BBW in Academia Show Yourself

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

shellbelle

p.r.d.c.t.
i wrote a thesis and ran a research project on a few FAs and their ladyfriends in the buffalo, ny area, and i've hosted a few workshops on fat acceptance at the university at buffalo. also, i am super duper interested in understanding why fat studies, if they are ever studied, are always lumped into women's and gender studies programs... i like looking at the correlation of gender and size in our society. so uh, here i am, bbw in academia, showing myself.

shellbelle

p.r.d.c.t.
oh, also, i had originally found these forums about a year ago while doing research. strangely enough.

TygerKitty

Smart Beautiful Big Women
*SWOON*:smitten:
Is it a fetish to be attracted to smart women?...lol

--EDIT--
Oooh...wait.....talking astrophysics while eating cereal....NOT HOT!
Just saying..there is a limit!
--EDIT--
What's wrong with astrophysics over breakfast?

I have a bachelor's degree in astrophysics and am finishing my master's in Earth science this summer; I'll be done with the secondary education program in a few weeks as well!

ladle

Back on Top
What's wrong with astrophysics over breakfast?

I have a bachelor's degree in astrophysics and am finishing my master's in Earth science this summer; I'll be done with the secondary education program in a few weeks as well!
OK....I'll admit...I am a simpleton. Things that confuse me also bore me. But I am sure that there are LOADS of FA's for whom Astrophysics is second only to bellies as a turn on! Maybe if you were to align your thesis more in line with the Physics Involved In the Continual Belly Jiggle....hmmmm...

GTAFA

... also, i am super duper interested in understanding why fat studies, if they are ever studied, are always lumped into women's and gender studies programs...
I suspect it's pretty innocent. I believe people usually start out within their discipline reflecting the values they've been taught because you start with a set of terms, definitions etc. Only when you hear the prevailing language can you begin to challenge that. Challenging the conventional discourses on beauty is or at least was one of the hot spots in women's studies. Edgy topics attract attention and interest. The same edgy topic might also work in, say, information studies or religion, but that's not usually what attracts people to the discipline in the first place.

I think there's research to be done in drama concerning body image and size, both in the texts and in performance and reception. While the time-frame for cinema studies is comparatively short there may be lots to investigate there as well. I am hoping to see some cross-over: inter-disciplinary work being done where one can draw on the strengths and insights from different disciplines (e.g. drama or film, AND women's studies). In the process, the boundaries between disciplines get redrawn.

shellbelle

p.r.d.c.t.
I agree that is most likely why--after all, women's studies as paved the way for gender studies and queer studies as we know it. It's often a place where ideas that aren't discussed elsewhere can be discussed, and the multiplicative model of feminism really allows for studies of fat phobia because it looks at privilege from all angles... so, size privilege would def. fit in there as well.

I guess my only beef with it is that I feel like sociologists should be looking at this stuff as well... American studies, African-American studies, etcetc should be looking at it because (and this is coming from a tried and true women's studies scholar) things that are studied under the WS banner are not always taken as seriously. I mean, that's a whole issue itself, but I'd love to see a study on fat phobia that was qualitative and sociological in nature outside of the WS discipline. That's all.

PhatChk

Has any of you ladies has had any problem being too smart? I am a woman that has many interests. I am extremely curious. At the moment I am studying to earn my bachelors in education and ESL certification. I want to teach English in Japan. And I am a woman that is knowledgeable in computers, Asian culture, animation, computer graphics, and digital arts. I am fluent in English, and Spanish. I am currently learning Japanese and Chinese is next on the list. However, in the past when I told guys my interest I feel they get overwhelmed or maybe is just to much for them to handle.

ashmamma84

Om Namah Shivayah
Has any of you ladies has had any problem being too smart? I am a woman that has many interests. I am extremely curious. At the moment I am studying to earn my bachelors in education and ESL certification. I want to teach English in Japan. And I am a woman that is knowledgeable in computers, Asian culture, animation, computer graphics, and digital arts. I am fluent in English, and Spanish. I am currently learning Japanese and Chinese is next on the list. However, in the past when I told guys my interest I feel they get overwhelmed or maybe is just to much for them to handle.
No, not ever. My partner is a smarty just like me - both highly educated and still persuing advanced degrees. She's getting ready to start working on her PhD, actually...so the we are tightening up things as far as spending goes.

But um, back to the issue -- if a guy or girl gets overwhelmed because you're intelligent that's probably not the person you really want to be with anyway. I kinda think someone would have to really be down on themselves and have some insecurity and confidence issues if they tend to shy away from driven, educated women. I believe any self-actualized person would find someone who appreciates a...life of the mind and intellectual pursuits, to be refreshing.

So don't worry girl! Nerdy is the new sexy! :D

TygerKitty

I have been told I was "too smart"; it's just a cop-out. Such a totally lame excuse. If I can hang with my 8th grade students, teach gymnastics to 2 year olds as well as teach Earth Science to college students then there's no reason someone should feel overwhelmed. It's not as though I sit and talk about astrophysics all day long or something!

If a guy says I'm "too smart" then I steer clear of him; he's not for me... end of story.

On the other hand... I've also had a guy tell me I couldn't POSSIBLY be a physics major (this was a few years ago when I was still pursuing my degree in physics) and this was in the midst of hitting on me at a party! :doh: He graduated from the same university I did and my professors told me to stay away from him when I told them the story. This guy actually had the balls to ask me physics questions to prove I could answer them correctly and even after I answered them correctly he still said women couldn't have degrees in physics. LAME!!!!!!

