But the last few weeks I’ve added the inability to sleep to my resume!

How exciting is that?

Like I said, I’ve been busy since the New Year started and dealing with some major life issues (professional and personal). But I can’t pin down why exactly I can’t sleep?

I’ll be honest: I’m a little afraid of my boss right now. She is a good boss overall, but she is significantly smarter than me and can be a bit impatient. She puts me on my heels pretty much daily. Very much a “shoot first, ask questions later” mentality.

But she’s not the reason.

I work away from home (induces a lot of strain on the relationship), but we’ve been doing it long enough and I know that’s not the reason. Plus we’re on the home stretch.

Our finances are stretched thin right now, as we are maintaining 2 homes. But that’s not it.

I honestly can’t pin down why I can’t sleep anymore. And honestly I suspect it isn’t just one thing but sort of “death by a thousand paper cuts.” A little of everything aggregating and making for a lot of sleepless nights.

I’m not even sure why I’m sharing this. I wonder if anyone can relate, maybe?

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
I can relate...😞

I regularely sleep about 4-5 hours, rarely 6h.

When things are really bad and I cannot get into sleep I am awake at 3.30 a.m. and get up at 6 a.m. Some months are better, some are worse.

Fortunately the people around me are not aware that I sleep only a few hours every day. I can hide that from them.
Unfortunately my boss did recognize - apparently I am sometimes less focussed.🙄

But unlike you, I know what keeps me awake. It is something I cannot change right now.

Giving any advise is pretty useless, I guess.
Whatever I try, it doesn't really work for me either...

happily_married

Sorry to hear it, @DazzlingAnna. I don’t know what’s more frustrating, knowing and being unable to change something or just not knowing?

I think for me it’s a combination of circumstances that just overwhelm me sometimes. When I say “overwhelm” I mean mentally. I can’t turn my brain off, and end up unable to sleep as a result of thinking too much about too many different things.

I still function almost completely normally at work though in the past couple weeks I’ve had a few colleagues ask if I was okay.:oops:

I go to the weight room and work it hard and before the Coronavirus scare I’d follow up the weights with Judo practice and train hard, hoping to exhaust myself so I’d sleep. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I’d just be extra sore the next day. Now the weight room is shit down and Judo is on hold until the excitement dies down.

I was also supposed to attend a 4 session sleep insomnia class. That also got cancelled.

Good times.

happily_married

Philosophical question...
both is frustrating - each in it's own way.

I prefer knowing - whenever circumstances are changing I'd know what to change.
To be honest I think I’d rather just not know. I think it would be awful to know but be powerless to do anything. I think all of us deal with that from time to time though. That is, circumstances we can’t control.

At least for me I feel by not knowing there’s always still the chance I can change it. If I could ever pin it down.

extra_m13

sleep is one asset in our lives and it can be disrupted in so many ways and yet it is so important for us to function properly and have a chance to get some success .i would not say i am bad at sleeping but sometimes it takes me a lot to finally be there dreaming and else and you have to get up at the same time the next day so it can be difficult. a lot of things in our mind mess up our dream, but i am trying to make it a priority in terms of reserving time and having a routine and not playing with my sleeping time

Pattie Vincent

How much sleep is enough? well, that varies from person to person.
At some point, many adults experience short-term insomnia, which lasts for days or weeks. It's usually the result of stress or a traumatic event. But some people have long-term insomnia that lasts for a month or more. Insomnia may be the primary problem, or it may be associated with other medical conditions or medications.
You don't have to put up with sleepless nights. Simple changes in your daily habits can often help. If it doesn't works, try to seek professional help.

happily_married

@Pattie Vincent I seem to be over the worst of it for now. I have been going to bed a little later. I used to go at ~10p and lately I have been up past 11p regardless of what night of the week it is.

I had no idea how bad it must have been but I mentioned it at work yesterday and The part of my team who was at the office both were like “yeah, we knew something was wrong!”

I still don’t know what prompted it. I have a lot of extra stressors in my life right now but I had them before the insomnia started. And I’ve made a few modifications, like I said staying up later. I stop drinking after 8p though the sleep doctor I saw said within 4 hours of going to bed is preferred.

Who knows? Just glad to be sleeping a little better for now.

op user

I can relate...😞

I regularely sleep about 4-5 hours, rarely 6h.

Unfortunately, my boss did recognize - apparently I am sometimes less focused.🙄

But unlike you, I know what keeps me awake. It is something I cannot change right now.
For operational reasons I just saw the comments: I had the issue of practically falling asleep during some presentations. One was a boring presentation of a new project in a call center by a poor fellow worker. He had prepare noting on a power point, it was a summer late afternoon (I was working 15:00-21:00) and the then SO told I was falling asleep in an obvious way. When similar thing was about to happen (like my eyes closing) in more serious / important positions I made a personal SOP never to walk into a meeting without a double espresso.

So far it works and I make sure I have enough capsules to last me the week.

Latest posts