Banana Puddin'

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

FatAndProud

Hello y'all,

Being the Yankee that I am, I had never heard of banana pudding. I'm reaching out to fellow foodees in hope to find an authentic southern recipe, so that I don't mess it up! I want to make it for a good, ol' southern man as a gift because he has hinted that he likes it. I know it's relatively simple, but I want to make his taste buds dance lol

Ms Charlotte BBW

Fantasy Land
Hello y'all,

Being the Yankee that I am, I had never heard of banana pudding. I'm reaching out to fellow foodees in hope to find an authentic southern recipe, so that I don't mess it up! I want to make it for a good, ol' southern man as a gift because he has hinted that he likes it. I know it's relatively simple, but I want to make his taste buds dance lol
My son loves banana pudding and since I am not a fan of boxed pudding mixes, this is the recipe I use. It's simple enough, yet very good!

Old Fashioned Banana Pudding

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
I'm not a fan of bananas. However, if you want a southern-style recipe I'll refer you to the best New Orleans' based chef I know, Emeril Lagasse.

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
since moving south, i have learned to love banana pudding. for me, it is not so much the type of pudding...i use instant vanilla pudding...but it is

a. how far ahead you make it
b. how many banana/vanilla wafers you use
c. meringue vs whipped cream/cool whip

banana pudding seems to be a personal preference sort of thing. my hub, who grew up in the charlotte region, likes me to make the banana pudding the day before we serve it. that gives the cookies time to suck up some of the moisture from the pudding and get that weird soft texture that he loves. as long as you give it a few hours in the fridge to meld, anything short of super hard cookies is good.

also, the key is to get the cookie/banana/pudding ratio right. some folks just line the bottom with cookies and banana and then add the pudding as the filling and top with whipped cream/meringue on top. I tend to do the layer thing. cookies/bananas/pudding/cookies/banana/pudding/whipped cream.

i have had banana pudding with meringue, which is less sweet and very airy. it is a nice offset to the dense pudding, but honestly, i prefer whipped cream. usually i cheat and use cool whip, but have had it with honest to goodness whipped cream and it is delish.

Tracyarts

" Use the recipe on the nilla wafers box "

OMG, yes!

That's how my mom always made it. Cooking the custard from scratch isn't that difficult and it tastes so much better than box pudding. Also, the meringue topping is optional. She never made it, she just covered the top of the pudding with a layer of the cookies.

ConnieLynn

has left the building.
I love the meringue topping, but only make it if I am going to serve the pudding within a few hours. It can get sticky or tough if you plan to leave it in the fridge for long.

Also, do not overcook the pudding in the oven. I was excited the other day when my local diner had real banana pudding on the menu. Both the bananas and the meringue were chewy -- from too much time in the oven.

For those of you scared by a recipe that says 'use a double boiler', just use a metal bowl on top of one of your regular stovetop pots. This recipe is really easier than you think and real custard/pudding is the bomb :)

AuntHen

Chicken Whisperer 🐔
DM Supporter
This thread just reminded me of my Dad. He LOVES and I mean LOVES banana pudding! He didn't make his pudding from scratch but would only use the vanilla "cook and serve" type (he despises instant). He would just pour this over layers of fresh sliced bananas and vanilla wafers. He loved to eat it warm, while I preferred it chilled (I love when the cookies soften).

Thanks for this thread! You brought up some good memories for me :happy:

Ohio Lady

My son request banana pudding for Thanksgiving every year from me.. no one else is allowed to make it according to him.. I use the boxed Banana pudding mix instead of Vanilla pudding mix..

ReneeD70

I am a Yankee too and we've always eaten banana pudding...well as long as I can remember anyway. Lately, I've used the Paula Deen recipe and my husband who hates bananas, LOVES this recipe. lol
I've made it numerous times since I discovered it. Darn PD! <3

Rojodi

I'm from the North, but no Yankee: I'm in upstate NY and not in New England. We had banana pudding for as long as I can remember: My mother made it with boxed vanilla pudding mix, bananas, and Nilla Wafers.

For Thanksgiving, I would make some for my in-laws, using a basic vanilla pudding recipe and adding banana to it. If I made it at their house, I never had to clean up, since someone would offer to - and scrape all the leftover bits. LOL

Aust99

I want someone to make me this!!!! :smitten::eat2:

I wonder what biscuits to use here in Australia instead....

Latest posts