• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Being Nice to Fat People? It Matters

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superodalisque

even if it's not perfect some people are listening at least somewhat. they still think we should be thin though. excerpt:

Being Nice to Fat People? It Matters

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/angela-meadows/being-nice-to-fat-people-it-matters_b_4131826.html

A couple of days ago, the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence released a draft of their new guidelines for the treatment of "overweight and obese adults". I am not going to talk about the guidelines in general - that is a whole other blog post and I've covered many of the points elsewhere; but I do want to focus on one of the recommendations from the guidelines that seems to have captured the attention of the press and that has been the focus of most of the news stories about the guidelines. What is it that's gotten everybody so excited? One phrase: that healthcare providers should "ensure the tone and content of all communications or dialogue is respectful and non-blaming." I'll let you ponder on that for a moment.

here are some other things i found on the link National Institute of Health and Care Excellence that might be of interest:

What action should they take?

 Be aware of the effort needed to lose weight and avoid further weight gain
and the stigma adults who are overweight or obese may feel or experience.
Ensure the tone and content of all communications or dialogue is respectful
and non-blaming. The terminology used to describe the person’s condition
should respect individual preferences.

 Ensure equipment and facilities meet the needs of most adults who are
overweight or obese. For example, referrers to, and providers of, lifestyle
weight management services should ensure large blood pressure cuffs are
available and any new scales can accurately weigh the heaviest patients
seen by the service.
 Only measure the waist circumference of people with a BMI less than 35
kg/m2
 Respect individual preference for privacy (for example, at a regular
weigh-in).