Being serious about COVID-19

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Joker

Many of you know me for my jokes and things I do for homeless but I have to be serious. This is no longer political or a joke it is killing people close to me 3 in my building alone just in the last 3 weeks. Get the vaccinations if you can and don't make fun of it not being real I was vaxxed and may need a booster because I am a cancer survivor but do your best in this war now don't over react but fight for others. If not yourself.

Tracyarts

My husband lost his closest childhood friend to Covid a couple of weeks ago. I found out a high school classmate of mine died from the virus as well. My husband and I have had to be so careful, both of us are on immunosuppressant medications for autoimmune diseases. We already got our third vaccine, it was made available for immunocompromised people here a few weeks ago. We live in an area the virus is spreading uncontrolled, so we got in the same week we became eligible for boosters.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Just received the news that our neighborhood taxi driver (49) is in intensive care on a ventilator. His mother (77) passed away from Covid19 this morning - he had infected her.

Despite his job, he was an avid anti-vaxxer who told everybody who got the shot they would die within 2 years from the vaccination. Instead he regularly went to church to kiss icons to "protect" himself.

Looking into the statistics of the death toll in religious communities, the numbers tell us that science definitely has the better arguments on its side.

Empress Maria Theresia of Austria (1717-1780) already had her (5 youngest) children vaccinated against small pox as soon as a vaccination became available because she had lost so many family members to the disease.
Her second youngest child was French Queen Marie Antoinette (1755-1793) - who to this day enjoys a ridiculously distorted reputation of being one of the worst airheads in international history - who had her husband and his brothers (and heirs to the throne) vaccinated immediately after ascending the French throne (and later her children) to keep them safe.

Vaccinations have saved billions of lives over the past 250 years - long before any "big pharma" conspiracy theories popped up. Educate yourself and get vaccinated!

BigElectricKat

I've got the brains, you've got the looks...
Staff member
Global Moderator
In the last year and a half, I have overseen 37 bodies being entered into our morgue. Thirty one of them had died due to Covid-19. Unzipping the bag. Looking in to check that the tags match. Feeling the cold dead skin beneath my gloved hand. The body stiff with rigor mortis. These are someone's mother, father, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, cousin. Being on a first name basis with several mortuary/funeral home drivers is a sad achievement.

I had to stop taking these calls because it saddened me to the point of depression. Luckily for me, I don't have to be faced with that any longer.

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene
I wonder if people had this type of reaction to Tuberculosis and Polio vaccinations? How many people get flu shots and hepatitis vaccines? Our advanced medicinal practices have helped the world population go over 7 billion people. Why all the fricking paranoia? Be paranoid about how that shit has spread all over the damn world- not how to prevent it

BTW, my brother resided in a nursing home and we couldn't see him for most of the last year of his life. I felt glad he was in that place....until one of those workers HAD to bring it into him.
People working in healthcare who don't protect themselves....are not heroes IMO

Joker

I wonder if people had this type of reaction to Tuberculosis and Polio vaccinations? How many people get flu shots and hepatitis vaccines? Our advanced medicinal practices have helped the world population go over 7 billion people. Why all the fricking paranoia? Be paranoid about how that shit has spread all over the damn world- not how to prevent it
When Science becomes political.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I know there have been vaccine protests in the past (I've recently read/heard about stuff with smallpox vaccines in the 1800s, and I forget what vaccine around the 1st world war time). I don't know how many vaccines they happened with, but the impression I've had is that the harder the vaccine is forced, the more staunch objections happen in reaction. I think sometimes it is as much people not liking change as it is anything else?

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
I know there have been vaccine protests in the past (I've recently read/heard about stuff with smallpox vaccines in the 1800s, and I forget what vaccine around the 1st world war time). I don't know how many vaccines they happened with, but the impression I've had is that the harder the vaccine is forced, the more staunch objections happen in reaction. I think sometimes it is as much people not liking change as it is anything else?
"Not liking change" - is the essence of conservatism and has been around as long as humanity. That includes protest against medical progress which has also always been a part of all scientific advances. Clerical/religious protest and resistance for instance is one that has been a steady accompaniment to all medical evolutions so far.

So protests 200 years ago against small pox vaccinations will have been around.

The major change over the past 30 years by now has been the amount of and access to communication channels. 200 years ago communication was slow, a limited number of newspapers with few pages existed and illiteracy was a major impediment. Today, anybody can create their own more or less global and unlimited channel within minutes.
In consequence, even minority or deviant causes and opinions spread quickly and widely to the point of distorting their actual significance
Content analysis for instance shows in many countries, that anti-vaxxers receive much more attention in the mainstream media (including search engines btw) than their real numbers warrant.

Rojodi

BTW, my brother resided in a nursing home and we couldn't see him for most of the last year of his life. I felt glad he was in that place....until one of those workers HAD to bring it into him.
People working in healthcare who don't protect themselves....are not heroes IMO
Sister, 4 cousins are RNs or above! They worked last year in hospitals to help with the COVID patients. This year, sister is in a state where the ICUs are overrun, and only works in the local hospital as a shift cover, helping nurses not be burned out!

So sorry for your loss Green.

I'm vaxxed, unwaxed, and pissed off! Oh and we fired 10 unvaccinated workers last week and will be doing more "employment separations" tomorrow and Thursday!

Rojodi

Another Update:
Cousin with a Ph. D. in Nursing Sciences is on her way to AL to help with pediatric COVID cases. She's going there to help with the mental health and wellbeing of the nurses.

Rojodi

Got yelled at by nurses as I walked back from the market and not wearing my mask as I walked in their parking lot! "You KNOW better," one said, the only one in the entire hospital that worked with my sister for years.

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene