BBW/WG writer looking for advice

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

newbiefa

Hello everyone!

I've been self-publishing BBW and WG erotica for 2 years on Amazon’s Kindle Unlimited. While I have had a small degree of success, I feel like I've yet to find an audience.

You might be thinking: If you want to find an audience, why the heck are you publishing on Amazon and not here? And it's a completely fair assessment.

I’ll be completely honest. Writing these stories is something of a passion project, but I also dream of being able to make a living off of it. That way, I’d be able to spend my life doing something I actually care about, not just writing every other Sunday when I’m not drained from my nightmare of a day job.

I sincerely hope I'm not offending the praiseworthy writers who pour their heart and soul into stories they give away for free, but that’s precisely my conundrum. I don’t think it would be in good taste for me to promote my work here, where there are people who actually give something back free of charge. I feel indebted to many authors here, as I've enjoyed many of their stories over the years.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone here has any advice. How would I go about finding my audience? Do any of you regularly read authors from Amazon’s KU? Have any of you writers here found success on that platform? What are your thoughts?

Thanks so much for any input!

Corey

Corey
I think you need to remember who your audience is. Dimensions is a very specific site with members who enjoy reading your topics of literature, while Amazon has a plethora of topics that are not fat related. I have Amazon Prime, but I do not pay the monthly $10+ fee for Amazon Kindle Unlimited. To be honest, I’m hesitant to purchase something from a site that invites everyone to publish their work. How do I know the books are edited? How do I know it’s not garbage? That’s why free is so appealing.

When I purchase a book, it’s typically recommended by someone I trust, and I already have a general idea of what the book is about before spending my money. If a book doesn’t end the way I’d prefer, I’m generally okay with it because life happens differently for everyone and my mind is able to adapt to that fact.

However, for a lot of people, BBW/BHM is considered a fetish, and it’s very personal. Sometimes BBW/BHM writers have a tendency to allow their fantasies to get in the way of writing something that’s relatable and believable to the outside audience. A character will go through very extreme changes in appearance and daily life, making a romantic relationship with that character (or any relationship, for that matter) unrealistic and not believable. It leaves a disconnect between the characters and the plot, because the plot is purely fat driven, leaving the character development severely lacking. Not all stories are like that, obviously, but quite a few are.

At Dimensions, fat is not looked down upon, and it’s understood that being fat is just one part of a person; it does not define who a person is. To most readers on Amazon Kindle Unlimited, fat is fat is fat is fat is fat. Again, it’s all about your audience. I hope all that makes sense.

I know the issues above are very easy to fall victim to as a writer. It’s easy to let a fantasy take lead over a good plot and believable character relationships. Again, that’s why free is appealing here on Dimensions and any other platform similar to it. I don’t want to pay money and risk being disappointed by reading someone else’s very specific fetish and unrealistic fantasy.

That brings me to my next point. I think if you want to be successful as a BBW erotica author, then you have to build your fan base first. To do that, you’ll need to publish it for free on a platform geared specifically toward your BBW erotica topic. If readers love your work enough, I think they’ll be willing to follow you to other platforms which are not free.

I get what you’re saying- this is a passion that you’d like to make into your main job, so offering your work for free isn’t what you’d like to do. But, if 2 years have passed and you’re not satisfied with your numbers, then you have two options: keep doing what you’re doing, or show people that your self-published books are good enough to purchase.

Maybe there’s already a website out there that’s geared specifically toward BBW/BHM erotica that will allow you to publish your books for purchase. If something like that exists, then maybe go that route?

I hope this helps! And best of luck to you!

Last edited:

newbiefa

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough response.

I agree with you. Why would I pay money and risk being disappointed when there is so much free content? I've read some amazing stories published here and on other free sites, just as I've had to sort through a whole bunch of stories that were not for me. The same goes for paid content. Unfortunately, being published on a paid platform is not a guarantee of good quality. I've read free stories that were a million times better than some of the ones published on KU.

I will give some thought to your suggestion of publishing for free first to build a fan base. I've seen a few artists do similar stuff (as in, publish some stuff for free and then move to patreon or their own websites), so I think it's worth a shot.

Thanks again, Corey!

Polarisdreamerr

Maybe look into joining fantasy feeder, I think they have a premium story system that would allow you to profit off of your work, but I'm not quite sure how the system works. If you wanna look into it I think this is where to start:

Hope this was helpful, best of luck!

newbiefa

I hadn't been on FF in a while... The system for earning accounts looks interesting, I'm currently looking more into it. Thank you, Polarisdreamerr!

stevita

like the pancake
I feel you, it can be very difficult to try and make a living as a writer in an era where publication is so easy, and therefore the market is so saturated with material that you can easily get lost in a sea of media. I agree with agouderia's point about building a fanbase by making some of your material available for free; perhaps you could also setup a ko-fi or cashapp so people have the option of tipping you if they appreciate your work?

newbiefa

I didn't know about ko-fi, and it looks like a great option. I especially like that there's no pressure to churn out content on a regular basis, since I'm only able to write during my free time. Thanks, stevita!

Latest posts