TygerKitty

OK....I'll admit...I am a simpleton. Things that confuse me also bore me. But I am sure that there are LOADS of FA's for whom Astrophysics is second only to bellies as a turn on! Maybe if you were to align your thesis more in line with the Physics Involved In the Continual Belly Jiggle....hmmmm...
Awh, the universe and stars are super awesome! It's so much fun to ponder the fate of the universe when you look up at the stars rather than just look for the big dipper. And, my thesis is in science education and the advancement of women through high school --> college --> graduate degree programs in science ;).

Belly jiggle can be studied in person and in private :p

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat
I agree that is most likely why--after all, women's studies as paved the way for gender studies and queer studies as we know it. It's often a place where ideas that aren't discussed elsewhere can be discussed, and the multiplicative model of feminism really allows for studies of fat phobia because it looks at privilege from all angles... so, size privilege would def. fit in there as well.

I guess my only beef with it is that I feel like sociologists should be looking at this stuff as well... American studies, African-American studies, etcetc should be looking at it because (and this is coming from a tried and true women's studies scholar) things that are studied under the WS banner are not always taken as seriously. I mean, that's a whole issue itself, but I'd love to see a study on fat phobia that was qualitative and sociological in nature outside of the WS discipline. That's all.
Lesleigh Owen, the subject of the video tonynyc posted, is a sociologist. Since I'm now outing myself as fat studies scholar, I can attest that folks in all types of disciplines do fat studies work, and that is one of the things I like about fat studies, that it is so interdisciplinary and can't be contained in one discipline.

Yes, you'll find a lot of fat studies work under the heading of women's studies and/or gender studies, but you'll also find people in these disciplines doing fat studies work: business, philosophy, education, anthropology, psychology, geography, religious studies, history, american studies, musicology, disability studies, political studies, law, communications, film studies, art history, theater, rhetoric/composition/technical/creative writing, and english. That is by no means an exhaustive list, and does not include folks in the 'hard sciences' who are part of the academic wing of HAES studies.

I've been lucky enough to hear a lot of smart, exciting scholarship in the realm of fat studies for over 4 years now, and it is a field with a lot of incisive scholarship, with lots of room to grow. I'm glad to hear about your work, shellbelle, and would be interested to hear more about it.

soleil3313

Just keep swimming.......
I don't really like the idea of being too smart.....there may be such a thing, I suppose, but to me being smart means being open to new ways of seeing things, so if someone sees you as being too smart, then maybe they're seeing you from a perspective that you've never seen before....maybe look at it from their point of view....or, maybe they're just intimidated.....lol.

Aside from that...I taught English in France for a year and it was one of the most amazing experiences in my life! Good luck to you with your Japanese endeavor...it will be what you make of it, so live it up!!!! :)

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
The YAY Scale - we need a YAY Scale in every State & Every Bash.

Here's a nice video on the Fat People Movement & some points regarding Academia and Fat Studies (Sondra Solovay,Esq.)

VC2:Fat People Movement

1.Kelly Cochran -Phat Dancer (Phat Fly Girls - Dance Troupe)

The Dancers are gorgeous & is there some lucky BHM with them at the end of this clip.

www.bigmoves.org

----------------------------------------------------------

2. Marilyn Wann - Fat Activist - Fatso & the YAY Scale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Sondra Solovay -Lawyer - author "Tipping the Scales of Justice" -Fat Studies Project

Fenrisulfr

This was one of the first threads that I saw upon joining, and I was so happy to see it. As a neuroscience nerd as well as a bhm with a predilection for the curvier girls, well... intelligent bbw make me weak in the knees and send my heart all a-flutter.

ladle

Back on Top
Awh, the universe and stars are super awesome! It's so much fun to ponder the fate of the universe when you look up at the stars rather than just look for the big dipper. And, my thesis is in science education and the advancement of women through high school --> college --> graduate degree programs in science ;).

Belly jiggle can be studied in person and in private :p
Lucky for you I happened to pack my Jiglometer

sweet&fat

My aim is true.
Has any of you ladies has had any problem being too smart? [...] However, in the past when I told guys my interest I feel they get overwhelmed or maybe is just to much for them to handle.
I have been told I was "too smart"; it's just a cop-out.

If a guy says I'm "too smart" then I steer clear of him; he's not for me... end of story.
I have heard how "intimidating" I am, both as a PhD student and now as a professor, which just makes me laugh inside. It's true that you have to be smart and intellectually curious to be with me romantically, but that takes many forms. I never ever lord my knowledge (such as it is) over anyone and in fact love to hear what other people know/think. What I don't understand is how intelligence could ever be a turn-off? Wouldn't you be invigorated by the interesting things your partner has to discuss?

And to address another topic in this thread, I have never thought academia and fat incompatible, and I have never experienced any prejudice in my many years in grad school/at university. No one has ever assumed that I'm somehow mentally deficient for being fat. And I've been fat all my life.

I'm shocked to hear that people find fat academics odd. Am I misunderstanding something?

Fenrisulfr

And to address another topic in this thread, I have never thought academia and fat incompatible, and I have never experienced any prejudice in my many years in grad school/at university. No one has ever assumed that I'm somehow mentally deficient for being fat. And I've been fat all my life.

I'm shocked to hear that people find fat academics odd. Am I misunderstanding something?
As a somewhat intelligent fat guy, it is an idea that I've run into before. But oddly enough, I've only ever encountered it among a select few other overweight people who are surprised by what I accomplish (i.e. doing very well with academically based job/university interviews, that sort of thing). It seems like a stereotype which may have existed within the general public in the past which has since faded. But unfortunately it seems that some overweight individuals with low self esteem project their own expectations of how others must perceive them onto those they meet, and of course they are only met as well as they expect while they don't carry themselves with confidence. At least, this has been my experience of that particular stereotype. It's very sad to see. Lately I have been trying to help a gorgeous and witty bbw friend of mine through such issues.