Author: FA's Make Me Want To Be Thin

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by Jay West Coast, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Jan 6, 2008 #1

Jay West Coast

Jay West Coast

Jay West Coast

Witness to the Thickness

I was flipping through the cover article in the SFWeekly this morning at my local coffeeshop. The author had weight loss surgery two years ago, but I decided to read it anyway out of pure curiosity. The author goes on about how she actually cherished being 360, but in the world in which fat people have to live, it became "unreasonable" to not to live as a thin person.

As she discusses her life experience being fat (which is well written and I think people ought to be more educated to what the fat experience is), she writes a chapter about dating FA's:

After reading this, I felt really strange. Is it true? Are we weirdoes? If this liberal ultra-accepting newspaper labels us as fetishistic bucketcases, maybe I've been thinking of this all wrong.

What are your experiences with FA's? Are they the wonderful intentions of creation made to appreciate fat women for the beautiful beings they are, or a collection of fellers who could use some counseling? Was this author's experience indicative, or unfortunate and off-base?

(And, yes, part of me is posting this to hear self-affirming points that FA's are not freaks.)

2. Jan 6, 2008 #2

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher

'fraid so Jay. Some of you FA's are total pervs lacking in the social restraints the good Lord gave to the common mutt. Meeting one off the bat can be traumatizing enough to make you hit anyone who calls you beautiful as hard as you can and then run away. These circus freaks give the rest of you a bad name and unfortunatley they seem to be the ones who do most of the talking, social restraint not being one of their strong points.

Donna, toni and BigBeautifulMe like this.
  3. Jan 6, 2008 #3

AnnMarie

AnnMarie

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰

I can't answer this again - but you'll get plenty of "yes, you're freaks" responses, Jay. Hope you're ready for them.

The FAs I've known, loved, dated, etc... not freaks. Good men who find something "unconventional" to be attractive and desireable. I don't consider the rude/tactless/pure fetish cases FAs at all... so that's not part of my experience with "effays".

Freaks to a woman like that because she hated herself and all her fat represents - hard not to see a freak in someone who likes all you loathe.

4. Jan 6, 2008 #4

Ash

Ash

Ash

Smash DimensionsModel

Some of you are.

I kid, I kid.

There are PLENTY of good, loving, normal FAs out there. I've met them, been friends with them, and dated them. What your writer friend here experienced is definitely NOT the norm of real-life FAs.

I think that what the writer was experiencing has less to do with general fat admiration and more to do with a lack of social graces. Sure, it might be appealing (in the dark recesses of the normal FA's mind) to see a Barbie type overtaken by a big fattie. But a well-adjusted FA isn't going to mention that to said fattie. Especially upon first interaction, and especially when the girl is so obviously not comfortable with her size.

I think this is a case of a guy who is letting his fantasies carry him away a little bit. Is there room for squashing fantasies and the like in fat admiration? Of course. Should he have blurted it out as if he were talking about a change in the weather? Probably not.

Also, I think it's important to note that weird and otherwise not-socially-acceptable fantasies exist in all people. Guys who like thin girls are into weird things, too. For some reason, though, we never hear "guys who like thin girls are FREAKS" (except maybe within our own little subculture here).

So no, FAs aren't freaks. But there are certainly some freaks who are FAs. And there are some freaks who are fat women, too. It all works out.

5. Jan 6, 2008 #5

isotope

isotope

isotope

What?

That made me lolzerz. Mostly because as many there are well read and intelligent admirers in our community, there's about five million times more weirdos. That goes for any part of society though. peeple r wrd.

6. Jan 6, 2008 #6

MissToodles

MissToodles

MissToodles

dead peasant

There are a lot of maladjusted people online, not just endemic in this community. People don't feel free to censor themselves, so you end up speaking to a lot of um to put it mildly interesting types. It just ends up becoming happy fantasy land, where some parties see the other person just like a phone sex operator.

7. Jan 6, 2008 #7

sweet&fat

sweet&fat

sweet&fat

My aim is true.

Clearly this guy was a creep who is also an FA. I guess the question is if you believe that the percentage of creeps among FAs is higher than the percentage of creeps among non-FAs. My instinct is no, there are creeps among any population, but I do wonder sometimes if FAs "gone wrong" try to pull off bad behavior more often than their non-FA counterparts because they think BBWs are easier targets.

