BBW’s and the Fashion Industry

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

There are so many great plus-sized videos out there. Some of my favorites are those by Austrian plus-sized model Claudia Floraunce on YouTube. She is incredibly sexy and not a bit afraid to show off her body. Check it out!

DazzlingAnna

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Supporting Member
Today I was surprised to see this TV advertisement.
Definitely plus size & swimwear.
I like it.

it is a nice video indeed.
I had a look at their plus size swimwear section - and it was quite sobering unless you like black and high waist cut swimwear. Only a few pieces at all (a whole collection of 18 different pieces, only a handful are colorful...).
Compared to the other 800 pieces for "regular" sizes...
The advert is nice though.

Reactions: Tad

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
These two issues illustrate persisting problems with reference to the Fat Fashion Industry:

There are so many great plus-sized videos out there. Some of my favorites are those by Austrian plus-sized model Claudia Floraunce on YouTube. She is incredibly sexy and not a bit afraid to show off her body. Check it out!

"Sexy" and "not a bit afraid to show off her body" ..... and a delight for all hip&ass fans = YES!

Serious and realistic plus-size swim wear presentation = NO!

Aside from the fact that the majority even of body confident women are not interested in showcasing what is in society's perception their main figure "flaw" - instead opting for the "flattering" approach emphasing their favorite body parts. When looking for swim wear, all women - not the Insta-model crowd - regardless of size are looking for a swim suit to SWIM in (big surprise... :rolleyes:) - or move around in at the beach/pool.

The model can do none of that in the 4 presented swim suits because they simply don't fit her.
With her hips, she has a really long torso, so all of the suits are way too short. This is a question of pattern & cut, not of chosen size btw.; a swim suit can be baggy & too large but still too short. (I have a long shoulder/bust area, so I know what I'm writing about). Meaning - and you can already see that if you look for it - the neckholder/straps cut badly into her shoulders/neck making movement difficult and even painful in a rather short time span. The bottom is so stretched that any swim movement will lead to the suit slipping and cutting into her butt-crack - a less thrilling experience than most guys might imagine.
And I won't even get started on the issue of where and how the swim suit's seams need to be inserted to not only look sexy, but also support good, uninhibited swimming.

This leads to the more general problem of the role all the new self-proclaimed plus-size fashion influencers play. Almost all opt for the "sex sells" approach - which again in real life, in the working world, is something app. 90% of women reserve for special occasions. So a lot of what is shown is often tight and ill-fitting ... and not really suitable for regular daily wear. Which leads us back to above discussed issues regarding the challenges of good fit for plus-sizes......

it is a nice video indeed.
I had a look at their plus size swimwear section - and it was quite sobering unless you like black and high waist cut swimwear. Only a few pieces at all (a whole collection of 18 different pieces, only a handful are colorful...).
Compared to the other 800 pieces for "regular" sizes...
The advert is nice though.

The underlying marketing issue to this question is one I've been asking myself for years as an avid fashion bargain huntress. Wearing the low end of plus-size/top-end of straight size labels (not the "designer" ones that end at size US 10/12) I have outlet shopping experience in both. I always notice that among the plus-size brands/ranges there are many more consistent non-seller items - while the (limited) number of nice, trendy pieces sells out in a flash. It sets me thinking what kind of absurd bias, poor market & target group research or whatever lets brands constantly make such bad business decisions - because that is what they are for a corporate perspective, fashion is not the focus there! Why don't they learn after making these mistakes over and over again???

SSBHM

Somehow I happened to find Shein Curvy Styles. I thought that was a interesting site or more like a series of BBW fashion. The term curvy is definitely gaining appeal, hmmm was that a pun? Well, curvy is definitely appealing to me!

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
The plus-size models are nice, but definitely not enough of them!

I agree, I would even venture to state that less plus-size models are featured than in the most recent years - and the ones shown are much closer to straight than to plus-size.

Over the past year, I have been increasingly getting the vibe that Covid19 has brought a severe backlash for all things body-positivity, not least in the field of fashion.

Rojodi

I agree, I would even venture to state that less plus-size models are featured than in the most recent years - and the ones shown are much closer to straight than to plus-size.

Over the past year, I have been increasingly getting the vibe that Covid19 has brought a severe backlash for all things body-positivity, not least in the field of fashion.

It totally agree! I've seen less and less plus-sized models on tv and in email ads. It's as if advertisers have hired the "What the industry believes is a plus-size at 8" women.

Latest posts