• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Attention dog lovers: a different kind of Valentine

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrie

Hi, everyone. :)

In addition to our much-loved "Cupid" event here at Dims, I wanted to invite you all to send a very different kind of Valentine, as well.

There is a dog rescue organization called, "Dogs Deserve Better", and they're dedicated to helping dogs who live their lives outside, chained or penned up. This is a particular soft spot of mine. Dogs are not solitary creatures; they are pack animals, and to force one to live its life apart from his/her family, isolated from them is unfathomable to me. And that's not even to mention the physical hardships of living outside, dealing with extreme cold this time of year, especially.

Anyway, "Dogs Deserve Better" runs an annual Valentine card event, where they ask groups like Cub Scouts and Brownies and church groups and such to hand-make beautiful Valentine cards that are sent anonymously to dog owners who keep their dogs chained or penned outside. The cards are meant to be from the dog, to their owner, and the sentiment of them is generally "I love you, please let me live inside with you!", so it's a positive message, not a scolding one. Here's an example of one:

vb30.jpg

Once these cards are made, they're sent to "Dogs Deserve Better", and the organization mails them anonymously to dog owners on their list. How do they get this "list", you ask? Well, that's where you and I come in. They have a form on their website where you can anonymously tell them addresses of dog owners who chain or pen their dogs, and they will send them a card. I have my doubts about how many dog owners who actually treat their dog this way will have an epiphany from a card and bring their dog inside, but y'know what? If it even helps one dog, then it was worth it, in my book.

Anyone who's interested, please go to their site: Dogs Deserve Better

I'll be sending one to a man near me who keeps his four Beagles in a little elevated pen outside, and it breaks my heart every time I drive past his house. It's legal to keep dogs that way in my area, so there's not much I can do besides this, at this point. At least it's something.

Also, they need other kind of help, too - if you have a group that wants to make cards, or you'd like to sponsor the postage, etc.

Thanks for reading! :)

~Carrie

P.S.: I'd also ask anyone who wants to have a debate re. whether it's okay to keep a dog chained or penned outside to please start a new thread about it - I'd really appreciate not letting this thread get mucked up with a messy discussion like that. This thread's only intended purpose is to inform people of something they might want to participate in. Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back