Sweet Tooth likes this.
  8. Jan 6, 2008 #8

Tooz

Tooz

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ

Echo, echo, echo.

The FA community has a lot of weird people in it. So does the non-FA rest of the world (tm). As with everything, though, there are fantastic people within the community. The problem is, every time someone has a bad experience, you are far more likely to hear about it. "My husband likes large women, and he treats me wonderfully. I cherish every day we have together!" doesn't attract readers like "and THEN he wanted me to put my _____ on his _____! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?"

I have seen the freaks, and I have also seen some respectable guys who are FAs. Like "normal" dating, finding a nice person is pretty much a crap shoot. That article except is depressing, though.

Green Eyed Fairy likes this.
  9. Jan 6, 2008 #9

goofy girl

goofy girl

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn

I totally agree. There are some wonderful, intelligent, kind FA's out there, however, they seem to be the minority. Or at least, as Lilly mentioned, they aren't as prominent.

Sadly, the article you quoted seems to describe almost every FA I ever knew. Most of the FA's that I have encountered make me feel used (for the belly, the boobs, the arm fat or whatever it is they are into) and not at all that they genuinely want to know me as a person. They feel that because they admire my body and "treat me like a Goddess" (code word for oral sex, I guess?) meant that I should be OK with them grabbing my fat and shaking it or using the back of my knee as a vagina. Ummmm yeah..NO.

No idea if any of this makes any sense (what else is new??), but..anyway, I don't think that just being an FA makes someone a freak, but there are definitely FA freaks out there-lots of them.

Green Eyed Fairy and Fascinita like this.
  10. Jan 6, 2008 #10

Forgotten_Futures

Forgotten_Futures

Forgotten_Futures

The *other* Holy Trinity

All other arguments about what is and isn't an FA and what fetishes are inherently FA-ish and which just involve fatness aside...

Freakishness, in most any case, is subjective. Even freaks often consider themselves to be so. In the case of fat chicks and FA's, the underlying difference arises between the fat chicks and FA's on an individual level.

You have your fat chicks who are, if not necessarily overjoyed at being fat, are at least accepting of the fact and not grossed out by their own existence. On the other hand, you have the fat people who revile themselves for getting/being fat.

No matter what you do, you aren't going to seem normal to a fat chick who hates herself if you profess, honestly or otherwise, to like her because of or in spite of her fatness. She's as likely to be disgusted by you and your feelings as she is of herself, and that's never a good relationship. You might even be lucky enough to link fatness to sexual pleasure in her head, but that'll possibly cause an even bigger rift if she differentiates what gets you on and her as being two separate things. Eventually something will fail, usually badly.

Then again, even the fat chicks who are at peace (or better) with themselves might acknowledge you as a strange person for deviating from the social norm and wanting them for them.

So yeah, we're freaks. But is that entirely a bad thing?

11. Jan 6, 2008 #11

Jasminium

Jasminium

Jasminium

sippin' beer thru straws

I think the author is being a bit wacko herself. I couldn't imagine ruling out an entire group of people just because some were nuts. If I did that, there wouldn't be anyone left to date.

AnnMarie and Ruby Ripples like this.
  12. Jan 6, 2008 #12

Fascinita

Fascinita

Fascinita

Jeez, we're blessed!

Both: Several really "not well" men who bordered on abusive and/or self-hating (which manifested as secretiveness and dishonesty) and/or manipulative and/or just plain weird. And a handful of really nice, regular guys. At least in my case, the author of that piece had experiences that are somewhat indicative of the situation. Though I don't think her take paints the entire picture. For instance, when I was thinner, I met weirdos, too. What's more, although I think my life would be different as a thin person, I would never get the surgery.

To me the bottom line, as far as whether life would be better as a thin girl, is that the men who wouldn't want me as a fattie are probably not the kind of men that I'd want in turn. I can't think in terms of "what if I were thinner." Well, what if I lived in a land of chocolate? That might be nice, too. But it's a dream. I have to live my life as it is now. I can work toward becoming thinner, if that's important to me. But it's not going to make the world a nicer place, and it's not going to keep me from feeling scorned when the boyfriend who'll date me at 125 lbs leaves me when I start gaining weight again. Life seems too short to live worried about keeping the approval of others. I do understand where this woman is coming from, though, and I have lived stories similar to those she wrote about.

