Quantcast

Baby, it's cold outside, so whatcha got cooking?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Brenda

Yesterday I roasted a chicken, made coleslaw from a Bobby Flay recipe and DH made mashed potatoes. The coleslaw was far more tasty than I would have imagined. Tonight we had sandwiches with the left over chicken and the remaining coleslaw.

Tomorrow I think I will make chicken Parmesan and cauliflower gratin.

SocialbFly

I am keeping Tina!
Yesterday I roasted a chicken, made coleslaw from a Bobby Flay recipe and DH made mashed potatoes. The coleslaw was far more tasty than I would have imagined. Tonight we had sandwiches with the left over chicken and the remaining coleslaw.

Tomorrow I think I will make chicken Parmesan and cauliflower gratin.
what time should i be over? :)

MissToodles

dead peasant
Hubby had jury duty on Tuesday and got home much earlier than a normal work day. So instead of turning the heat on in the house, we made some delicious soup with carrots, celery, onions, garlic and a new broth we had bought. It was Thai Coconut Curry. Then I added some crushed red pepper flakes and the juice of one lime. After simmering and using the inversion blender we brought the temp up and added some frozen cheese tortellini to cook through. Nuked some spinach and added that to it. It was delicious. More like what Rachel Ray calls a "stewp".

Plus we made some homemade beer bread which bakes for an hour. Then we left the oven door cracked open to get the residiual heat. We ate that Tuesday and Wedsnesday. The soup was something new and we both enjoyed it a great deal.

Tonite it is fish sticks, but the oven will be on for a little while at least.
That soup combo seems really interesting and I think I'll give it a try.
I recently made a vegetarian chili, I put in two heads of roasted garlic and I caramelized 3 lbs. of onions. I have a mandoline, otherwise I would never be able to handle thinly slicing so many onions at a time. added a whole bunch of other things, including this Czech beer (a swarzbier, I go with very full bodied, dark beers when I cook) I picked up at a beverage depot. It was tasty, but not a fan of soy crumbles. next time, I would just use all beans and eat it over rice.

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
That spaghetti sauce and sausage has me salivating right now.

I have chicken vegetable soup simmering at the moment. I can't wait to dive in. :)
Thanks TFG. I was really impressed with how this sauce served as a meal. I may make it again and add beans next time. A warm and crusty piece of bread and it's the perfect cold weather comfort food to eat while watching someone else shovel snow from the window.

toni

In the know
My favorite winter dish is goolash. :eat2: I made some the other day and am loving the leftovers.

D_A_Bunny

www.peaceoneday.org
That soup combo seems really interesting and I think I'll give it a try.
I recently made a vegetarian chili, I put in two heads of roasted garlic and I caramelized 3 lbs. of onions. I have a mandoline, otherwise I would never be able to handle thinly slicing so many onions at a time. added a whole bunch of other things, including this Czech beer (a swarzbier, I go with very full bodied, dark beers when I cook) I picked up at a beverage depot. It was tasty, but not a fan of soy crumbles. next time, I would just use all beans and eat it over rice.
It was even better the second day. I don't know if you only eat vegetarian, but the broth is chicken broth based infused with flavors. It is really good and hubby has already said he wants to eat it again.

If you do like meat and like cooking with beer, I make a tri tip roast that is awesome. 3 lb hunk of beef seared off in a dutch oven, then sprinkle with a packet of onion soup mix, slather with a can of mushroom soup and pour over the whole thing one bottle of good beer (we use Sam Adams). Cook on simmer for 3 hours flipping the meet every half hour to 45 minutes. Stir the gravy when flipping. Serve with something you like to have with gravy because it is really good.

mpls_girl26

I just baked up some bacon, it's so easy to cook that way. But for me, cold weather means soup. Yesterday I made some potato-leek soup, I am addicted to it, I make it at least twice a month, and it's delicious leftover the next day. I will probably be making a pot of chicken stock next week, chickens were on sale BOGO. The stock freezes so well and then I can make any kind of soup I want! Somehow, the smell of soup simmering just warms me up all over.
Care to share your recipe? I've yet to find one that I absolutely love and reminds me of the soup I had in Ireland.

Miss Vickie

Toni, if you'd share that goulash recipe I'd be most obliged.

This morning I threw together a Dublin Coddle -- with lots of help from my kitchen elves, Burtimus and Abbynormal -- and it smells divine. Sadly, it'll take six hours to cook, but I'll be ready when it's done.

For those who don't know, a Dublin (or "Irish") coddle is a stew that has bacon, sausages, potatoes, onions and carrots. It's all layered together in a crock pot with a little chicken stock thrown in. The resulting melange is just incredible. YUM! :eat1: Perfect on a cold, snowy Alaskan day.

IdahoCynth

Cockchafer
I pressured cooked a small beef roast and made some turkey taco meat. I hate having to cook when I come home from work.

Latest posts