BBW in Academia Show Yourself

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

katherine22

Since I have given up the notion of romantic love, I will spend the next 5 years working on my Ph.D.

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene
Since I have given up the notion of romantic love, I will spend the next 5 years working on my Ph.D.
I admire that you are going back to fulfill your dream. I have found that "working on myself" is much more fulfilling than always try to mend a relationship or "fix" someone else.

Katherine: Don't give up yet- you never know when and where romance will turn up
I suspect that a lot of people tend to find love....when they stop looking for it ;)

KittyKitten

Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy
I recently finished my Masters in Biology and I wish to earn a Doctorate in Public Health Education. I hope to shatter the myths about fat being bad and urging women to love and nurture their bodies. Just because one is overweight does not mean they are unhealthy. But exercise is extremely important. I may have a foul font on the threads but I take education seriously.

ButlerGirl09

Sugar Magnolia
I'm in my first year of graduate school here in Chicago. I'm getting my PsyD in Clinical Psychology with a specialization in children and adolescents.

And now I should probably get back to my term paper that's due tomorrow morning! :D

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
I am at the brink of doing the same thing.
Phatchk: that's PoppyCock :mad:.. and I don't mean the delicious Popcorn snack... I just think that you know what you like and would settle for anything less. That's all.

Mikey

Has any of you ladies has had any problem being too smart? I am a woman that has many interests. I am extremely curious. At the moment I am studying to earn my bachelors in education and ESL certification. I want to teach English in Japan. And I am a woman that is knowledgeable in computers, Asian culture, animation, computer graphics, and digital arts. I am fluent in English, and Spanish. I am currently learning Japanese and Chinese is next on the list. However, in the past when I told guys my interest I feel they get overwhelmed or maybe is just to much for them to handle.
I have heard of that...women overwhelming men with their inteligence...I just don't get it. I find accomplished smart women a turn on. I went out with a woman who had her undergrad in Engineering from MIT and an MBA from Harvard, and had loads of problems holding a guy after she divulged that!!! She was the not the only woman I heard that from.

By the way, I am impressed...Japanese and Chinese are extremely difficult languages. Obviously you possess beauty and brains!

Mikey

I spent 9 years in academia first getting my B.S. in Biology, then my Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine. I may be a BBW web model in my spare time, but my day job is as a Veterinarian. I love that I can be both and hope people realize BBW's can be smart AND beautiful.
Here here!!!

Szombathy

I have a PhD in history, which means very little except it sometimes comes in handy when Jeopardy is on. Also am a history professor...

LovelyLiz

I'll be teaching my first class starting in February. Yikes! It's an introductory ethics class for masters students. So if any of you professors, like Szombathy, or anyone else, have any advice -- feel free to send it my way! Thanks! :bow:

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
I'm in my first year of graduate school here in Chicago. I'm getting my PsyD in Clinical Psychology with a specialization in children and adolescents.

And now I should probably get back to my term paper that's due tomorrow morning! :D

ButlerGirl09: how did things with your term paper... extra kudos for getting projects done despite the Thanksgiving week

ButlerGirl09

Sugar Magnolia

ButlerGirl09: how did things with your term paper... extra kudos for getting projects done despite the Thanksgiving week
Thanks for asking, Tony! I finished everything despite the fact that my roommate came back drunk at about midnight! :doh:

Its looking like I'm gonna wind up with at 4.0 for the semester! :shocked: Not sure how I accomplished that, but YESSS!

Jes

is oddly aroused
I'll be teaching my first class starting in February. Yikes! It's an introductory ethics class for masters students. So if any of you professors, like Szombathy, or anyone else, have any advice -- feel free to send it my way! Thanks! :bow:
The first time I ever taught, it was a trainwreck. TRAINWRECK. Turns out I was teaching undergrads the way I was used to having my grad seminars run. So my advice would be to make a lesson plan and then dial back your expectations. Don't launch into analysis of readings or whatever. Actually go through the readings. Who wrote what, who said what, what the take away points of each reading were. And then build on that with the class. Never forget that a bunch of students won't even have read the material (Booo!), so asking them to synthesize varying statements and examples isn't anything that's going to be fruitful. I also recommend that you augment your lesson plan notes with a 'how this worked out' section, after class. I found this very helpful. Noting what worked and what didn't (or how long certain things took compared to how long I'd guessed they'd take) helped me focus my next class.

good luck! and don't forget that you now have the power to make students cry! yay!

:)

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
The first time I ever taught, it was a trainwreck. TRAINWRECK. Turns out I was teaching undergrads the way I was used to having my grad seminars run. So my advice would be to make a lesson plan and then dial back your expectations. Don't launch into analysis of readings or whatever. Actually go through the readings. Who wrote what, who said what, what the take away points of each reading were. And then build on that with the class. Never forget that a bunch of students won't even have read the material (Booo!), so asking them to synthesize varying statements and examples isn't anything that's going to be fruitful. I also recommend that you augment your lesson plan notes with a 'how this worked out' section, after class. I found this very helpful. Noting what worked and what didn't (or how long certain things took compared to how long I'd guessed they'd take) helped me focus my next class.

good luck! and don't forget that you now have the power to make students cry! yay!

:)
Boo! Hiss! no "Dims Tenure" for you Dr. Jes ;)

LovelyLiz

Such great advice! Thank you so much, Jes! Especially that highlighted portion about dialing back expectations...very very helpful. As would happen in a seminar, I actually had planned on a lengthy discussion section for the readings (but I am requiring them to hand in 2-3 discussion questions they developed, based on the readings, each time we have class, so I'm hoping that will make it more likely they do some/all of the reading). But that's a really good idea just to go through the readings first, before launching into the discussion. Will definitely do that.

PhatChk

I have a PhD in history, which means very little except it sometimes comes in handy when Jeopardy is on. Also am a history professor...
Damn! I could have used you help in my last history class. I thought I was going to flunk it. Did not. :)

Jes

is oddly aroused
Boo! Hiss! no "Dims Tenure" for you Dr. Jes ;)
haha. I've totally made students cry, but unintentionally. For the most part. I've done a lot of tutoring in the writing center, and by the time many students come in for help, they are desperate. Anything you say may freak them out, so I always try to be aware of that. I'll look at, say, the shittiest paragraph I've ever seen (yes, even Ivy League students can't write), which is supposed to be part of a 20 page paper but is still only 1 paragraph, the night before it's due, and I'll say: Ok! Good start, we have a lot we can work with here! And I'll give 'em a big smile. I've seen students visibly relax at that kind of feedback. I do it that way, b/c at that point, most people have or will shut down, and writing isn't the most important thing right then, it's motivation and confidence that keep them going. Having been on the receiving end of professors who have no desk-side manner (shit! that's a great phrase! i'm going to patent that), even as recently as this spring, I know what it's like to feel insecure.

mergirl

You could do both and call yourself 'Dr Luuurve'. :D
It would be different if you said you didn't want romantic love.. but 'giving up'.. that just doesnt sound like the kind of thing you would do!! (From the very little i know of you! lol)

Latest posts