Becoming Obese for the First Time

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
Isn't "obese" more specific than "fat"? Isn't anyone who's overweight "fat"?
It depends on how you define “overweight.” Most people use BMI as the metric for defining healthy, overweight or obese. But that greatly overstates the problem. I’m 5’7” and weigh 161: BMI of 25.2, overweight. Yet I’m pretty darn fit. If by definition I am “overweight” but not “fat” I think we can conclude the answer to your question is no.

degek2001

I think also fat means a big person and is more on perspective of the person how said someone is fat. The word 'obese' does suggests an fact, but is also a judgment.

TwoSwords

I think also fat means a big person and is more on perspective of the person how said someone is fat. The word 'obese' does suggests an fact, but is also a judgment.
I think the word "fat" is the best overall word for it; not only the simplest and the briefest, but the most direct and the most enjoyable to hear and say. It carries with it emotions and memories of the most endearing sort (for some of us,) encouraging focus on all the sweetest accidents of the physical state.

However, like most words in "living" languages, it gets used to mean things we'd rather it didn't from time to time. In particular, I feel the word "fat" is not specific enough; being applied to many people who are definitely not fat, just because they're not the societal ideal in certain areas. Some people might take issue with the fact that the word can also be used to describe the fat itself, and not just the person, but I'm used to the idea of words having multiple definitions, as long as you can differentiate between them based on context.

extra_m13

interesting thing is 60 pounds in 10 years amount to 6 pounds per year which would not seem a big deal but... the power of consistency is amazing.

Reactions: Tad

Fat Molly

hufflepuff hobbit
I'm with Chubbynate on this one, haha. When I hit 300 lbs, I was like "is this it? I can still see my feet if you lean a little."

I guess, especially as an average-height man with a bit of muscle, 300 lbs isn't all that big. My belly only sags like a little. Mainstream media led me to believe I'd be like a jiggling tub of lard at 300, but I was just cuddly, instead.
On my petite frame, 200 is proportionally similar, with a similar reaction ;)

LifelongFA

I'm the same way. I don't normally even think of that word. Fat is so much easier :p
Obese is a medical term - ugh! You know what they say, once you go Obese, you stop dieting and start living!

There are so many more fun words out there, no?

I remember the first women I met that actually liked being called fat, I just swooned!

Last edited:

LJ Rock

Reading this thread brought back a funny memory from my youth: I was about 11 years old and someone gave me a little paperback dictionary, and I can remember going through it and looking up all of the synonyms I could find to do with fat: obese, corpulent, plump, chubby, etc. LOL I guess it gave me a little thrill. I wonder if anyone else ever did anything like that when they were kids.

Personally I don't find the word "obese" to be particularly offensive or bothersome. Just like any other word, it's just a description and the meaning is in the context. It certainly is more "clinical" sounding than other more fun sounding fatty-words; if you're one who likes to engage ins some sexy fat-talk, you'd probably find some much better and more colorful descriptors in your vocabulary. :)

But when I look at the BMI chart and see that I fall under the "obese" catagory - it still feels funny to me, because I don't really think of myself as being all that fat. But I guess I'm just fat enough to be obese, and that's alright with me. ;)

Shotha

DM Supporter
Reading this thread brought back a funny memory from my youth: I was about 11 years old and someone gave me a little paperback dictionary, and I can remember going through it and looking up all of the synonyms I could find to do with fat: obese, corpulent, plump, chubby, etc. LOL I guess it gave me a little thrill. I wonder if anyone else ever did anything like that when they were kids.

Personally I don't find the word "obese" to be particularly offensive or bothersome. Just like any other word, it's just a description and the meaning is in the context. It certainly is more "clinical" sounding than other more fun sounding fatty-words; if you're one who likes to engage ins some sexy fat-talk, you'd probably find some much better and more colorful descriptors in your vocabulary. :)

But when I look at the BMI chart and see that I fall under the "obese" catagory - it still feels funny to me, because I don't really think of myself as being all that fat. But I guess I'm just fat enough to be obese, and that's alright with me. ;)
Whenever I acquire a new dictionary for a language that I'm learning, I look up all the words that I can find, which are synonymous or almost synonymous with fat.

My avoidance of the words "obese" and "overweight" is not so much to do with me finding them offensive as finding that they don't fit in with my view of the world. I don't go a bundle on words containing the prefix "over-" and "obese" is from the Latin "obesus" meaning "overeaten", I believe that Nature produces extremes but no excesses and so "over-" makes little sense to me. And so, in my mind a person can never be too fat nor can they eat to much.

And, of course, I'm very etymological.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
From conversations with other F/FAs on here, I can tell you that it is extremely common to have been infatuated with the words and looked them up in dictionaries as a kid. Just a quirk of being an FA, I suppose, hah.

LJ Rock

I believe that Nature produces extremes but no excesses and so "over-" makes little sense to me. And so, in my mind a person can never be too fat nor can they eat to much.
I can't help but be reminded of a great line from one of my favorite films of all time: "It is never 'too much'; it is only 'not enough'!" :D

Latest posts

Group builder