BBW in Academia Show Yourself

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

TygerKitty

haha. I've totally made students cry, but unintentionally. For the most part. I've done a lot of tutoring in the writing center, and by the time many students come in for help, they are desperate. Anything you say may freak them out, so I always try to be aware of that. I'll look at, say, the shittiest paragraph I've ever seen (yes, even Ivy League students can't write), which is supposed to be part of a 20 page paper but is still only 1 paragraph, the night before it's due, and I'll say: Ok! Good start, we have a lot we can work with here! And I'll give 'em a big smile. I've seen students visibly relax at that kind of feedback. I do it that way, b/c at that point, most people have or will shut down, and writing isn't the most important thing right then, it's motivation and confidence that keep them going. Having been on the receiving end of professors who have no desk-side manner (shit! that's a great phrase! i'm going to patent that), even as recently as this spring, I know what it's like to feel insecure.
That's a terrific approach! LOL @ "desk-side manner"! That's an awesome phrase!

Scary to think that even ivy league students aren't able to write... we're working our asses off trying to teach them in high school... the kids have to care though! :doh:

mergirl

Erm, did i mention i have an 'nc' in theatre arts... possibly.. though i may have failed dance.?? :D
Bet you are all too impressed with my grey matter to even speak.. please don't worry, you can approach me.. i still talk to the little people! (though i do laugh behind their backs as they try to form conversations properly.. silly wee insects i want to crush with my mighty academic fist of steel!!... erm i mean.. yeah.. i'm approachable!)
:D

evenmakejerryjonez

I spent 9 years in academia first getting my B.S. in Biology, then my Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine. I may be a BBW web model in my spare time, but my day job is as a Veterinarian. I love that I can be both and hope people realize BBW's can be smart AND beautiful.
Wow, that makes you all the more appealing.

Jes

is oddly aroused
That's a terrific approach! LOL @ "desk-side manner"! That's an awesome phrase!

Scary to think that even ivy league students aren't able to write... we're working our asses off trying to teach them in high school... the kids have to care though! :doh:
thank you! But for the sake of full disclosure, I should also admit that I once threatened to "beat [a student] to death my shoe" if he didn't shut his cell phone off.

Good for you for teaching high school students. You're doing God's work.

ps: is that a tiger givin' a lion some love in your avatar? what's going on there? did you know that tigers and lions are not the same species? because it's not obvious, especially in that photo.

TygerKitty

thank you! But for the sake of full disclosure, I should also admit that I once threatened to "beat [a student] to death my shoe" if he didn't shut his cell phone off.

ps: is that a tiger givin' a lion some love in your avatar? what's going on there? did you know that tigers and lions are not the same species? because it's not obvious, especially in that photo.
HAHA! In high school... we have the luxury of just TAKING the cell phone from them! It's pretty sweet!

I don't know @ the avatar... I just thought it was a cute pic lol! And yes, I know they aren't the same species... I don't even know if the pic is real or if it was photoshopped or something lol!

sweet&fat

My aim is true.

HAHA! In high school... we have the luxury of just TAKING the cell phone from them! It's pretty sweet!

I don't know @ the avatar... I just thought it was a cute pic lol! And yes, I know they aren't the same species... I don't even know if the pic is real or if it was photoshopped or something lol!
First- I second Jes' statement that you are doing god's work. Some days I want to kill my (university) students, and I'm far less responsible for shepherding their behavior. The latest spate of blatant, stupid plagiarism has made me laugh and shudder.

As for the tiger/lion issue, there are indeed mixes! Witness the Tigon and the Liger.

Jes

is oddly aroused
As for the tiger/lion issue, there are indeed mixes! Witness the Tigon and the Liger.
one of my high school interns (a few years back when I was teaching high school students over the summer), did a project in which she talked about engineering animals this way. It can be a terrible idea b/c the animals end up crazy and aggressive and not right in the head. I think the Liger is a good example of that. And Ned.

TygerKitty

Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of the liger and tigon... not to mention the totally uncreative names lol!

Thanks to everyone for the comments about the teaching... it's a pleasure! They only drive me bananas on Friday's usually lol... I love my students!

ItsLikeRachel

I hate the stereotype that fat people are lazy and unintelligent.
I'm blonde (naturally, anyway) AND fat, it's amazing how I managed to turn on the computer!

I don't think I'm highly intelligent or anything, but I'm not stupid. I want to teach, eventually... Right now I'm at university studying film, media and culture.

I'm glad this thread was started, reading about other people success gives me hope!

nettie

Congratulations to everyone who recently graduated!

woohoo i graduated yesterday :D

I am now a bachelor of Arts with Honours for Social Work
Congratulations and welcome to social work! Will you be pursuing further degrees or licenses?

LovelyLiz

My first semester of teaching is underway! So I'm now a legit professor. :cool:

I had a little period of questioning about what to have my students call me. I'm not done with my PhD yet, so I'm not a "Dr." and I didn't want to be called "Ms." because that is just stupid. And the reality is, I have a really informal, unpretentious personality, so it just didn't make sense to call me "Professor Smith" or whatever. So I'm just going with my first name.

It was a tough decision because probably about half the class is older than me (I'm not super young, but these grad students are a bit older - especially since I'm teaching a night class and most of them have jobs during the day) and I wondered whether it would be a problem if I was too informal.

But I really don't think true respect comes from a title anyway. What do you other professors on here have your students call you?

Latest posts