Quantcast

BBWs in comics

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Dromond

Old school
https://www.facebook.com/john.m.pedigo, M
Positive examples of BBW characters in comics! I'm presenting two examples from webcomics I really enjoy to kick off the thread. Any comic source will do, comic books, webcomics, newspaper strips, whatever.

Templar Arizona sort of a slice of life storyline, set in an alternate history world. The webcomic is written and drawn by "Spike" Trotman (a woman). Linky to the archives: I direct you to the archives, because you really must read from the beginning to have any hope of understanding the story. The early chapters describe the world setting in great detail. If you don't have that background, the comic will make no sense. It says on the site that it updates M-W-F, but don't believe it. It updates whenever Spike gets around to doing a new page. Well worth the wait, though.

The BBW character is named Reagan Mancuso. She's not played for laughs, she's a serious character who happens to be fat. The fact that she's fat is beside the point to who she is. She's a foul mouthed, bawdy, ballsy, woman with a big heart. Also she has no sense of style, dressing more often than not like a drag queen. Spike's characters are very well developed.

Below is a picture of Reagan.

Girls With Slingshots is written/drawn by Danielle Corsetto. It also is a slice of life story with a few weird elements for comedy. This comic is more accessible, as it has far fewer weird elements than Templar, Arizona does. You can pretty much dive right in and enjoy the strip. I still recommend an archive binge, as it's just damn funny stuff. The strip updates every weekday, like freaking clockwork.

The BBW character is named Jamie McJack. She plays the lighthearted foil for her more dour best friend Hazel. Her character is presented as very sexy as well as being quite intelligent. Jamie sometimes comes across as the only sane one of the bunch. The character is very aware of her sex appeal, playing to the crowd. At the same time, she's always cheerful and nice to a fault. Below is a shot of Jamie and Hazel.

View attachment 20080413_JamieHazelSpring_ORIG02.jpg

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
I've never heard of "Templar Arizona" but I'll check it out.

However, I happen to be a big fan of "Girls With Slingshots" and I've chatted with Danielle Corsetto at conventions a couple times over the years...very pleasant and nice girl in person. I bought a nifty Batgirl print from her the last time I saw her.

As for my choice? It's early in the morning and I need to hit the sack. All I can think of right now is Francine from Terry Moore's classic "Strangers in Paradise" comic. She's not really a BBW, just a wonderfully curvy/voluptuous gal. Terry Moore's one of the few male artists I know who can draw a realistic looking woman.

Dennis

Bananaspills

Hey thanks for that, I've just spent a happy 3 hours reading "Girls With Slingshots!" :bow:

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
As for my choice? It's early in the morning and I need to hit the sack. All I can think of right now is Francine from Terry Moore's classic "Strangers in Paradise" comic. She's not really a BBW, just a wonderfully curvy/voluptuous gal. Terry Moore's one of the few male artists I know who can draw a realistic looking woman.

Dennis
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, the first person I thought of right away was Francine as well. SIP was a great comic!

Dromond

Old school
A new find!

Between Failures is a story about a group of underachievers who work at a generic big box entertainment store. It's definitely a slice of life genre comic. The main male protagonist, named Jay "Thomas" Blackwell, is a brilliant slacker who has a heart of gold, but is something of a jerk for fun. He is likable despite his jerkish tendencies. The main female protagonist is of interest to us. The character is named Carol Graves and is definitely a larger lady. This somewhat NSFW link shows Carol in just about all her glory. She's bossy, sarcastic, and has a temper, but she also is likable in spite of her abrasive outward nature.

It has nearly 1,000 pages, so an archive binge will take some time. I do recommend starting from the beginning, though, as the story is entirely serial.

dharmabean

♥ ɢrÃ¥тıтuɗɛ
OMG why haven't I seen this thread before now?

Much, Much :wubu: Love!

dharmabean

♥ ɢrÃ¥тıтuɗɛ
Ok, so... My real name is Regan. Although it's spelled different, A BBW with the name REAGAN...and wears glasses, with long dark hair.. HOLY SHITBALLS BATMAN! I found a new comic strip.

Below is a picture of Reagan.

mollycoddles

I've seen a few good ones:

Between Failures is a fun slice-of-life comic, with a pretty red-headed BBW in the main cast.

Official Space Girl is about a BBW traveling through space. Other comics by the same author also feature BBWs, although they're not as overt.

Intragalactic also features a cast of BBWs in space. Good comedy. It's by the same person who did Gorgeous Princess Creamy Beamy.

Murry Purry Fresh and Furry
also commonly features BBWs, although be warned it's a furry comic so your mileage may vary.

Blur the Lines features a gay couple, one of whom is a BHM.

There used to be a webcomic called Craving Control about a slim girl with a massive appetite who was frequently shown gorging and developing a large belly. Not exactly a BBW comic and kind of more overtly fetishy than most. But you might enjoy it if you can find it anywhere.

That Guy You Met Once

This is relevant to my interests, I guess.

I did a comic for one pilot issue of a comic about a month and a half ago for a contest to create a plus-sized superheroine. The character I ended up with is pretty unconventional - and morally ambiguous, I'll admit - for a superhero, but I like the final result, and I guess she still counts. They still haven't judged my entry, so I have no idea how it's going to fare yet, but for now, I'll put it here.

Here it is.

And here's a sketch dump with some character concepts.
Linked because it's enormous.

I'm fine with the job I did on the character design, but I'm in no position to do the art for the final project myself, so if I can't find someone to help finance it or collaborate with me, I'm currently saving up so I can hire this guy - his prices are pretty reasonable - for the full series. I'm planning on doing a serial of about 150-200 pages total.

Any feedback (even negative) would be helpful.

spiritangel

AmandaClause
What about strangers in paradise (though I guess by dims standards she would be considered skinny)

and dont forget Derrick Fish's the Wellkeeper I swear his main character looks like Micara

Dromond

Old school
A blog post by the author of Between Failures. This is relevant to our interests.

http://betweenfailures.net/archives/5490

The image may not be safe for work, so here is the relevant part of the post:

I like all kinds of girls, but given the choice I’ll go for a cuddlin’ one. I have a theory that the only reason I don’t get tons of shit when I draw sexy stuff is because I combine my sexy with fatties sometimes. So, like, the fatties protect me from the people who would give me crap. I have a protective sheild of chubby hotties sheltering me from the harsh words of social justice. Or maybe that’s just MY MOST FAVORITE DREAM EVER.
The last sentence I think is something we can all support.

olwen

Disco Bear
I'm rather glad this thread is here.

So, I've begun to realize that the only way to read comic books with characters who look like me (actually fat as opposed to just a little plump, black-not a stereotype either, and female) is to just write them myself. I've actually got a script for a graphic novel about a character who looks like me. It's one of those parallel universe/doppleganger sort of stories but with a twist. Anyone interested in doing some penciling for a few pages of it? I just need some sample pages to submit to an editor. If no one here is interested, does any one know of any other sites where someone might be interested?

Dromond

Old school
I'm rather glad this thread is here.

So, I've begun to realize that the only way to read comic books with characters who look like me (actually fat as opposed to just a little plump, black-not a stereotype either, and female) is to just write them myself. I've actually got a script for a graphic novel about a character who looks like me. It's one of those parallel universe/doppleganger sort of stories but with a twist. Anyone interested in doing some penciling for a few pages of it? I just need some sample pages to submit to an editor. If no one here is interested, does any one know of any other sites where someone might be interested?
In my younger days I could have done it for you. Sadly, my health problems have led to persistent hand tremors, so my artist days are behind me. There are plenty of artists, some of them quite good (and some pretty bad) on DeviantArt that will work for commission.