BBW in Academia Show Yourself

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

TygerKitty

I've never experienced discrimination or felt out of place because I'm a fatty either. But, I can say early on I think my intelligence was question as a woman of color persuing higher learning though...whole other Oprah show, lol.
That's unfortunate! I've been discriminated against for being blonde... one physics professor in particular didn't take me seriously at all. It was so frustrating considering I was in two of his classes and they were both junior/senior level physics. Obviously I had made it that far SOME how, stupid man :doh: oh well... I like being a smart blonde!

TygerKitty

talk about trial by torture - all three at once :eek:
Yep! However, I don't have to defend my thesis... I just have to present it and get it approved by the school.

And... I've already passed written and oral comps!!!!!! YAY!

jewels_mystery

Urban Hippie
Lucky you - I had to a thesis :( took almost as long as the entire program. I regret the fact that I didn't immediately go for a Phd then -but, I had felt so burned out in completing the Masters Program. The happy day for me was getting the signatures of both my advisors on my thesis project and handing it off to the Bursars Office :) I would have taken Comp exams in a heartbeat.

I was fortunate that my program was a terminal Masters-but, I get that desire to go back to school as the learning is always ongoing and i think now I can view it as enjoyment as a opposed to an "ends to a means"
yuck. That sucks. I would died. Congrats on being done.

TygerKitty

BUMP

Where are the BBW of Academia hiding????
Wow, I haven't been on Dims since April but I have a subscription to this thread so it emailed me...

I'm still here haha! Still have to write my thesis :doh: but I got a teaching job so I will be busy with that!!

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Wow, I haven't been on Dims since April but I have a subscription to this thread so it emailed me...

I'm still here haha! Still have to write my thesis :doh: but I got a teaching job so I will be busy with that!!

Glad that you are still around - so jow neat to **BUMP** this thread and get your attention. Bummer that you still have to write the thesis. Good luck with the teaching job

msbard90

going to school to become a nurse anesthetist.

go life....
...... and a lot of studying :eek:

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat

Congrats! Hope it goes well.

I'm still whooping it up in academia, fwiw.

LovelyLiz

Thanks for that video -- it was so encouraging, and she's even in my hood! I would love to hang out with her sometime.

I just finished my first year in a doctoral program, studying ethics. There aren't a lot of big women (actually none, that I know of) either on the faculty here or in any of the PhD programs. Though there was one BBW at the school where I did my masters, and that was great!

Anyway...what a great thread! Great to see all the BBWs representing in the academy. :)

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
~computer information systems~
That's both good :wubu: and bad :(- wonderful to see BBW in science - bad that you would be a wonderful distraction - I hope you realize that you may be the source of increased Spaghetti code - by Distracted FAs :)

What Languages will you be studying? I assume it may be geared towards Object Oriented Program , Web Analytics and Data Warehousing -

makes one nostalgic for the

IBM Key Punch Machine

IBM Keypunch Cards

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
That's both good :wubu: and bad :(- wonderful to see BBW in science - bad that you would be a wonderful distraction - I hope you realize that you may be the source of increased Spaghetti code - by Distracted FAs :)

What Languages will you be studying? I assume it may be geared towards Object Oriented Program , Web Analytics and Data Warehousing -

makes one nostalgic for the

IBM Key Punch Machine

IBM Keypunch Cards
Gonna do Oracle and XML, Java, some Visual Basic for jobbyjobs, really...a whole bunch of crap, whatever I can get my hands on. I can't remember off the top of my head what I'm taking this Fall, though.

Latest posts