BHM fashion question

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by bluetech, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Jun 15, 2019 #1

bluetech

bluetech

bluetech

5’9”, 370# or so here. Question for other pretty big guys out there - belt over or under belly? Most big guys I see wear the belt low and let the belly hang over, but when I try it that way my belt buckle digs in uncomfortably. On the other hand, I am not sure if I like how it looks the other way with the belt over the belly. My wife says it makes me look like a grandpa.

Thoughts/suggestions from other fat guys who might be in the same boat?

2. Jun 15, 2019 #2

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

My BHM Love always wore the pants over the belly, with a belt, for casual wear. In a suit (drool) he wore braces to keep the pants up. I really think it is what is comfortable to you.

3. Jun 15, 2019 #3

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Staff Member Library Mod

Bluetech - I'm sorry, but your wife is right. Belt over belly looks grandfatherly and is simply not flattering.

Why? Because although it in theory has the advantage of balancing proportions by making the legs longer (necessary on many men and women) - it at the same time cuts off at the widest point of the body all the while making it more boxy since woven farbric over belly never brings out a good shape.

DragonFly is right that braces/suspenders are an excellent and eye-catching way to develop your personal style while being able to hold your pants at exactly the ideal proportional point of your body.

Since that is not a style that works for everyone and anytime - what you should do is invest a little in trouser fit with the aim of turning your belt only into an accessory and not a tool needed to keep your pants in place (which solves the belt buckle digging part). You can find - mainly dress - pants that have a hidden, slidable elastic in the waistband to adjust to perfect fit. With all other pants, find a good tailor and have small (app. 1.5 inch) heavy duty pieces of elastic in the according color shown into 3-4 slits in your waistband so they fit and stay put exactly where you need them along your waistline (also make sure that the pants are hemmed to the perfect length for that fit). Belt is then only a stylish add on - put you have the most comfortable and flattering fit.

fat hiker, Tad and lille like this.
  4. Jun 17, 2019 #4

lille

lille

lille

My husband who is just a little smaller than you wears his under. I agree with your wife on the over looking grandfatherly. If we’re dressing up very fancy he does have suspenders that he wears.

Tad likes this.
  5. Jun 17, 2019 #5

Ffancy

Ffancy

Ffancy

My BF is around your size and he wears suspenders with casual looks by layering: undershirt, then suspenders, then t-shirt + maybe a sweater, coat or button down, depending on the weather and the level of casualness. And pants obviously. He’s very determined to never let bare belly peep out (a bear hazard haha) so he does wear undershirts almost always when he’s out of the house.

fat hiker, Tad and lille like this.
  6. Jun 17, 2019 #6

lille

lille

lille

My husband also wear undershirts but only with button downs.

fat hiker likes this.
  7. Jun 17, 2019 #7

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Not all bellies are built the same. Some are firmer, others softer. Some sit higher and others lower. Some spread wide to the sides and others like to just stick out front. Throw in various heights, waist lengths, hip widths and butt fullnesses, and what works well on one guy is not guaranteed to work well on another.

I think all the advice you got was great, but don't just follow it verbatim. Use it as hypothesises and then do the appropriate experiments to prove or disprove each hypothesis.

In other words, if under the belly also means halfway down your butt, with the crotch halfway to your knees like a nineties skater boy, then it probably isn't an improvement

fat hiker and lille like this.
  8. Jun 17, 2019 #8

bubba350

bubba350

bubba350

Always where over the belly. You have to find your natural waist .
    Much like the ladies we can be high or short waisted.
    I now down to around 300 but plenty of belly hang still there from the 425 days years ago.
    Under the belly is uncomfortable for me. Not enough butt to hold pants up , when wearing under the belly. Avoid tucked in shirts when possible.

fat hiker likes this.
  9. Jun 18, 2019 #9

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

It depends on what a guy feels comfortable with. There's physical comfort and emotional comfort. Physical comfort means wearing clothes just so that they feel physically comfortable, e.g. belt buckle to the side rather than at the front, so that it doesn't dig into the belly and hurt. Emotional comfort means how confident you feel about your belly and letting others see it. Some guys are more aware than others that there are people, who think that a guy's belly is an attractive feature. You can wear your shirt or T-shirt not tucked in to your pants. This allows the belly to peep out but doesn't reveal much of its curvature. On the other hand, if you tuck your shirt or T-shirt in, then so long as it has enough length, the belly doesn't peep out but its sweeping curve is on full display. I think that you just have to go with what gives you most confidence.

Medlab, nsandru, fat hiker and 2 others like this.
  10. Jun 18, 2019 #10

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

Really love your way of explaining the physical and emotional comforts. Thank you

fat hiker and Shotha like this.
  11. Jun 18, 2019 #11

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

There's a third option. You can wear your belt right round your point of greatest circumference, if your belly is the right shape to hold your pants up. The belt right around the middle makes a guy look so tubby and cute, just like a big teddy bear.

nsandru and fat hiker like this.
  12. Jul 11, 2019 #12

nsandru

nsandru

nsandru

I wear my shorts with the belt under the belly and have done so for many years. When I wear a shirt - I prefer to be shirtless - I don't tuck it and I leave it often unbuttoned. I go almost always in shorts and sleeveless shirts, year round, this is how I feel comfortable.