I think that this author probably also experienced the whole nine yards of fat discrimination--not just in dating, but in the way people look/don't look at you, the fear of not being able to find work because one is fat, ongoing isolation, loneliness, all of the other stuff we suffer through. Not all of us are isolated or lonely or worried about not finding work, it must be said. But I don't think it's right to say that what this woman experienced is just something you can shrug off and rise above. Not everyone is equipped to do that. It takes years of patience and self-work, at least as far as I know.

Still. Surgery seems just too much of an extreme to go to to get more and less-weird men to pay attention to me. (Of course, some people have to have the surgery for the sake of staving off some other health condition. Not to mention that there can be health problems at heavier weights--though I've known people who had the surgery, and sometimes it seems they traded in one set of problems for another.) And as I said, being thinner does not mean the world is any nicer. There are weird men who like thin women exclusively, too. So I think you have to be realistic and make a life for yourself NOW. Work with what you have, and don't give out your phone number to people you don't know. ;)

Dr. Feelgood likes this.
  13. Jan 6, 2008 #13

sweet&fat

sweet&fat

sweet&fat

My aim is true.

Yeah, many do not know the difference between admiration and objectification. Are FAs any more guilty of this than others?

14. Jan 6, 2008 #14

goofy girl

goofy girl

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn

Like others have mentioned this is probably an issue that affects all sorts of fetishes, or preferences. I'm sure it's all the same no matter what ..."community"?..you are in. But, this is the one I know! ;)

15. Jan 6, 2008 #15

Mini

Mini

Mini

Right, not nice

The Internet is a double-edged sword: It gives everyone a voice while reminding us that some people should be silenced. Or, in other words, you're going to meet some nice, normal people, but the ones that you'll remember are the socially inept jackasses. I imagine it's exacerbated somewhat due to our community's relatively small size; sorta how nothing travels faster than bad news.

Does that make any sense?

16. Jan 6, 2008 #16

goofy girl

goofy girl

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn

It does :)

Oh, and I really hope the woman that wrote that article doesn't think that if she loses weight, then all of a sudden she's gonna find Prince Charming a week later. She'll probably have to weed out a few more freaks before she does.

17. Jan 6, 2008 #17

Forgotten_Futures

Forgotten_Futures

Forgotten_Futures

The *other* Holy Trinity

Objectification always comes into play somewhere. If you masturbate, you're objectifying someone or something in order to get off. Thus far in life I've come to the tentative conclusion that if someone turns you on simply by existing, it's probably not admiration.

For instance, there's a young woman who works in a pizza shop next door to where I work. She's pregnant, and showing nicely. I find this a highly arousing thing. However, outside of this pregnancy, I never paid much attention to her - she's simply not my type of person. I'm objectifiying her as a pregnant woman simply by being turned on at her current state. Admittedly, I am somewhat ashamed at myself for this. Still, I admit it's a fact of being human. It happens. Not objectifying people in any way is effectively dooming yourself to a life without arousal. Does that mean it's okay? In the confines of a relationship where both partners are okay with it, sure. In normal day-to-day stuff, yeah. Telling random fat people you want to see them squashing someone without so much as accounting for their opinion on the matter? Defintely not okay.

18. Jan 6, 2008 #18

Blackjack

Blackjack

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa

So basically, some FA's are total perverted creeps who objectify fat women.

It's also worth noting that there's some men who are total perverted creeps and who objectify women.

Who would've thought that a difference in preferred body shape might mean that we're like normal guys?

So the guy was a fucking creep. Lots of guys are, regardless of what they like.

19. Jan 6, 2008 #19

goofy girl

goofy girl

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn

I think that's the point almost all of us are getting at...regardless of preference, there's creeps and there's non creeps.

Personally, I have met alot of creepy FA's..however, I was also looking for FA's, so I probably met more of them than other types.

This is giving me a headache.:(

20. Jan 6, 2008 #20

Blackjack

Blackjack

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa

Yeah, but I did the SparkNotes version for people like myself with limited attention span. :p